Cruise Critic Community
AlanF65

Bed Firmness Maasdam

I have sailed on RCI twice and Carnival once and the beds are like rocks so I bring a klymit air mattress.

I booked a Vista suite and it says the beds have plush euro tops.

If the bed is too hard will they bring an egg crate to soften it?

If you have sailed Royal and Hal how to the beds compare? I would rather not bring the mattress if I don't need it.

Thanks

Alan

We were on her for 42 days early this year and found the bed very comfortable. I too hate a hard bed. It was a pillow-top and we did not need to request a egg topper, which they did tell me they had if I needed. 

Beds on HAL are super comfortable, best sleep I've ever had is aboard these dam ships.  I sleep through the night without a problem whereas at home I wake up several times each night.  Maybe I need a HAL mattress.  LOL.  And, no, I don't think the ship rocking has anything to do with it because on some of the ships the sea has been absolutely calm with so little movement I'd never know it was a ship.

We've never had an uncomfortable bed in 11 HAL cruises.  I too hate hard beds.  Going on the Maasdam in 8 days for the first time and know the bed will be just as comfortable as on previous cruises.

WOW, I must have had the one bed on a HAL ship that was HORRIBLE!!!  

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam on this past Saturday and we had the worst queen size bed of any cruise we have ever taken.  After the first night of sleep on that thing, we contacted our stateroom attendant and asked for a foam topper or even an egg crate foam piece.  He said they did not have any!!!  We were absolutely shocked.  He said he could only put an extra duvet underneath the bottom sheet to try and "soften" up the bed.  Which he did do, but it did absolutely nothing to make it any better.  I think his supervisor (he had a black vest on) came into our cabin and told us that he would get us a mattress topper.  But later that day we asked our cabin steward again about it and he said no.  There was NOTHING they could put on the mattress.....

So, 7 nights of back pain.  Not a happy camper.  You may want to bring something with you just in case your situation is what happened to us.  It made for a lot of restless nights.  Not happy.

In October we returned from 34 days on the Maasdam. I dislike hard beds but found the beds on the Maasdam very soft and comfortable. In fact on our return I got rid of our bed and purchased a new softer one.

1 hour ago, margar said:

WOW, I must have had the one bed on a HAL ship that was HORRIBLE!!!  

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam on this past Saturday and we had the worst queen size bed of any cruise we have ever taken.  After the first night of sleep on that thing, we contacted our stateroom attendant and asked for a foam topper or even an egg crate foam piece.  He said they did not have any!!!  We were absolutely shocked.  He said he could only put an extra duvet underneath the bottom sheet to try and "soften" up the bed.  Which he did do, but it did absolutely nothing to make it any better.  I think his supervisor (he had a black vest on) came into our cabin and told us that he would get us a mattress topper.  But later that day we asked our cabin steward again about it and he said no.  There was NOTHING they could put on the mattress.....

So, 7 nights of back pain.  Not a happy camper.  You may want to bring something with you just in case your situation is what happened to us.  It made for a lot of restless nights.  Not happy.

The open foam toppers are a health issue, not way to clean them on board so I know other lines have done away with them.

I will see if I get any more bad reports. I carry the Klymit double but is 3 lbs plug the rooom so space and weight, well

Edited by AlanF65

On our last cruises on the Eurodam (14 days) and Westerdam (21 days) we had the worst mattresses ever!!  They were new and hard -- it is the new deal -- all-in-one deal -- mattress and box springs built together.  No pillow top.  In the Pinnacle Suite, the wooden frame that the mattress fits into is low to the floor and it was like sleeping on the floor.

Spent 84 days on the Maasdam earlier this year.... bed was extremely hard. Luckily my cabin steward found an egg crate topper and all was well! Guess it’s the luck of the draw. 

This must vary person to person and mattress to mattress.  I am on the Maasdam now and find the bed way too soft.   I have back trouble which is aggravated by a soft bed and I realize that might influence my opinion.

7 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

This must vary person to person and mattress to mattress.  I am on the Maasdam now and find the bed way too soft.   I have back trouble which is aggravated by a soft bed and I realize that might influence my opinion.

Sounds like I will bring my air mattress and if I don't need it I can decide for next time, on Royal a large percentage of the people seem to not like the mattresses.

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Sounds like I will bring my air mattress and if I don't need it I can decide for next time, on Royal a large percentage of the people seem to not like the mattresses.

HAL beds are considered very good overall.  I am quite fussy on my mattress and sleep well (as does DH) on our cruises.

Nothing wrong with being prepared but I suspect, you won’t need your air mattress 😉 

Mattresses on HAL are far superior to Royal and a number of other ships IMO 😉 

On 11/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, AlanF65 said:

We were on Royal last year on the Anthem. Sounds crazy but I couldn’t wait for the cruise to end because the beds were SO HARD I couldn’t sleep!  I took the extra  comforter and doubled it and it did not make a difference. No egg crates on board. Will never cruise Royal again until they change the beds.  I’ve read on here that Radience has awful beds as well and we were thinking of doing the Hawaii cruise on it but not after having experienced Anthem for ten nights.  Went with Celebrity instead, they have wonderful beds!  And by the way so does  the Disney Magic.  What idiot decided these beds are worth buying?  Like sleeping on concrete!

we will be on the Nieuw  Statendam   next April for the TA and 7 nite fiord cruise. Hope the beds will be comfortable.  Any info about that ships mattress?

Edited by Holly g