Cruise Critic Community
debnrick

Puerto Vallarta Questions

What is there to do within walking distance of the ship?  What is one thing you would recommend as a “must see”? Is it easy to get a taxi from the city back to the ship?

thank you

Near the cruise terminal there is not that much to see, apart from Walmart, Sams and the Galeria Mall. A bit out is the local Aramara market,  mostly with food etc.. Around the Marina, a short cabride away, you can walk and visit some restaurants.

However best is to take cab or bus to old town. Walk the Malecon and have a drink or meal at Playa Los Muerto.s

You will find much inforamtion and maps in this website: https://vallartainfo.com/

Plenty of cabs around, but always make your price before entering. The ride should be around 100 Pesos.

6 hours ago, trrn2016 said:

Do you need to have Pesos or will they take US money?

Some do, some donot. Change will be in Pesos and donot expect a good exchange rate. Cabs at the cruiseterminal charge in US$ but they cannot bring you back.

You can walk to the beach right next to the ship.  But there are no services there.  There is a flea market type shops in the port, a restaurant for food or drink and Public restrooms.  Right past the shops is a brick wall (part of a bldg.) head towards the beach and just walk around.  We would bring our towels, stop and buy a couple of cold ones, walk around to the beach, swim and enjoy a hour or so, then head back to the shop area and sit at the outdoor patio of the restaurant.  Eat and drink some more, shop a bit.  Then head back to the ship to shower and change.  Usually its a late port day in PV, so we would then grab a cab down to the Malecon and look around a bit.  

If available on your cruise, the Rhythms of the Night excursion offered by the cruiseship is FANTASTIC.  So worth the $$$.  Show, Dinner, Boat ride both ways just FUN FUN FUN.  And the cove is just beautiful.  This to me is a must do.  I'm even going to do it for a third time in January on our next cruise.

Edited by PekingeseLady

There are plenty of cabs in "downtown" PV, anxious to bring you back to the ship, and I have never had one refuse US$. 

Unlike Ine, who is an expert and a local, I had to pay $6 for a cab from the ship to El Malecon. Not per person, per cab-load.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:07 AM, PekingeseLady said:

You can walk to the beach right next to the ship.  But there are no services there.  There is a flea market type shops in the port, a restaurant for food or drink and Public restrooms.  Right past the shops is a brick wall (part of a bldg.) head towards the beach and just walk around.  We would bring our towels, stop and buy a couple of cold ones, walk around to the beach, swim and enjoy a hour or so, then head back to the shop area and sit at the outdoor patio of the restaurant.  Eat and drink some more, shop a bit.  Then head back to the ship to shower and change.  Usually its a late port day in PV, so we would then grab a cab down to the Malecon and look around a bit.  

If available on your cruise, the Rhythms of the Night excursion offered by the cruiseship is FANTASTIC.  So worth the $$$.  Show, Dinner, Boat ride both ways just FUN FUN FUN.  And the cove is just beautiful.  This to me is a must do.  I'm even going to do it for a third time in January on our next cruise.

Like right off the boat? How far away and what are the instructions for getting there? I will have my mother with me on this trip (she is a first time cruiser) and she has some medical problems that prevent her from walking long distances. She was planning on staying on the boat the entire cruise but if there is a beach right off the boat, I know she would love have some beach time. It would be very helpful of you could expound on this further. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

56 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Like right off the boat? How far away and what are the instructions for getting there? I will have my mother with me on this trip (she is a first time cruiser) and she has some medical problems that prevent her from walking long distances. She was planning on staying on the boat the entire cruise but if there is a beach right off the boat, I know she would love have some beach time. It would be very helpful of you could expound on this further. 

I guess it depends where your ship parks at port, which spot.  I have always been lucky and have been parked the closest to the shops and restaurant right in port in PV.  And like I said in my comment the beach access is right there on the other side, basically just across the street.  

51 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

I guess it depends where your ship parks at port, which spot.  I have always been lucky and have been parked the closest to the shops and restaurant right in port in PV.  And like I said in my comment the beach access is right there on the other side, basically just across the street.  

I google earthed the port and it's not showing any beaches directly accessible from the port location. There is a rocky outcrop to the right of where google says the port is but it looks like it leads to a dead end with a fence of some kind that blocks you from the beach area. Making it seem as though you have to walk all the way around from the front road and access it from the street called Las Garzas. Is there no wall or blockage? Can you just walk to the beach right along that rocky outcrop and access the beach area via the resort that sits to the left of Crown Paradise?    

Edited by cruisingguy007

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I google earthed the port and it's not showing any beaches directly accessible from the port location. There is a rocky outcrop to the right of where google says the port is but it looks like it leads to a dead end with a fence of some kind that blocks you from the beach area. Making it seem as though you have to walk all the way around from the front road and access it from the street called Las Garzas. Is there no wall or blockage? Can you just walk to the beach right along that rocky outcrop and access the beach area via the resort that sits to the left of Crown Paradise?    

Yes,  exactly! You can walk right around the wall. They won't let you access the hotels though. But Like I said we enjoyed time on our towels for an hour, went for a dip then headed back to the restaurant in the little plaza for some guacamole and chips and a cold beer. 

29 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

Yes,  exactly! You can walk right around the wall. They won't let you access the hotels though. But Like I said we enjoyed time on our towels for an hour, went for a dip then headed back to the restaurant in the little plaza for some guacamole and chips and a cold beer. 

Thank you for the responses. Very helpful. May just grab some food/drinks from one of the resorts so we can use their chairs/loungers. The shorter walk may motivate my mother to get off the boat. 

Edited by cruisingguy007