Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lois R

Madrid for 2 days....Hotel help please

Hello ccr's:classic_biggrin:….need some help and I have tried the search feature.

I will be in Madrid next year for 2 days.  Most of the posts on here

pertain to Barcelona (been there). I will be taking a river cruise on

the Douro and post cruise I am going from Porto to Madrid....want to

see a bit of Madrid for a couple of days. Anyone have a hotel recommendation?

And any private tour guide references too.   I  travel solo and would pay extra

for a good private tour. I will search Trip Advisor but usually we cruisers can

give first hand information to those of us in need:classic_smile:

Thanks!

Without recommending anything specific I'd stay in Puerto del Sol/Gran Via area. Central, got lots of hotels in all sorts of price points. And restaurants. Easy connection anywhere including airport. Madrid as most big cities has "free" tours (Sandeman is one of them). Just pay tips. I don't see value in a guide as most places of interest (Royal Palace, Prado, Reina Sofia) can be visited on your own and may be guided tour purchased on site like in Prado. Out of town trips (Toledo, Escorial,Segovia) are easy.

Thanks for the reply. I will continue to do my research:classic_smile: but I do see a value in a guide sometimes.....I travel on my

own and when I find the right guide, it is something I enjoy...seeing things from a "local" perspective.

We were in Madrid on a 6 night city break 3 years ago.

Based on our sightseeing plans and Tripadvisor reviews we stayed in Suites Viena (an aparthotel) and would happily stay again if we ever return. Just checked on Tripadvisor and reviews are still very good.  Location, comfort, convenience and good quality/price ratio. Worth your while reading.

The rooms have a mini kitchen, so we didn't pay for breakfast but it is an option for shorter stays.  Supermarkets in close proximity for snacks, drinks etc.

We travelled from the airport by metro but it was a bit of a faff so we took a taxi back.  At that time it was a fixed rate hotel/airport of E30.

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

We were in Madrid on a 6 night city break 3 years ago.

Based on our sightseeing plans and Tripadvisor reviews we stayed in Suites Viena (an aparthotel) and would happily stay again if we ever return. Just checked on Tripadvisor and reviews are still very good.  Location, comfort, convenience and good quality/price ratio. Worth your while reading.

The rooms have a mini kitchen, so we didn't pay for breakfast but it is an option for shorter stays.  Supermarkets in close proximity for snacks, drinks etc.

We travelled from the airport by metro but it was a bit of a faff so we took a taxi back.  At that time it was a fixed rate hotel/airport of E30.

Good morning, (or afternoon to you:classic_smile:) thanks for the reply. Will take a look on Trip Advisor.