Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sugar*Magnolia

Wear Your Best. Is this the "new formal" fleet wide

Recommended Posts

On 11/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Or shorts and a wife beater.  And don’t forget the ball cap, worn backward at the table.  

 

Im gonna get my popcorn...

Actually have seen people asked to change clothes sent/went away, wearing Wife Beater/shorts and tank top/shorts. This was on Formal nites, resent as in 2017 and 2018. Observed a few returning changed... Cruise Solo and a people watcher...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wish to dress formally, those are the nights to do it.  Nowadays, with luggage restrictions on airlines, few bring their formal-wear.  You will not be out of place if you choose to dress up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Does it really matter what they call it.  Nothing is ever enforced and it’s really “wear whatever you like”

Finally 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Allure two weeks ago I saw a guy in the MDR wearing flip flops, shorts, vest and baseball cap (backwards).

 

I asked the Maitre'd why he did not politely ask him to return more appropriately dressed for the evening meal. His replied he did not want to cause upset.

 

I replied, that his inaction had upset me and I will mark down the MDR in my RCCL questionnaire accordingly including his name.

 

His face was a picture! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Esprit said:

On Allure two weeks ago I saw a guy in the MDR wearing flip flops, shorts, vest and baseball cap (backwards).

 

I asked the Maitre'd why he did not politely ask him to return more appropriately dressed for the evening meal. His replied he did not want to cause upset.

 

I replied, that his inaction had upset me and I will mark down the MDR in my RCCL questionnaire accordingly including his name.

 

His face was a picture! 

 

Bravo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before airlines started charging for checked baggage, I was all about formal nights.  Now I don't want to use precious bag space for a dress and shoes that will be worn for a few hours.  I've also gone on many music charters where there is no dress code, but there are theme nights.  In packing for my upcoming "regular" cruise, I had to write out a packing list to remind myself I needed actual nice clothing for dinner and didn't need to bring any weird accessories or cat leggings.  Though I might still bring the cat leggings to wear to the gym.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 5:12 PM, Joebucks said:

This is because dressing up is obsolete. Fight it all you want, it is.

For Millennials, I think this is true.  I do notice that my Gen Z young adults are swinging back the other way, to a life with better manners and respect for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 2:27 PM, MrsKC08 said:

No matter what they call it, we will always dress formal. One of our favorite things about cruising.

Same here.

 

On 11/11/2019 at 7:12 PM, Joebucks said:

This is because dressing up is obsolete. Fight it all you want, it is.

Maybe for you, but not for everyone.

 

We just got off of a 7 night Allure cruise and they were listed as formal nights. Hubby wore tux and I wore a gown. 

 

Funny how some people say they don't want to take up room by packing formal clothes, but they have no problem packing for theme nights. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

Same here.

 

Maybe for you, but not for everyone.

 

We just got off of a 7 night Allure cruise and they were listed as formal nights. Hubby wore tux and I wore a gown. 

 

Funny how some people say they don't want to take up room by packing formal clothes, but they have no problem packing for theme nights. 🙄

The costumes we saw for Halloween aboard Allure were way heavier than my four tux' jackets I took put together!

I was also puzzled why so many people had their Halloween costumes on (a formal night too) three days before the 31st.

I thought it was a kids event but was surprised how over the top adults dress up. Not just in scary costumes either.

Maybe it's because I'm English but I just didn't get it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We enjoy dressing up on a cruise- It isn't obsolete- some people still enjoy celebrating the evening-  Other people do not enjoy dressing or they do not want to purchase new  clothes for the occasion.  

 

To each his/her own-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have worked for the same company for 24yrs. When I first started I wore a shirt, tie and dress pants. Now I wear a polo shirt dockers and at times black jeans. Everything is relaxed now.   I have no issue whether it's formal or not.  What I see now is barely any participation on formal night and the few who do participate just phone it in. Since the dress code is only for the dining room it just doesn't make sense to pack something that you will only be in for an hour or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Esprit said:

The costumes we saw for Halloween aboard Allure were way heavier than my four tux' jackets I took put together!

I was also puzzled why so many people had their Halloween costumes on (a formal night too) three days before the 31st.

I thought it was a kids event but was surprised how over the top adults dress up. Not just in scary costumes either.

Maybe it's because I'm English but I just didn't get it!

You bring up a good point. People like to blame the airlines for not taking formal wear. It doesn't stop them from bringing holiday and door decorations, white noise machines, over the door shoe organizers, votive candles, power stations and small fans.  Evidently a silk tie weighs too much and takes up too much room. I always pack at least a dress shirt and tie. I don't wear them but have it if I need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Does it really matter what they call it.  Nothing is ever enforced and it’s really “wear whatever you like”

 

LOL...when you get right down to it, this is what it has turned into. I'm almost offended after taking the time to drag along my sport coat and a tie, then find in the MDR that some people are in jeans, casual shirt, and wearing a baseball cap to top it all off. Cheapens the experience at that point. For those that want to dress up to get some formal pictures, that's fine. Then again, it's symptomatic of our culture as having become a bit too lax in some cases. Times change. Back in the day women typically wore their fancy hats to church and so forth. When doing land tours over the years, I've always remarked how European travelers typically have dressed much nicer - even for being out and about during the day, compared to the 'shorts and t-shirt' approach that people from the US often seem to favor (including myself). Just my two cents though. As for cruising, probably depends on the line. I'm sure some luxury lines out there likely are more 'fussy' about dress code? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My days of dressing "formal" are long gone.  I do country club casual, it this is good enough for Oceania, it is good enough for Royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rucruisn2 said:

My days of dressing "formal" are long gone.  I do country club casual, it this is good enough for Oceania, it is good enough for Royal.

I cannot understand why men's slacks, shirts, loafers or drivers and ties weight more then other types of clothes?   I understand that a tux might be difficult to bring-  but dinner clothes?  what is that about?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sorry but I’m on vacation.   There will be nothing formal in my luggage.   Last thing I want to do is be in a stuffy old suit jacket or tie on vacation.  
but that’s me.   Won’t do it on my 7 day in January.  Or any other cruises I have booked.  
 

but those that enjoy it. Have at it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can relate to wearing suits when I worked in sales in the 90`s .

We sold mechanical equipment and we all looked a slick as gangsters with double breasted suits 

along with the leather brief case .

I must say we looked good back then , but then we went casual later on and dress pants and shirts or polo`s 

were the norm.

The entire industry went business casual as soon as my company lost the suit and ties . Everyone followed the lead.

I must say , if I had to wear a tie again I wouldn't do it .

I work from home now in my sweat pants .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have worked for the same company for 24yrs. When I first started I wore a shirt, tie and dress pants. Now I wear a polo shirt dockers and at times black jeans. Everything is relaxed now.   I have no issue whether it's formal or not.  What I see now is barely any participation on formal night and the few who do participate just phone it in. Since the dress code is only for the dining room it just doesn't make sense to pack something that you will only be in for an hour or two. 

 

This is a good point. When I first started cruising, I stayed in my formal clothes all night, both formal nights.

 

Now, at least one of those nights if not both, I'll head to the cabin to change....or at least lose the tie and jacket.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, loman said:

I can relate to wearing suits when I worked in sales in the 90`s .

We sold mechanical equipment and we all looked a slick as gangsters with double breasted suits 

along with the leather brief case .

I must say we looked good back then , but then we went casual later on and dress pants and shirts or polo`s 

were the norm.

The entire industry went business casual as soon as my company lost the suit and ties . Everyone followed the lead.

I must say , if I had to wear a tie again I wouldn't do it .

I work from home now in my sweat pants .

 

Just don't wear the sweat pants to the MDR on formal night.😉

 

Other nights, you can probably get away with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, why do they call it formal if they don't really mean formal?  I remember years ago on Celebrity on a formal night we saw darling young couple come into the dining room on formal night.  She was wearing a short cocktail dress, he had on a shirt and tie, long pants.  They would not let them into the dining room because he didn't have a jacket on.  My husband got up handed the young man his jacket so he could get into the dining room.  Lots of men take off the jacket when they sit down anyway.  Just another reason I love my hubby.  Shame on Celebrity for embarrassing a guest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

So, why do they call it formal if they don't really mean formal?  I remember years ago on Celebrity on a formal night we saw darling young couple come into the dining room on formal night.  She was wearing a short cocktail dress, he had on a shirt and tie, long pants.  They would not let them into the dining room because he didn't have a jacket on.  My husband got up handed the young man his jacket so he could get into the dining room.  Lots of men take off the jacket when they sit down anyway.  Just another reason I love my hubby.  Shame on Celebrity for embarrassing a guest.

 Not an issue anymore. Formal evening has been replaced with evening chic on Celebrity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Harmony last week and there were two "Formal" nights listed in the Cruise Compass. Surprising the large number of guests who dressed appropriately despite the impression one gets when reading responses in Cruise Critic. 

Edited by Scotty G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy wearing my barong Tagalog and slacks for formal night, always get nodding approvals from the Filipino crew members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...