Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
zdcatc12

Laundry on a River Cruise?

Recommended Posts

This will be my first in December and I was wondering if they put those those bags in the cabin that you fill up with clothes that they launder for a set price? It is normal on a big ship cruise line, but is it common on river cruises? We are on Gate 1 and it is hard to find out much info on them. This will be a Christmas Markets cruise in December, so if I can get by with only half as many clothes because I know I can get them washed, it will sure be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2 different river cruises I have been on have had laundry for a price per piece, not per bag.

 

I have not done Gate 1.

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't been on Gate 1 but I can add for others interested in the general topic that Uniworld has free washers and dryers (and they provide the laundry detergent) on their ships.  Plus, IIRC, returning passengers can send out a bag of laundry for free.

Edited by capriccio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

This will be my first in December and I was wondering if they put those those bags in the cabin that you fill up with clothes that they launder for a set price? It is normal on a big ship cruise line, but is it common on river cruises? We are on Gate 1 and it is hard to find out much info on them.

Our Gate 1 river cruise offered laundry service. The fee was per item, not per bag at a set price (although a bag was provided in which to place your items). If I correctly recall, the cleaning fee for a pair of pants was 6 euros, blouse was 4 euros.

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, capriccio said:

Haven't been on Gate 1 but I can add for others interested in the general topic that Uniworld has free washers and dryers (and they provide the laundry detergent) on their ships.  Plus, IIRC, returning passengers can send out a bag of laundry for free.

Also, if you’re in a suite you get unlimited free laundry done for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viking laundry is per item.  OBC can be used to pay for it, or it can be just added to your tab.

 

An internet search should locate the price list--we had a mens shirt and 2 pairs of my wife's pants washed for about 15 euro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Coral said:

The 2 different river cruises I have been on have had laundry for a price per piece, not per bag.

 

I have not done Gate 1.

I should say Crystal (Mozart) also had laundry machines for people to use, I never used them. Don't know about their other ships. I just sent my laundry off to be done and used OBC to pay for it.

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@zdcatc12 Since you are on Gate 1, and there aren't too many people here who have sailed with them, I suggest that you contact them directly.

 

That said, I have sailed on 3 different river cruise lines (Uniworld, AMA and Avalon) and on none of them did they have a full bag of laundry for a set price, although on my second Uniworld cruise I did get a free bag of laundry..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our first Uniworld cruise (not in a suite), I did like the fact that we had free use of the laundry facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bubbulz said:

On our first Uniworld cruise (not in a suite), I did like the fact that we had free use of the laundry facilities.

There were no self serve laundries on my Uniworld ships, maybe because they were not Super Ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

There were no self serve laundries on my Uniworld ships, maybe because they were not Super Ships. 

Could be. I’ve only been on the Super Ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

There were no self serve laundries on my Uniworld ships, maybe because they were not Super Ships. 

Our first two Uniworld ships weren't Super Ships (Empress and the Princess) and thank goodness they had laundries.  We were on a 15 day Budapest to Amsterdam cruise in August 2015 (with a ship swap) when the temperatures were in the high 90s for the first 11 days!  I don't remember if the Baroness had one but I don't think she is in the fleet any longer.

 

Added:  I just checked the deck plans for the Empress and the Princess; the laundry is still located on the Moselle (lowest) deck.

Edited by capriccio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

There were no self serve laundries on my Uniworld ships, maybe because they were not Super Ships. 

 

All 3 of the Uniworld ships I've sailed on weren't Super Ships, and they all had laundries on the bottom deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roz said:

 

All 3 of the Uniworld ships I've sailed on weren't Super Ships, and they all had laundries on the bottom deck.

Maybe I never knew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Maybe I never knew. 

 

That's very possible.  If your cabin wasn't on the lower level, and if you didn't go to the spa or fitness center, you wouldn't know there was a laundry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. I'll see if I can contact someone there. Those individual laundry prices seem steep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that Viking does have a clothesline in the shower, and DW was able to wash quick-drying synthetics some socks and they dried in a day or so.  The things we had laundered were cotton items that would take forever to dry in the shower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I should add that Viking does have a clothesline in the shower, and DW was able to wash quick-drying synthetics some socks and they dried in a day or so.  

We had the same type of clothesline in the shower on our Gate 1 Danube cruise. 

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get travel size packets of Tide and Frebreze spray fabric refresher (I bought at Walmart). We hand wash our under garments. The Frebreze works well to freshen up clothes that are not soiled. 

 

There are shirts in travel catalogs that handwash and dry beautifully. Those are worth the investment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wis Viking could find a spot for laundry machines.  We spent well over 100$$ for laundry on a two week cruise plus some pre/post days but it was far more convenient than finding a laundromat while on the pre post times and the hotel laundry in Paris was more than the ship.  We have some quick dry shirts for hot climates.  Bought ex officious men’s underwear that really do dry overnight.  Need to find quick drying socks.   But what helps the most.....saving old underwear and tossing as we go!😀

Edited by deec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 5:01 PM, gnome12 said:

Maybe I never knew. 

The current U ships (formerly the Ambassador and Baroness) did not have laundry facilities. I think those were the only two who didn't.

Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, acwmom said:

The current U ships (formerly the Ambassador and Baroness) did not have laundry facilities. I think those were the only two who didn't.

Robin

I was on the River Queen and the River Countess in 2010 and 2011 respectively, and I don't remember laundry available. I may not have known, but that is something I would have thought that I looked for. I wonder if they retrofit them into a space that was used for something else before? Anyway, both ships have guest laundry now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I was on the River Queen and the River Countess in 2010 and 2011 respectively, and I don't remember laundry available. I may not have known, but that is something I would have thought that I looked for. I wonder if they retrofit them into a space that was used for something else before? Anyway, both ships have guest laundry now.

I was on the Countess in 2013, a couple of years after you. The laundry room was there at that time. I suppose it could have been added during that 2 year time period. We've since taken advantage of the free bag/passenger.

Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, acwmom said:

The current U ships (formerly the Ambassador and Baroness) did not have laundry facilities. I think those were the only two who didn't.

Robin

According to the deck plans on the U by Uniworld website (https://www.ubyuniworld.com/us/ships) both the A and the B (what kind of odd names are those?!) now have guest laundries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

According to the deck plans on the U by Uniworld website (https://www.ubyuniworld.com/us/ships) both the A and the B (what kind of odd names are those?!) now have guest laundries.

 

The names are supposed to appeal to Millennials. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...