Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
MSEm

VO Thanksgiving Day Dinner

Does VO put on a special menu or Thanksgiving Day?

When we sailed over Thanksgiving three years ago their effort to provide a Thanksgiving dinner wasn't great.  There was turkey, but most of the traditional sides were not available.  The dessert offerings were no different then the other days.  Many people complained and pumpkin pie was offered several days later (but no pecan).

Why would you expect a full thanksgiving meal?  Viking has travellers from many countries so not sure there should be an expectation they will recognise such expectations.

I don't think we as guests should expect Viking to provide a US Holiday feast including turkey and all the trimmings.  I can't even imagine complaining about not getting pumpkin pie.  WOW

1 hour ago, jiminyC_fan said:

I don't think we as guests should expect Viking to provide a US Holiday feast including turkey and all the trimmings.  I can't even imagine complaining about not getting pumpkin pie.  WOW

Exactly!

I wouldn't expect Viking to provide Thanksgiving dinner ... they are best off not even trying.  I have learned the hard way that in a group of twenty people there will twenty different versions of a "typical" Thanksgiving dinner.  I tried once to put together a "Thanksgiving Feast" for my school (Principal tries to do something nice!) and it was a nightmare!  Some want stuffing, others prefer it outside of the bird ... and don't even get me started on deep frying the turkey!  Some loved the idea of pumpkin pie but others insisted that it wasn't "Thanksgiving with out sweet potato pie.  "What!  No potato salad?!?"  Needless to say, "typical" tends to be based on family traditions and are best  left to the family.  I ultimately defied tradition and order pizzas for everyone the week after Thanksgiving when everyone was sick of turkey!

We will be on a VO cruise thisT-Day.

I was just wondering about VO menus.  Some cruise line try to put on the "full American" T_day meal.

I remember our first T-day meal when stationed in Greece with the US Air Force. We were invited for T-Day and every guest was requested to bring their favorite Mexican dish to share.

My great niece has already stated," Thanksgiving is gonna S---------!. Aunt Em will not be here to cook the ham."

Do Viking do special meals to recognise occasions special to other nationalities than American? If not then I don't see why this should be expected for Thanksgiving.