Hotels in Quebec City

gemduncan

We will be on NCL Gem that departs out of Boston and ends in Quebec City. We are planning to stay an extra day or two in Quebec City. I’m debating between these 2 hotels:

Hotel Palace Royal - closer to all the museums

Hotel Port Royal - closer to Old City Quebec

I’m traveling with my husband, daughter (age 11), and my father (age 73). My dad said Hotel Port Royal is a better location because it has a lot of charm and little cafe shops. I thought Palace Royal would be better so we could walk around and see stuff. We will rely on taxis/ Ubers while there. Any thoughts? Btw, this is a special trip for my father. 

The Port Royal is down near the dock - right across from the main terminal, in fact, although often NCL finds itself at Wharf 30 instead of Wharves 22 or 21, which are the ones served by the main cruise terminal, so that location might not matter to you.

The Palace Royal is in Upper Town, literally across from one of the city gates, so in fact it's just as close to Old Quebec, even if outside the city walls (so is the Port Royal, for that matter).

In terms of touring and walking around, I would say the Palace Royal is the superior location, as there's more to see and do in Upper Town vs Lower Town, although Lower Town is worth a look-see. You can reassure your father that he won't want for cafés and shops in Upper Town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twickenham said:

The Port Royal is down near the dock - right across from the main terminal, in fact, although often NCL finds itself at Wharf 30 instead of Wharves 22 or 21, which are the ones served by the main cruise terminal, so that location might not matter to you.

The Palace Royal is in Upper Town, literally across from one of the city gates, so in fact it's just as close to Old Quebec, even if outside the city walls (so is the Port Royal, for that matter).

In terms of touring and walking around, I would say the Palace Royal is the superior location, as there's more to see and do in Upper Town vs Lower Town, although Lower Town is worth a look-see. You can reassure your father that he won't want for cafés and shops in Upper Town.

Agree...We were just (Oct 3-7) in Quebec City for a few pre-cruise days....Yes stay in upper town. We stayed at Auberge Place d Armes and loved the location !!

Thank you Twickenham & Ashland!  Now I just need to convince my dad. He thinks The Palace Royal will be too busy / congested area. But I want to be in walking distance to all the sightseeing stuff and restaurants. 

I was also looking at Auberge Saint-Antoine hotel.  I will also check out Auberge Place d Armes.  Are there other hotels that you would recommend?  

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ashland said:

We just had an amazing view of that hotel from our corner room at Auberge Place d Armes.

In my opinion there is nothing like spending time in the hotel.The first time we were there was 1972 and in 2013 we met a Bellman who was working there 50 years.