Malecon in Puerto Vallarta

debnrick

1 hour ago, debnrick said:

What is the easiest way to get to and from the Malecon from the ship? Walking distance? Have heard lots to do there. 

Easiest would be a taxi from the cruise port.  Slightly more complex would be to walk a short distance out of the port and catch a regular taxi there.  Do set the fare in advance, will be less than cabs in port.  Cheaper yet would be a bus into town.  It is not walkable 

Also get the total price.  Last April, we were given a price that was what we were used to (we've been to PV at least once a years for over 25 years on both cruise and land vacations) and as we were getting out of the cab, we were told the price was per person.  A new scam that we hadn't encountered before.

Cheers.  We are going in Jan on same cruise.  You will love it.

The white taxis inside the port area charge per person.

If you walk outside the port to near the gas station on the corner and get a yellow taxi there the price will be for the whole group.

Always discuss price before getting into the car.

• Like 1

We were just there...we took the taxi van from the port and were charged $4pp.  When we were ready to return to the ship, plenty of taxis lined up at all the cross streets that meet the Malecon.  We paid $10 total for the ride, being let off inside the port and right near the terminal building.

msmayor's charges sound right to me.  I should have been more clear in my previous post.

1.  We have been traveling to PV at least once a year since the early 80's on both land and sea vacations.   

2.  We always ask prices before we get into a cab in Mexico.

3.  We did ask and were given an expected price based on our experience.

4.  As we were getting out of the cab, we were told the agreed upon price was per person.  That was a new twist for us and rather than make an issue, I paid him the extra $5 or 6 and filed it away for the future .

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

It can be, depending on the person/people doing the walking.. 😉

For most people walking 3+ miles is not what they would consider when plotting out a walk to town from a cruise.  Can it be done, sure.  Have I walked that far, absolutely. Would I do it for a stop in PV, nada.  We try to keep answers here a wee bit practical for the general cruising population taking into account their time in town, their usual interests and their general level of fitness, but then some might want to just do it so I stand corrected.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 12:11 AM, wheezedr said:

For most people walking 3+ miles is not what they would consider when plotting out a walk to town from a cruise.  Can it be done, sure.  Have I walked that far, absolutely. Would I do it for a stop in PV, nada.  We try to keep answers here a wee bit practical for the general cruising population taking into account their time in town, their usual interests and their general level of fitness, but then some might want to just do it so I stand corrected.

You would be surprised.  I live in PV during the winter months and often (at least 5 days a week) walk round trip from town out past the Marina (port).  I have often run into cruisers walking into town (during my return walk).  A fast walker can make it from the port into town in about 45 minutes and some cruisers do enjoy long walks and exercise.  And this particular walk is flat...which suits many folks.

But for most cruisers we do recommend taking a taxi.  Until recently we also recommended using the local buses, but the bus routes have recently  being changed (and are still changing) which might find bus riders unhappy if they are dropped somewhere outside of town.  

Hank