Adding a second person

Jobsies

I booked a cruise as a single for February. I was told when I booked I would be able to add a person for just the taxes and port fees, as long as there was room on the ship.

I called today to see about adding my sister and they said I also need to pay another $120, on top of the port fees, for a total of $300.  The $120 is for a noncommission fee which she then is part of the cruise fair for each person. When I said I paid that then, and she admitted I paid 200%, she still wants me to pay it again.

She finally told me to call back tomorrow and ‘speak to someone else’.

Has anyone had a similar situation?

I've booked solo in the past and added a 2nd person later.  No additional charge other than the taxes and port fees.  Even if you booked Early Saver, this is not considered a name change (which is not allowed) as there was no name in the first place.

Yes, call back and speak to someone else.

This is when it's handy to either have a PVP or a TA to deal with.  Sometimes I've had very good service from the generic 800 number; other times, not so much.

Just doesn't sound right. I also booked a solo and added another person and was charged taxes and fees. Give a call back. It's possible the person was new or misinformed. Good luck and please let use know how things went.  

Are you booked through a travel agent? Because I have no idea what a “noncommissioned fee” is. That doesn’t sound like part of a regular cruise fare that you pay when booking directly. I’m wondering if it’s a fee the travel agency charges to use their services. 

You must have book through a shady Travel Agent. You definitely shouldn't have to pay a commission fee. Just taxes and port fees. I do this on almost every cruise. I book solo and add on once I know for sure the other person is going. I'd report him or her to Carnival. 

Edited by Treyatl2006

Please let us know what you are told today. You shouldn't be paying any more than the taxes and fees. A non commissionable is just an amount of the cruise fare that TA's don't make a commission on. The client would not normally even be aware of what this amount is.