Grandeur of the Seas in Winter, some Questions

LB_NJ

11 hours ago, SRF said:

Technically $15 per night.  So an 8 night cruise is $120 for parking.

FYI - Baltimore port parking categorizes as "Bills & Utilities", not "Travel" with Chase Sapphire Preferred / Reserve.  😞

However, Cape Liberty port parking does categorize as "Travel".

• Thanks 1

Only a suggestion, BUT from a previous terrible and frightening experience on the Anthem out of Bayonne in late January travelling in the North Atlantic about five years ago, I for one wouldn't recommend it. The North Atlantic shows no mercy to any size cruise ships in the Winter months.  And on the return to Bayonne the voyage turned into an "extra sea day" due to weather conditions. We needed to dig our vehicle out from the motel we left it at from NJ getting hit with a "super storm". Sure, there's the parking garage at the Terminal to use but how could we pass up the free parking at the motel and free transportation to the pier. Just this poster's opinion, go easy now. I know there are a lot of posters that this wouldn't bother them, as just being on an adventure with waves hitting deck 11.

We have done winter cruises on Grandeur a number of times.  We wear our winter jackets to board, stand out on deck to watch the ship go under the bridges.  Muster drill is indoors if the weather is cold/wet.  Jackets get compressed and stowed under the bed once the weather is warmer.

Personally, we enjoy rough seas, and have almost always booked cabins all the way forward or back.  I don't recall Dec./Jan. being any stormier than the other months.

If you park at the port and it snows while you are sailing, you will find upon return that the parking lot has been cleared very nicely.

I say go for it.

We have sailed the Enchantment, Grandeur, Pride and Celebrity's Mercury from Baltimore. [many times]  We have stopped cruising from Baltimore in the winter.  We have had high seas at least one day on all but one of our winter cruises.   It was almost always off the coast of North Carolina.  So, it was a bad way to either begin or end the cruise.  JMHO

22 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

FYI - Baltimore port parking categorizes as "Bills & Utilities", not "Travel" with Chase Sapphire Preferred / Reserve.  😞

However, Cape Liberty port parking does categorize as "Travel".

Thanks for this tidbit!  I always gamble with my travel rewards card when dealing with anything related with airports and the cruiseports, just in case it does register as travel!

On 11/8/2019 at 1:50 PM, Merion_Mom said:

As others have said, the weather can go either way, but I would strongly warn against taking a guarantee these days.

I once had 4514. The waves weren't even "that" high.  It was a very unhappy experience.  I cruise often, am a very good sailor, and never suffer from mal de mer.  But that cabin was NOT good.  And there are quite a few cabins FARTHER forward.

You could indeed get a cabin very far forward, so be warned.

I’ve never noticed forward cabins being any  rougher than aft on any of the ships I’ve been on.

Dan