What’s with the negativity?

Fincherson

19 hours ago, Fincherson said:

We just booked out first Princess Cruise (Sun Princess) after having previously sailed only Carnival and NCL. I was excited to get on Cruise Critic and join in on the fun/discussion on a new board, only to find it’s mainly negativity, rudeness and complaining. Am I missing something? Does Princess suck or are people generally more persnickety? Maybe I’m just reading the wrong threads? I’m kind of afraid to post this but I really want to know if I made a mistake giving Princess a try. Is it as mediocre as these posts make it sound?

Some have cruised on Princess exclusively, others like yourself have tried other lines.  We were on the Sun Princess last January out of Sydney.  We cruised the Fiji Islands.  The ship was okay, older, and yes cut backs.  I don't take offense to someone voicing their opinion of any Princess ship - it's just an opinion.  If it isn't smoking on balconies, barrel chairs being removed, a pat of butter not being served, blah, blah, it doesn't affect whether I cruise on Princess or not.  I do what I'm going to do and it's not based on what someone's opinion is.  I've seen plenty on cruises that would send a newbie to get off the ship at the next port and fly home.  Experience it yourself, come up with your own opinions and decide whether you want to cruise on Princess again.  I will say this, I'll never fly another 15 hours one way to board the Sun Princess.  It's a totally different animal than what's here in the States.  Take what others say as their opinion and not what you expect to experience.

OP, I'm certain you will enjoy your first and likely not last Princess cruise.  These message boards wouldn't exist if all anyone ever said was "everything was perfect, I wouldn't change a thing".  Reality is that this sort of public feedback forum tends to skew to the extremes - all good or nothing good at all.  

When using CC or Yelp or anything similar I've adopted a practice of throwing out the best and worst reviews and looking at how the rest of the population distributes.  In the case of Princess I think you'l find that the fat part of the distribution curve skews slightly above expectation.  Yes, there are many detractors including some who were disappointed in their experience and some (more IMHO) who just remember how good it used to be in the 'good ole days'.  The truth is, things are pretty good right now, there have been reductions here and there, but additions too.  I'm fairly happy with the course Princess has been charting overall.

I attempt to be balanced in my criticism of Princess (feel free to review my other submissions).  They are not perfect by any means.  On the other hand I've never had a holiday with Princess which wasn't very good, many have been fabulous.  We've had disappointments too but we've shaken these off as lessons, we do try to focus on the positive surprises of which there are quite many on any given cruise.  

Again, I'm quite certain you'll enjoy your cruise.  Until then, filter out both the overly positive and overly negative feedback.  Your experience is almost certain to be closer to the former than the latter.  This community will benefit greatly if you feedback your impressions afterwards - I often get more out of first time cruisers feedback since they see everything with fresh eyes.

I've only sailed once with Princess, and really enjoyed the experience.  (We're going again next month, so that says something). 

The only issues I had ...

Orange juice is vile, so avoid it. 

Musicians in the Piazza and the sound level of MUTS are beyond deafening.  

But rating my experience on the typical "1 to 10", I would still give it a 10. 

1 hour ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I've only sailed once with Princess, and really enjoyed the experience.  (We're going again next month, so that says something). 

The only issues I had ...

Orange juice is vile, so avoid it. 

Musicians in the Piazza and the sound level of MUTS are beyond deafening.  

But rating my experience on the typical "1 to 10", I would still give it a 10. 

Oh yeah. Love Princess (I generally ignore or take with a grain of salt those who are negative).

Speaking from 25 cruises with 6 more booked. First time we walked on a Princess ship we knew we were "home".

23 hours ago, Fincherson said:

We just booked out first Princess Cruise (Sun Princess) after having previously sailed only Carnival and NCL. I was excited to get on Cruise Critic and join in on the fun/discussion on a new board, only to find it’s mainly negativity, rudeness and complaining. Am I missing something? Does Princess suck or are people generally more persnickety? Maybe I’m just reading the wrong threads? I’m kind of afraid to post this but I really want to know if I made a mistake giving Princess a try. Is it as mediocre as these posts make it sound?

Princess is a great cruise line.  We have sailed RCI, HAL, and Princess.  Princess has become our lone of choice.  So just enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I started cruising  18 years with Princess .Never cruised with any other cruise line.So when I am disappointed with the changes and quality of food in the Main dining room dinner menu  I have learned through you guys it is the same on all the cruise lines.All have cut back pity.I admit not a big eater but a fussy picky one😒Sorry was born like that it is in the genes.Otherwise the employees on Princess are marvelous ,even to an elderly cranky disabled that I am.Cabins are kept immaculate .Entertainment is great .Oh 'The liars club' one of my favorites nearly "blank myself laughing.

Its the employees that have kept me returning to Princess.

Yes you get different opinions but the most important one is yours.We see things differently from one another.'What is good for the goose is not necessary good for the gander'

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Generally, the longer a person has been cruising, the more negative their comments. 

The litany is consistent: quality of [fill-in the blank] has declined. I wonder if the quality of the cruiser has declined. 😉

I don't know if I would say declined. I would say has changed as has society itself. Maybe because I'm older but take memorial services for the departed. In previous decades you would never go to a wake or funeral in anything less than a shirt and tie, often a suit. Not unusual now to see people dressed in any fashion. Is it right or wrong, eye of beholder. To me and much of my generation dressing properly was a sign of respect. For later generations they do not understand that linkage. Again who is right and who is wrong, not for me to judge.

BUT if I offer my opinion here that proper dress should be observed in a seated public dining area, or that some service has declined, it is not my judgement, it is my observation and opinion. Does that make me a complainer, whiner, as some would say on boards. I do not believe so.  Now we all could just say cruises and Princess are wonderful, perfect! Why then have discussion boards?

George in NY

• Like 2

There is a difference between Princess ships.  Sailing on the Regal or Diamond is nothing like sailing on the Sea or Sun.  Research your ship and know what you are getting.  (Or not getting).  

I have sailed on 8 different cruise lines, all have good points and not so good.  I tend to sail more on Princess now because of the Elite benefits but you take the good with the not so good and make the most of it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Potstech said:

And that matters to you why?

It doesn't.  But it is typical of what happens on boards. The fact is opinions are like Lips (not what was insinuated) everyone has two and they vary in size One day your favorite cruise line is the hero on another it is a goat as was the case with the poster.....

• Thanks 1

I'm just starting to read the boards here to prepare for my first Princess cruise in February 2020 on the Regal.  I've only been on six cruises before, mostly Royal Caribbean.  We are doing an extended family cruise and since my parents love Princess, that is what we chose.

I will say though that reading the Royal Caribbean boards in anticipation of those cruises this year I did see negativity and the same people posting over and over.  I just learned to ignore some people and take everything with a grain of salt.  Sure the pool deck is crowded, but did I find a chair - yup.  That's how I'm planning for Princess.  I'm trying to learn what I can about the medallions, how things work as I have a better cruise if I know what is included or what planning I need to do.  Don't let others get to you, set your own expectations and enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've done 8 cruises on Princess and I always research other options when planning a trip.  So far Princess has done nothing to dissuade me from cruising with them and I usually find a good enough deal with Princess that I don't see the point in trying another cruise line yet.  We're going on the Sky in mid-March and looking forward to it!  Check out the huge thread by the user dides which has tons of pictures of the Sky and lots of (mostly positive!) discussion.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:18 PM, Fincherson said:

We just booked out first Princess Cruise (Sun Princess) after having previously sailed only Carnival and NCL. I was excited to get on Cruise Critic and join in on the fun/,iscussion on a new board, only to find it’s mainly negativity, rudeness and complaining.

Thank you for this. I have not sailed Princess and came here recently to form my opinion about the demographic, rules and comments. To my surprise there was still, in 2019, a brouhaha regarding "formal night" attire, behavior, etc. IIRC, there was even a reply suggesting that if you haven't done at least 2 Princess cruises you shouldn't even be here. I left feeling as you do. What a shame. 😮

4 minutes ago, madelinerose said:

Thank you for this. I have not sailed Princess and came here recently to form my opinion about the demographic, rules and comments. To my surprise there was still, in 2019, a brouhaha regarding "formal night" attire, behavior, etc. IIRC, there was even a reply suggesting that if you haven't done at least 2 Princess cruises you shouldn't even be here. I left feeling as you do. What a shame. 😮

Perseveration is an early sign of Dementia

On 11/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, Aus Traveller said:

In my opinion, some people can be negative when they are posting anonymously. If you spoke to those same people face-to-face, they might give a different message.

Speaking only myself here, I'm the exact same way in person as I am online.  MOST of the message boards I am on I use my real name and not just my initials as I do on here, so I'm not going to say anything I wouldn't say to you (or anyone) in person.  With that said, I'm a very blunt person.  You ask me a question, I'll give you a straight and honest answer, even if it's one you don't want to hear.

So just don't ask me if those pants make you look fat....  :classic_wink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Been on eight different cruise lines and multiple ships on each line.  Remember that every line and every ship has its own personality and vibe.  And within a line,  every ship will differ from cruise to cruise based primarily on the staff currently on board--the Captain, Chef, servers and room attendants, customer service staff, entertainers, etc.

Find an itinerary you like, at a price you can spend, at the time you want to go, and maybe the size ship you think you will like; then book and enjoy.  The only opinion that matters is YOURS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed that some have defended the cruise lines for cutting back but lets keep this in perspective. 

It's not that the cruise lines are loosing money; it's totally about greed. They take away or change "things" that they really don't have to, not because they are trying to stay profitable, but to increase profit. It's never enough and it's called greed.

Carnival Corporation owns nine cruise lines including Princess. In 2018 Carnival Corporation made 3.2 billion in PROFIT!

And yes, they are just like any other large Corporation nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tk2fast said:

I noticed that some have defended the cruise lines for cutting back but lets keep this in perspective. 

It's not that the cruise lines are loosing money; it's totally about greed. They take away or change "things" that they really don't have to, not because they are trying to stay profitable, but to increase profit. It's never enough and it's called greed.

Carnival Corporation owns nine cruise lines including Princess. In 2018 Carnival Corporation made 3.2 billion in PROFIT!

But their net margins have decreased despite an increase in sales. The price of a cruise has decreased as well significantly in response to consumer demand. It's all rather amusing when you think about it. A basic cabin for a seven day cruise on  the grand is actually 25% cheaper today than it was for our first cruise on her in 1998. Seems kinda foolish to complain about cutbacks when passengers on the whole are the ones who have demanded them. It's time to realize a cruise is a cheap all inclusive vacation. Even a Red Roof Inn has better rooms..... We want the cheapest thing we can get, then get it, and inexplicably complain that its cheap. For those who want better, its available, at a cost, and then the whiners complain about nickle and diming.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tk2fast said:

You're absolutely right!  If I were you I wouldn't give these greedy corporations another dime of my hard earned money.  For that matter that also includes not giving any more money to the big drug companies either...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

But their net margins have decreased despite an increase in sales. The price of a cruise has decreased as well significantly in response to consumer demand. It's all rather amusing when you think about it. A basic cabin for a seven day cruise on  the grand is actually 25% cheaper today than it was for our first cruise on her in 1998. Seems kinda foolish to complain about cutbacks when passengers on the whole are the ones who have demanded them. It's time to realize a cruise is a cheap all inclusive vacation. Even a Red Roof Inn has better rooms..... We want the cheapest thing we can get, then get it, and inexplicably complain that its cheap. For those who want better, its available, at a cost, and then the whiners complain about nickle and diming.

Good points for sure. One can always find things to complain about, but can lead to a negative lifestyle. I like the positive side of life. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

You're absolutely right!  If I were you I wouldn't give these greedy corporations another dime of my hard earned money.  For that matter that also includes not giving any more money to the big drug companies either...

Darn it, I guess I have to cancel my Princess Sky cruise then!