Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
cruise209

Hong Kong Disneyland

We will be on the Diamond Jan 2020, Southeast Asia & Japan, and with two days in Hong Kong would like to know if anyone has transportation info for going to Hong Kong Disneyland from cruise terminal.  Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

We took the metro - very easy, with clear directions.  There's a dedicated train that goes to Disneyland from a specific stop.

Okay I have to know. What is different about the Hong Kong Disneyland that makes it different from any other Disneyland tha would lead one to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be there? . Its a serious question as we will be Hong Kong in 2021. Its just not something that has even occured to me in our planning. What am I missing?

8 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Okay I have to know. What is different about the Hong Kong Disneyland that makes it different from any other Disneyland tha would lead one to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be there? . Its a serious question as we will be Hong Kong in 2021. Its just not something that has even occured to me in our planning. What am I missing?

There are Disney Fans that just have to go to every one. Have a niece and nephew who fall in this classification. In his case, he now works for them and led efforts on the Shanghai Disney, but they had the bug long before the job. While in Shanghai, they took a quick vacation over to Tokyo for that Disney.

On our Pac Rim Cruise last Fall, there were a few cruisers whose big event for the cruise was Disney Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Edited by TheRabbit

Just now, TNTLAMB said:

You obviously are not a collector.   Every Disneyland has different merchandise, collectables, pins.   Some are used for trading others for selling.    The rides are even changed a bit from park to park.   As mentioned if you are a Disney Nut then you have to go see all the parks.  

The best way is the MRT system, but you need to know which of the two cruise terminals you will be using. Princess uses both of them. The MRT does not have a stop at the terminal but the stops are fairly close to both terminals.

11 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Well, each park is a bit different and has different things going on. The crowds are a different demographic so the experience is subtly different. There are different food options, different merchandise options and each park has a different layout and different rides.  We've been to Disneyland in Anaheim and Disney World in Orlando, and will be happy to tick both Hong Kong and Tokyo Disneyland off our list on this cruise (we are also sailing on this cruise, I assume the Jan 6 departure from Singapore on Diamond princess).

It's like saying - why do people sail on different ships, or why do you visit different cities in the same country.... and the reason is the same. Because they all offer different experiences 🙂

15 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Okay I have to know. What is different about the Hong Kong Disneyland that makes it different from any other Disneyland tha would lead one to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be there? . Its a serious question as we will be Hong Kong in 2021. Its just not something that has even occurred to me in our planning. What am I missing?

Hearing the shows and any announcements in Chinese.

We went a few year ago and used the train.  If you are a senior then the entry price is peanuts compared to other Disney parks in the world (around $10 Aust I think from memory)  The highlight was the Lion King show - if it is still on do not miss it, worth going there just to see that production, amazing

18 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

Different?  It's smaller and has a history of struggles making money.  It's only 47% owned by Disney and maybe an afterthought after they built the one in Shanghai.  We spent a day on Kowloon, another on Hong Kong Island.  Our choice for a third day was Macau or Lantau Island (Big Buddha) and we went to Macau.  If we ever go back, we'll visit Lantau Island, but not waste time at Disneyland.  Some people just love Disney or have children with them and that's why they go.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:55 AM, hubofhockey said:

Different?  It's smaller and has a history of struggles making money.  It's only 47% owned by Disney and maybe an afterthought after they built the one in Shanghai.  We spent a day on Kowloon, another on Hong Kong Island.  Our choice for a third day was Macau or Lantau Island (Big Buddha) and we went to Macau.  If we ever go back, we'll visit Lantau Island, but not waste time at Disneyland.  Some people just love Disney or have children with them and that's why they go.

Hong Kong was built about 11 years before Shanghai and after Tokyo.    The Chinese market is different from the Japanese, but what they learned from HK they applied to Shanghai.  What they didn't realize until the pre-opening was the mainlanders are different from Hong Kongers-Overseas Chinese :classic_wacko:

Edited by Philob

If using the MTR to get to HK Disneyland you need to be on theTung Chung line (orange line).  Get off at Sunny Bay, walk across the platform and the special Disneyland train will arrive shortly to take you one stop to the Disneyland station.

Here's a couple of pics of the train ...

017.thumb.JPG.112a4e92ce14b5e6afcdcc5c68ccf4c9.JPG

082.thumb.JPG.f22d4034746cd0512ffa241cd7e2566c.JPG

On 11/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, TNTLAMB said:

I am one of those crazy Disney people who have a goal of seeing all of the castles.  I have one left. Shanghai.  Each park while similar has a few different rides or versions of that ride that make it unique.  Throw in the cultural differences and food differences, it makes it a fun experience.  HKDL is the smallest of the parks.  They are currently in an expansion mode.  I think the improvements will make it a better park than what it was when we visited in 2018.  On a positive note it is small and not near as crowded as the other parks.