Cruise Critic Community
PGI GUY

Gluten Free

I have not had an issue at all. 

I informed that staff on my arrival.  I did let them know when I booked and confirmed about 3 months before boarding.although  the may be a disconnect between the main office and the ship. So I emailed both 3 month before.  Reminding them again 1 week before.

Found on board was wonderful..I filled out a menu for the next day's meals.  Including Mamsen and chef's table and Manfredi's.  Everything was made gf for me. 

Viking even has gf scones for tea time, Mamsen waffles and Manfredi's choices! I even had a gf birthday cake! 

I am not gluten free, but our first night on the last cruise, we sat next to a couple where the wife was allergic to a lot of different foods (her list was very long and involved).  The chef came out and discussed at length as to how he could deal with her issues, but he was extremely proactive about it.   Both DH and I were impressed as to how concerned he was that she ate what she could and was happy as to what was available for her. 

The one thing the chef did suggest was to try to use the same restaurant.   We never saw them again at World Cafe, so I am guessing that they chose to eat most of their meals in The Restaurant.

Viking does very well with gluten-free and are getting better as implement more and more of the suggestions that have been made to them.

One thing that they do request is that you contact them in advance of sailing.

From the FAQ:

Can you accommodate my dietary requirements?

In most cases, we can. Every meal has vegetarian options and our chefs will make reasonable efforts to accommodate special requests. Guests requiring special meals (low salt, diabetic, gluten-free or low cholesterol) should alert us 90 days prior to departure and inform the Maître d’ when on board.

5 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

The one thing the chef did suggest was to try to use the same restaurant.   We never saw them again at World Cafe, so I am guessing that they chose to eat most of their meals in The Restaurant.

For someone with so many allergies, that is a good suggestion --and for so many reasons.

Viking has been very accommodating, offering menus the day before so that, where possible, daily special dishes can be requested and modified to gluten free. Additionally, attentive servers will frequently offer or present unexpected (and delectable) special gluten free items

Thank you to all who have replied to my question. Last month I was on the Pacific Princess and they handled the gluten free situation much like was described by those who have sailed on Viking. This is our third Viking cruise and my first since having to be gluten free.