Ocean Cay just been cancelled for our sailing.

nikkiw60

19 minutes ago, Boschmann said:

"Operational issues"  $100 OBC and 20% future cruise credit.  We were supposed to call on Nov 9th.

That sounds to me an incredible win....the Caribbean is awash with such islands, and I never understood the fuss across the various threads on Ocean Cay! 😉

• Like 4

Shame about Aruba nice island, on New year's Day we were at Jamaica and did an MSC tour which included Magic Mountain Bobsleigh ride afters twenty minute ski lift ride and the Dunn's River falls. Great day out.

It does make you wonder how long they have known because you cannot just book a ship into a port at short notice.

Edited by sidari

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

That is not enough compensation. 

I think that it’s a generous compensation. Yes it sucks that they’ll be missing Ocean Cay on its inaugural sailing. But MSC could’ve enforced their contract that says that ports of call are not guaranteed, and given the passengers a big fat $0. I’d be disappointed, but I’d be licking my wounds at the bar with the $100 OBC, while happily planning my next cruise with the 20% discount. 

Booking anything with the word “inaugural” in it, whether its a new ship, destination, etc, runs the risk of glitches and things not running as planned. I think that it’s something that everybody that books any of these trips should be warned about when they put their deposit down. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 11

I think it’s a very generous offer. Yes I would be disappointed, but the cruise lines are not obligated to give any compensation.  Been on many cruise lines other than MSC and did not get anything back except port fees when a change in port happens. 

• Like 2

Seasoned travelers are not terribly disappointed in this change, as we all know what inaugural means and rarely drink the cool-aid. Slightly disappointed maybe, but certainly not remotely caught off guard.Novice travelers may be more disappointed, especially if they listened to all the hype.

I am disappointed that MSC has been actively soliciting sales specifically for the purpose of visiting Ocean Cay. Just yesterday I received an incredibly cheap offer to sail Mera November 15th for the specific purpose of visiting Ocean Cay (although I suppose it may be open by then and if so, the deal was even better). The mailing was targeted at an Ocean Cay stop.

It's one thing to ghost on the topic of the grand opening (notice no photos were being released), but it's another to mislead guests. I think the compensation offered is very generous under normal circumstances as ports are missed daily (but I am interested in reading the terms and conditions of the FCC); however I also suspect that the amount of OBC/FCC might be being offered as a type of bandage to compensate for lack of communication.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

Yep sorry to hear that but I am sure it will open VERY soon.  MSC is not looking to hand out goodies like this for an extended period of time.

I'm sure the reason they are offering "goodies" is because the cruise is already in progress. My guess for future cruises - they will just change the itineraries at the last minute and offer zero. Hope I'm wrong! (They are still showing the countdown clock on the website - 3 days, 22 hours, etc.)

Edited by gimletgal

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

Yep sorry to hear that but I am sure it will open VERY soon.  MSC is not looking to hand out goodies like this for an extended period of time.

more cancellations coming.  don't get peoples hopes up 

9 minutes ago, gimletgal said:

I'm sure the reason they are offering "goodies" is because the cruise is already in progress. My guess for future cruises - they will just change the itineraries at the last minute and offer zero. Hope I'm wrong! (They are still showing the countdown clock on the website - 3 days, 22 hours, etc.)

MSC will get slammed in a very bad way if they do not offer something if they do not open OC.   

2 minutes ago, Nymich said:

MSC will get slammed in a very bad way if they do not offer something if they do not open OC.   

Well, I have my 4th MSC cruise coming up the end of this month........the first one on Seaside in 2018 had the itinerary changed when they pushed back the opening of OC. Guess I am used to delays. I hope you are right if OC is not open.

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

Stay positive my friend.  From a business standpont MSC does not want this to drag on imo.

This is not about positive or negative outlooks.  This is about being honest and direct.  There are more cancellations coming.  From a business standpoint MSC does not have to do anything about it, just like they did not in the past when the island did not complete when scheduled.  I can appreciate they are giving some token OBC to each room on the current cruise, but the fact remains there are more cancellations coming unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, sidari said:

Same happened in 2017 when we were on the first Seaside sailing out of Miami.

Same meaning stop at Ocean Cay? They were supposed to have it ready by then and it's still not ready? If that's the case, we may not make it at the end of Dec.

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

This is not about positive or negative outlooks.  This is about being honest and direct.  There are more cancellations coming.  From a business standpoint MSC does not have to do anything about it, just like they did not in the past when the island did not complete when scheduled.  I can appreciate they are giving some token OBC to each room on the current cruise, but the fact remains there are more cancellations coming unfortunately. 

yep and those cancellations will need to be compensated in some way.  Glad to see we agree!