Cruise Critic Community
Shellbelle28

Question about Electronic Travel Authorizations for Aus and NZ

My husband and I are cruising Australia and New Zealand in January on Norwegian. I received a message from NCL about visa requirements that says something that confuses me. Hopefully there are more experienced international travelers who can clarify! The message says "Once you receive the visas via email, please print them or have them saved and available on your phone to present at check in on embarkation day."  

What confuses me is that these are electronic visas and there is no paper visa "received via email" to print or save on my phone, just a reference number. For Australia, I at least got a confirmation email, but for New Zealand I have to go to the NZETA website, enter in my details and view the confirmation there. 

Is it just NCL using generic language, or am I missing something important? I've got the reference numbers for both countries and printouts showing the ETAs, but no emailed visas to print out and show!

How is that going to work?

Edited by Shellbelle28

You will receive an email confirming approval of your visa.  I printed that confirmation and have it ready to go in my travel portfolio.

That's my best guess as to what Norwegian is suggesting.

Screenshoot the NZ eTA. Or print the screenshot

The reference number is all you need.  If they need to look it up that will give them what is required.

I would print it out.

Keith

The Aus eTA I received for myself was a little bit different from the one I received for my husband,  purchased a day later.  However, they have different reference numbers, and both have a line which states we have eTAs, "No work - business visitor activity only" and that we paid AUD $20 for each, so I'm assuming they're fine.  I printed them out to show the cruise line (Oceania).   I'm assuming that Oceania cannot see it "attached" to our passport, although apparently airlines and Australian immigration authorities apparently can.  

The NZ ones show a little more information, and have reference numbers as well as our passport numbers.  I printed a copy to show Oceania.  I suppose I could have also photographed them on my phone, but I like the security of having a hard copy.