Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
7960Ken

Room location question

Recommended Posts

We just reserved a room for the British Isles Explorer in 2021 on Viking Venus. It will be our first Viking Ocean cruise. Our TA has put us in a DV6 on deck 3., but I think it is very easy to change at this point.

 

There is only 1 sea day on our itinerary, so I believe the upgrade cost to a PV (for extra square footage) is not justified. What I am wondering is if the additional cost to move to a DV1,2,3,4,or 5 on deck 4 and 5 might be worth it. Having never sailed on these ships, I am having a hard time imaging what the flow of the ship is and how the view from our balcony is affected by being on this deck.

 

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DV 6 cabins on Deck 3 all have public spaces below, with some of them possibly above the nightclub & cinema. Potential for noise.

 

We booked a DV 4 on Deck 4, which even on the World Cruise was a small uplift over DV 6. In our opinion, worth the cost to ensure we have other cabins above, below and both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Deck 3 on our first VO cruise in a cabin near the theatre. We could occasionally hear rehearsals but it wasn’t bothersome and didn’t interrupt our naps!  We also could hear the birds chirping when someone uses the public restroom below our stateroom.  

 

We lived the location as it was an easy one flight to The Restaurant and two down to The Living Room. Additionally, we live the sound of the water to sleep to, so being close to sea level was great!

 

I agree with you that the PV upgrade for a cruise like yours probably isn’t worth the additional cost...and maybe you’ll get lucky and offered it just before sailing at a much reduced rate. That just happened to us and we enjoyed the extra space-particularly when it only cost us $14 per person per day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Heidi13 about the noise potential.  Probably the best location on Deck 3 is near the lifts say 3033-3039 and 3032-3038.  You still have a few cabins fore and aft as buffers against the nightclub and Theatre.  The elevator area is quiet too.  Next most economical choice is anywhere on Deck 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After doing 2 cruises in DV1 and DV2, we splurged and upgraded to a PV and loved the extra space and especially the different location of the closet (across from bathroom instead of alongside the bed).  We now only book the PV.  We like deck 5 because the view seems a bit better being higher up, and it's very quiet.  But it's totally a personal decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The DV 6 cabins on Deck 3 all have public spaces below, with some of them possibly above the nightclub & cinema. Potential for noise.

 

We booked a DV 4 on Deck 4, which even on the World Cruise was a small uplift over DV 6. In our opinion, worth the cost to ensure we have other cabins above, below and both sides.

Andy, we are in agreement about deck 4.  One difference from our deck 4 last year is we are 4 cabins aft and right over the bow of boat 2.  We have had some noise issues we never had before.  If the boats are not fully snugged in their davits there can be some metal on metal tapping from the chocks along with workers going into a steel locker rooting around for tools, etc.  Staff has handled it promptly but every time crew changes over we seem to have to re educate deck crew on the importance of snugging the locking straps tight.  I believe you are 4 cabins aft of where we are now and that would place you over boat 4.  (boats 1, 3, 5 are on starboard side, 2, 4, 6 are on port).  So if you hear these things you can call or just do what I have done a few times, give the strap ratchet a few pulls.  😎  Ok, don't do that.  Andy and I are professionals.  Don't try this at home......🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy, we are in agreement about deck 4.  One difference from our deck 4 last year is we are 4 cabins aft and right over the bow of boat 2.  We have had some noise issues we never had before.  If the boats are not fully snugged in their davits there can be some metal on metal tapping from the chocks along with workers going into a steel locker rooting around for tools, etc.  Staff has handled it promptly but every time crew changes over we seem to have to re educate deck crew on the importance of snugging the locking straps tight.  I believe you are 4 cabins aft of where we are now and that would place you over boat 4.  (boats 1, 3, 5 are on starboard side, 2, 4, 6 are on port).  So if you hear these things you can call or just do what I have done a few times, give the strap ratchet a few pulls.  😎  Ok, don't do that.  Andy and I are professionals.  Don't try this at home......🍺

Jim - Hope you received additional OBC for securing the boats. Affirmative, we will be in 4058, which if memory if correct is 4 aft of you.

 

Without subscribing to Sat service, AIS still shows you clearing the Amazon, assuming you are already in Blue Water and have already crossed the Line, so how did the ceremony go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Jim - Hope you received additional OBC for securing the boats. Affirmative, we will be in 4058, which if memory if correct is 4 aft of you.

 

Without subscribing to Sat service, AIS still shows you clearing the Amazon, assuming you are already in Blue Water and have already crossed the Line, so how did the ceremony go.

Ceremony is 3:30 pm today.  About 15 minutes.  Crossing the line for the third time.  Captain didn't want to do it in the Amazon.  We are in 4054 so 2 aft.  over good old boat 2.  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Ceremony is 3:30 pm today.  About 15 minutes.  Crossing the line for the third time.  Captain didn't want to do it in the Amazon.  We are in 4054 so 2 aft.  over good old boat 2.  😎

Would 4051 also be over the life boats or just forward?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first cruise we were in cabin 3072. It is over the dining room. We never heard a sound. Anything along that corridor, port or starboard, is over the dining room. The only cabin I would stay away from are the two closest to the tenders (3058 and 3059).  The only people traversing these sections of corridors are those who have cabins here. There is no overflow noise from the staircase and elevators.

 

image.png.0f8010fc4a49f81a1588d3a8b9b2160c.png

 

If you move forward of the atrium (not shown on the map), you run into noise from the disco and then as you move forward of the fore elevators, you start to get noise from the theaters.

 

Since then, we have switched to cabins on Deck 4, but for no logical reason. Our next few sailings we are in cabins along the same corridor as Jim and Heidi13, between the elevators and right over the tenders.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, you made me dive into our reservation documents and haul out the deck plans! So, after re-reading everything above I am reassured the some of the assumptions and criteria I applied in choosing PV4018 are borne out: relatively isolated from sources of noise above and below and on the same deck. I had originally targeted a V$1 on deck 8, but with some help from my CC friends in the forum chose a PV3 and saved a TON of cash ($5,400) on our B2B Iberian Explorer/In Search of the Northern Lights cruises 26 Jan-14 Feb 2021. Friends of ours are on the other side of the ship, so we are pretty well set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I understanding a PV3 was 5400 LESS than a DV1?  Good to remember...we usually just opt lowest v category.  Only bad room was a DV over Torshaven and that is terrible...that cabin also had lifeboat noise, rattling and early morning cleaning!!! We were so happy when they were able to move us 6 weeks into the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, deec said:

Am I understanding a PV3 was 5400 LESS than a DV1?  Good to remember...we usually just opt lowest v category.  Only bad room was a DV over Torshaven and that is terrible...that cabin also had lifeboat noise, rattling and early morning cleaning!!! We were so happy when they were able to move us 6 weeks into the cruise.

Sorry I was not clear. No, the PV3 was $5,400 less than a PS1 (I wrote D$1 to be "cute" and ruined it with a typo). And just to further clarify, that is the amount we save for the two of us - not per person. We'll be on board for 19 days and I don't think we could do that in a DV. And thanks for bringing my error to my attention.

Edited by What was that?
Add thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I agree with Heidi13 about the noise potential.  Probably the best location on Deck 3 is near the lifts say 3033-3039 and 3032-3038.  You still have a few cabins fore and aft as buffers against the nightclub and Theatre.  The elevator area is quiet too.  Next most economical choice is anywhere on Deck 4.

 

Agree with you all - that there can indeed be some noise issues on Deck 3.  We have only been DV2 on Deck 5 and 6 - which were great!  I would pick 5 over 6 though if you are underneath the pool deck or dining terrace.  Noise from chairs above scraping in early morning hours.   We did talk with people who had DV on Deck 4 that were near/next to the lifeboats, and they said the noise was often not so good there.  So perhaps Deck 4 if you keep away from the lifeboats and Deck 5 otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Islandbc said:

Would 4051 also be over the life boats or just forward?

Just forward of boat no.1.  Should be a quiet one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be in 3014 on Sky (V1).  Hopefully like Clay the theatre noise won't bother us.  I think we might be too far forward to hear birds? from the restroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the birds!!!

We spent 120 days in a DV room and it took some adjusting but we did fine.  Magnetic hooks for jackets and stored little used items in suitcase under bed and pulled out like a drawer.  The additional drawers in the closet from new ships, SUN and after  were very necessary.  Hopefully the first ships will be retro-fitted at some point.  Of course the free laundry service made a huge difference too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first VO Cruise we booked cabin 3069, our second, 3070...neither were noisy, we loved being close to the water at sunset and motion was minor.  Trip 3 will also be on 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We chose 3045 for our 2021 cruise, thinking that it would be above the shops and therefore very quiet.  Has anyone had noise issues with this cabin or ones in the immediate area?  Didn't want to book a guarantee and take a chance of being in 3057 or 3055.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our last 2 trips, we have been on 4110 and 5049 (DV5 and 2).  Both turned out to be excellent, quiet locations.  The advantage of 5049 was that we were midway between the 2 elevators, so chose the elevator in the direction we were going.  
Both rooms were probably the same distance from the laundry room.

 

We are in room 4105 (also DV5) next month on our South American cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please let us know how the SA cruise was....on our list!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We will be in 3014 on Sky (V1).  Hopefully like Clay the theatre noise won't bother us.  I think we might be too far forward to hear birds? from the restroom.

I think we were in 3008 (maybe 3010?) so I think you might miss our on both the theatre and the birds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deec said:

Love the birds!!!

 

Don't want anyone to think they were an issue...we could only hear them in the bathroom and then just barely.  

 

We noted on our most most recent trip that they seem to alternate birds chirping with ocean waves crashing.  I don’t find the waves as successful as at first I thought I was just hearing the commode flush over and over again. 😱 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in 3038 which we found was perfect.  I was a bit anxious about being close to the lifts, but they are completely silent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have done many cruises and have never had less hallway noise than on the Sun.  Do people tiptoe?  Whisper?  Act politely like grownups?  Whatever, we were super happy and have found our nirvana.  We were in 4049 in Jan. and will be close by in just 57 more days.  We will be near the aft elevators but others say no worries about that location, ditto for near the laundry where our good friends will be located.  And the excitement builds.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...