Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SF

Private car service Hong Kong - Macau

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have information for Private Car Service that's reasonable and reliable to go from Hong Kong to Macau?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SF said:

Does anyone have information for Private Car Service that's reasonable and reliable to go from Hong Kong to Macau?

 

Since the paint hasn't dried yet on the new Hong Kong - Macau Bridge you have to use an authorized bridge shuttle service for the trip, private cars and taxis are currently not allowed.

 

If you still want to drive to Macau, you'll have to go into China and back out, with border crossing formalities for HK-China and China-Macau.  As a foreigner you'll have to get out of the car with your luggage, clear Chinese immigration and customs. Drive across the border and repeat with the Macau side.  Drive through China:classic_unsure: Repeat when going back.  And have the right Chinese visa.

 

As you probably know the best way is by ferry.

 

Or by helicopter :classic_smile:

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

Edited by Philob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did the bus over in March just to say we've done the new bridge. $65 HK for an adult.  My husband got the senior rate at $33 for some reason.  LOL  It's easy and cheap.  Even the bus on the other side (101X) to get to Senado and St Paul's Ruins downtown was easy and cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem for us is we'll each have a regular sized suitcase and a carry on. We heard the ferry limits luggage. We'd like to visit Macau for two or three days but not sure if it's worth the hassle with luggage by bus. After searching online for a private driver we saw they do have a company but you have to change cars after customs/immigration and it is expensive. 

Edited by SF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SF said:

The problem for us is we'll each have a regular sized suitcase and a carry on. We heard the ferry limits luggage. We'd like to visit Macau for two or three days but not sure if it's worth the hassle with luggage by bus.

 

We haven't been to Macau yet but we're planning to spend 3 nites there next April after we disembark a cruise in HK.  We plan to take TurboJet from the China Ferry Terminal in Kowloon to the Macau Outer Ferry Terminal.  Returning we'll take TurboJet from Macau Outer Ferry Terminal directly to SkyPier Ferry Terminal at HKIA. Certain airlines (including ours) provide a Tag Through Baggage Service where luggage check-in is done at the ferry terminal in Macau to your final destination.

I don't think you need to worry about luggage on the ferry.  TurboJet allows you a hand held carry-on as well as checked baggage up to 3 standard pieces each within 40 kg.


https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/routing-sailing-schedule/kowloon-macau/luggage-services.aspx

Depending on where your cruise ship docks in HK and where you stay on Macau, you may need to look at different ferry/terminal options.  Both Hong Kong and Macau each have 2 ferry terminals and there are 2 main ferry companies serving that route.  You'd need to research which fits your needs the best.  Hope that helps!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

 

We haven't been to Macau yet but we're planning to spend 3 nites there next April after we disembark a cruise in HK.  We plan to take TurboJet from the China Ferry Terminal in Kowloon to the Macau Outer Ferry Terminal.  Returning we'll take TurboJet from Macau Outer Ferry Terminal directly to SkyPier Ferry Terminal at HKIA. Certain airlines (including ours) provide a Tag Through Baggage Service where luggage check-in is done at the ferry terminal in Macau to your final destination.

I don't think you need to worry about luggage on the ferry.  TurboJet allows you a hand held carry-on as well as checked baggage up to 3 standard pieces each within 40 kg.


https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/routing-sailing-schedule/kowloon-macau/luggage-services.aspx

Depending on where your cruise ship docks in HK and where you stay on Macau, you may need to look at different ferry/terminal options.  Both Hong Kong and Macau each have 2 ferry terminals and there are 2 main ferry companies serving that route.  You'd need to research which fits your needs the best.  Hope that helps!
 

 

The other ferry service has similar size/weight requirements too.

https://www.cotaiwaterjet.com/

https://www.cotaiwaterjet.com/terms-n-conditions.html

Edited by Philob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out this thread for the question I posed on TA for a transfer from Lantau Island to Macau (for a day trip):

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k13013910-Lantau_Island_to_Macau-Hong_Kong.html

 

Apparently, a taxi service to Macau (from HK) is provided only by a limited set of operators - but there are some great alternatives. 

 

Instead of Macau, we will stay in Lantau Island (HK Disneyland, actually) and do a day trip to Macau.  We have zero interest in gambling but love finding Disney so far from home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all for some different suggestions.

We'll also be watching to see what transpires in the next few weeks and finalize our plans then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent a day in Macau, doing the Turbojet 9 am ferry from Kowloon and 9:30 pm turbojet ferry back. Taxis are fairly cheap and all accept HK dollars.  We spent a half day on the old town and then half day in the Venetian and then caught the late afternoon show of House Of Dancing Water.  I don't know if we would have stayed more than two days in Macau.  There's not much there other than the old town and casinos.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...