Jump to content

Sky Take Five / Crooners


Tedferg
 Share

Recommended Posts

We travel with another couple and always enjoy our time in Crooners or Wheelhouse Bar. Looking at Canada New England September 2020. Two itineraries are Sky and one Caribbean. Does Take Five adequately replace Crooners for casual drinks before or after dinner ? Also what is the sound like in Take Five ? I enjoy Jazz but concerned that it might be too noisy for conversation. We might be inclined towards Caribbean because of Crooners.

 

Any reason to avoid Caribbean because of her age ?

Edited by Tedferg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have been on the Caribbean twice. It is in good condition and well run. The only problem we saw was the theater. There just aren't enough seats. Arrive at least 30 minutes early for production shows and 45 minutes to an hour early for Bravo.

No first hand information on the Sky. I would expect some pre-dinner music to be in the Piazza, and maybe other locations like the Crown Grill Bar, Princess Live or Take Five. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

We travel with another couple and always enjoy our time in Crooners or Wheelhouse Bar. Looking at Canada New England September 2020. Two itineraries are Sky and one Caribbean. Does Take Five adequately replace Crooners for casual drinks before or after dinner ? Also what is the sound like in Take Five ? I enjoy Jazz but concerned that it might be too noisy for conversation. We might be inclined towards Caribbean because of Crooners.

 

Any reason to avoid Caribbean because of her age ?

The reason to avoid the Caribbean is lack of enough seating at any bar. Usually SRO. I would go with the Sky; Take 5 should be a positive addition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

User dides did us a great favor in live-blogging the first revenue cruise on the Sky a few weeks back and you can find their quick take on Take Five as conversation space here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2704056-live-from-the-sky-princess-med-inaugural/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-58649958 (other thoughts interspersed throughout the whole thread)


If you're interested, you can also find the menu for Take Five here as well, also from dideshttps://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2704056-live-from-the-sky-princess-med-inaugural/?do=findComment&comment=58641581

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Take 5 space is the same as Club 6 on the other Royal Class ships.

IMO the space was an after thought. Oh we only have this space left on the ship lets put a lounge in there.

It is long, narrow and unappealing. I avoid it now after trying to like it many times on the Regal and Royal.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The Take 5 space is the same as Club 6 on the other Royal Class ships.

IMO the space was an after thought. Oh we only have this space left on the ship lets put a lounge in there.

It is long, narrow and unappealing. I avoid it now after trying to like it many times on the Regal and Royal.

We don't care for Club 6 either, and after a couple of initial visits, we never went back.  I was hopeful that Take 5 was different/improved (like they seem to have improved Princess Live).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, High C's said:

We don't care for Club 6 either, and after a couple of initial visits, we never went back.  I was hopeful that Take 5 was different/improved (like they seem to have improved Princess Live). 

The new Live space is much bigger and totally different from that first claustrophobic space. 

Take 5 other than decor is the same.  🙁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jeanandjim said:

Not true.

Jim😎

 

How is it different?  It is in the same location and, while the shape along the wall shared with the casino looks a little different, overall it is looks to be the same length and width as Club 6 on the Royal Princess according to the deck plans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The Take 5 space is the same as Club 6 on the other Royal Class ships.

IMO the space was an after thought. Oh we only have this space left on the ship lets put a lounge in there.

 

 

Not an after-thought.

 

It was Princess' best thought of how to replace Skywalkers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Take 5 is anything similar to Club 6 it too can be crossed off my list of places to hang out.  I really loved Skywalkers not only because it had all the equipment for a disco but the view was to die anytime of the day.  We went one time to Princess Live and never went back to that wasted box.  It will be interesting to see its replacement next year on Sky.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

If Take 5 is anything similar to Club 6 it too can be crossed off my list of places to hang out.  I really loved Skywalkers not only because it had all the equipment for a disco but the view was to die anytime of the day.  We went one time to Princess Live and never went back to that wasted box.  It will be interesting to see its replacement next year on Sky.  

Enchanted??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I for one, will keep an open mind about a brand new ship and form my own unbiased opinion about the various venues ... and it has been posted that one of our favorite bar staff from CB got her desired transfer to SKY ...

 

I am not at all a 'live in the past, glory dayz' person and live in the now ... glass half full ... I never let the 1% dictate my feelings over the 99%

 

Monday, Monday ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, capriccio said:

 

How is it different?  It is in the same location and, while the shape along the wall shared with the casino looks a little different, overall it is looks to be the same length and width as Club 6 on the Royal Princess according to the deck plans.

You are right about the length, but the width has been increased by about 30% (in my interpretation of the deck plans). The lines are much cleaner and the bar does not stick out as far into the space. As viewed on a video I have seen, the seating area has a much more open concept, similar to Crooners. The old Club six seemed to be rather compartmentalized. The stage area and the piano by the dance floor appear to be visible from anywhere in the room.

I anticipate after watching the production show in the theater this coming Sunday, we will go to the Crown Grill Bar to listen to music by solo pianist Slava. I will then retire to Take five for a Woodford Reserve and listen to the Phillipe Lavoipierre Jazz Trio.

I will then be able to come back to this thread and give a more informed opinion.

Jim😎 

Edited by jeanandjim
spelling
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jeanandjim said:

I anticipate after watching the production show in the theater this coming Sunday, we will go to the Crown Grill Bar to listen to music by solo pianist Slava. I will then retire to Take five for a Woodford Reserve and listen to the Phillipe Lavoipierre Jazz Trio.

How positively refined!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

I for one, will keep an open mind about a brand new ship and form my own unbiased opinion about the various venues ... and it has been posted that one of our favorite bar staff from CB got her desired transfer to SKY ...

 

I am not at all a 'live in the past, glory dayz' person and live in the now ... glass half full ... I never let the 1% dictate my feelings over the 99%

 

Monday, Monday ...

I will second that motion!  My wife and I never like to judge a book by the cover...or by the reviews from others.  Only way is to go and do it yourself and see if it meets your needs.  If I'm good with it, truth is, I don't really care if anyone else is or not. 

 

You are also correct that many people want to compare what used to be and it clouds their judgment on what actually is today.  I always judge something on the value it provides on it's own and not compared to what was or could be.  I don't knock others for their opinion, but I am also not swayed by anyone's opinion besides my own.  If I like it, I go back...if not I don't.  Simple as that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Best thought = After thought. 
There is absolutely no comparison.

 

Poorly thought out. Agree that there is no comparison to the Explorers Lounge that it replaced even though it holds about the same number of passengers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

You are right about the length, but the width has been increased by about 30% (in my interpretation of the deck plans). The lines are much cleaner and the bar does not stick out as far into the space. As viewed on a video I have seen, the seating area has a much more open concept, similar to Crooners. The old Club six seemed to be rather compartmentalized. The stage area and the piano by the dance floor appear to be visible from anywhere in the room.

I anticipate after watching the production show in the theater this coming Sunday, we will go to the Crown Grill Bar to listen to music by solo pianist Slava. I will then retire to Take five for a Woodford Reserve and listen to the Phillipe Lavoipierre Jazz Trio.

I will then be able to come back to this thread and give a more informed opinion.

Jim😎 

Thanks for the offer to report back, much appreciated. I'd love to know more about this venue, as Crooners was our go-to bar and will be missed. A couple of requests if I may be so bold: if at all possible, could you post some pictures, as that would help some of us understand the layout, Also, could you report back on the availability of seating for two, (particularly any against the windows) as the few images I've seen didn't seem to show much. Hopefully, there will be as many tables for two as in the old Crooners. Thanks again....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...