Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Longwood50

Phuket Deep Water Port - Shore Excursions Advice

I am taking the Norwegian Jade and they are docking at the Deep Water port in Phuket from December 11 to December 12.  The ship is only offering a handful of shore excursions and as you might imagine they are excessively priced.  I have checked Trip Advisor, Viator, Get my guide etc for shore excursions.  It appears that the majority of tours only are offered with pickup/drop off a considerable distance from the Deep Water port.  

Has anyone docked in Phuket and is the Deep Water port a tender or is there a gangway.  Also if you have any suggestions on where to find shore excursions.  We would like to do either Phi Phi or James Bond island but it appears as though the departure for those is a considerable distance from the port.  I have to believe that there are tour operators that do service the port but they are not the larger ones that advertise via Viator or Trip Advisor. 

When I cruised to Phuket a few years ago, we tendered to Patong Beach, didn't dock at Deep Water Port. However I did take an excursion to James Bond Island.  It is a very considerable distance, and we had issues due to rain once we reached the National Park and some of the small boats had engine trouble. Then we hit a significant amount of traffic returning to Phuket. We were quite late returning to the port and I was very glad I had booked through the ship as it is likely we would have been left behind.

I am not someone who always books excursion through the cruise line; I handle my own arrangements most of the time, but this one (and Port Klang for Kuala Lumpur) would be one I would recommend to pay the extra money to go through the ship and be sure you won't miss the boat.

Howdy @Longwood50 emo22.gif 

Thank you for your thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! 👍

However, since your inquiry is regarding a specific port, I have moved your thread to the Ports of Call - Asia forum where it will be on topic. Now that you are here on this forum, please browse through the other threads looking for those related to Deep Water port in Phuket. You'll find your fellow Cruise Critic members may have already posted questions and received answers that will be helpful.

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad you are here! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Categories list. Read a few threads in various forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you want to start a new thread on any forum after browsing the forum, make sure you are on the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This will help the members that know the information and they will reply to you. It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, ship, port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members to be able to answer.

To find fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you on your cruise, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call . Please note share requests may only be posted in the Roll Call thread for your cruise and no other forum.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to go to our Member Cruise Reviews section and submit your review for publication!

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif