Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sidari

Yacht Club Changes

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Fogfog said:

When/how was this added? Had read it was being added ship by shp and starting in May 2020

Is this changed and available now to YC? and All ships?

 

Not in effect yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

When/how was this added? Had read it was being added ship by shp and starting in May 2020

Is this changed and available now to YC? and All ships?

Yep, i wasnt offered free internet for our spring Grandiosa YC cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

We were in 18011. Therrie (Terry)  was our butler the first week and we had Glen the second week. All of the butlers we came into contact with were wonderful. The most memorable was Maria, she always stopped to talk to us and see if there was anyway she could help us make our cruise better.

That's good to hear, we are in stateroom 16047. This will be our first cruise with MSC, so we are excited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hamrag said:

But you'd still be able to purchase them.....✍️ 🤣

 

I doubt they'll stock them after the changes.  I can always buy some at home and bring them with me if it were to matter that much.  Just knowing they were available was a nice touch.

 

I'll miss the Deluxe package, with included mini-bar, on our non YC sailings, too.  (Oops ... off-topic  😯 😜)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2013cruiser2013 said:

For me personally, my concern is coming from the lack of transparency of a change to a previously included amenity.  The fact that they are "adding" internet doesn't excuse this. 

I think it's always been transparent. Just checked my e-ticket from 1st YC cruise in 2016, it says it includes drinks in MSC YC areas including mini bar. My documents have never said mini bar snacks included, but the butler always said we could have. Just as Moet wasn't included but frequently given. As for the mini bottles - MSC are simply changing items stocked in the mini bar. They offer drinks in mini bar but have never promised contents of mini bar.
The included internet is a fabulous bonus and a full bottle spirits or champagne is a great start to a cruise in my opinion. Top sail lounge etc will still be available for spirits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hamrag said:

But you'd still be able to purchase them.....✍️ 🤣

Not going to purchase them.  I do not purchase things from mini bars.  They are a nice amenity and I'll be upset if they cease to offer them.  As I've said many times, one of the small things that set YC apart from other suite programs.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

 we had Glen the second week. All of the butlers we came into contact with were wonderful. The most memorable was Maria, she always stopped to talk to us and see if there was anyway she could help us make our cruise better.

 

We were on Seaside in October in December 2018 when Maria was an assistant butler.   She would literally RUN down the hall to open our door and give us a hug as we would come back.   Such a friendly warm person.  She must be more "professional" as a butler, but obviously her genuine warmth comes out.   So nice.

 

We'd see Glen all the time in public areas.   His smile was infectious.  It just made you smile in response.  

 

Love love love YC and we are booked for next year.

 

--Russ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

.....I'll miss the Deluxe package, with included mini-bar, on our non YC sailings, too.  (Oops ... off-topic  😯 😜)

Be very careful, An Garda Síochána will be along soon to caution you for going off-topic!! 🤣

Edited by hamrag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We, too, enjoyed the snacks and the convenience of the beverages in the mini bar on Divina and Seaside.  Great for a quick drink on the balcony during sail away from a port, or as a snack during an excursion.  Whenever we would use a beverage, Vishnu would usually put two of the same thing back in the frig to replace the one we took.

 

What's happening on Meraviglia now that it is in the US?  Are snacks and drinks in the mini-bar still free?

 

Along those same lines, our favorite snack in the Top Sail on Divina was the bags of truffle potato chips.  So good!  We were sad when they told us on Seaside that they were no longer available.

 

IMG_4516.thumb.jpeg.c9e5a941cdcf98ab61a7d79f9167411c.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

 

The only thing I need internet for on a cruise is to check in for my flight home and the last time I did that I think I paid  around $6 so no big deal for me.

 

Maybe the concierge could have helped me with that?  

 

Absolutely.  He printed out our boarding passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, EMc&DrS said:

 

What's happening on Meraviglia now that it is in the US?  Are snacks and drinks in the mini-bar still free?

 

 

They were for our 23 night NY-Canada-NY-Miami cruise.  A very senior concierge onboard hadn't heard about any changes to the mini-bar situation for Meraviglia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re:  Luggage Tags

 

My  travel agent sent me printed documents that included luggage tags designated for YC.  The agency also provided plastic luggage tags for me to try to apply to my luggage.

8 hours ago, bluefish17 said:

They will put new tags on for you at the YC tent. They write your cabin number on with a pen. Just watch and make sure they write the correct number legibly.

Another tip-

When you arrive at the terminal, it can be a bit of a madhouse. Tell them to drop you at the white YC tent which will be at the first part of the building you get to.

The Miami porters are very aggressive. Dont let anyone take your bags until you get to the butlers at the tent. They have their own porter and luggage cart right there.

 

Surely appreciate the above post as I will be driving to the Port and leaving my luggage before I find the appropriate parking garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Re:  Luggage Tags

 

My  travel agent sent me printed documents that included luggage tags designated for YC.  The agency also provided plastic luggage tags for me to try to apply to my luggage.

 

Surely appreciate the above post as I will be driving to the Port and leaving my luggage before I find the appropriate parking garage.

In that case, you will want to turn off to the right as you approach the terminal. This will be near the bow of the ship. This turn off will let you get close to the YC tent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Everyone is upset about this possible change, but I have yet to see anyone giving MSC props for adding the premium internet package to the list of YC privileges.  I'd personally trade snacks and minibar for free internet in a heartbeat.  

Props to MSC for adding premium internet to the list of YC privileges.  Has a roll-out schedule been released yet or is this a future plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Props to MSC for adding premium internet to the list of YC privileges.  Has a roll-out schedule been released yet or is this a future plan?

When did they do this? We were on the Seaside the middle of October and just got 5gb of data transfer for the two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

When did they do this? We were on the Seaside the middle of October and just got 5gb of data transfer for the two weeks.

 

Premium Internet Package*, up to 4GB (depending on the length of the cruise)

 

*Included for cruises starting from May 2020, for all ships having an MSC Yacht Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to say 2 quick things regarding the proposed changes:

1. I'm not happy about it, but:

2. The YC price for our upcoming cruise on Meraviglia is WAY below what we would've paid for the same stateroom last year on the Seaside. I know because I remember thinking "wow, we can't afford that." So my point is that if they sell me a stateroom for almost $1,000 less and then substitute a full litre bottle of champagne in exchange for charging for the mini-bar, who cares? There's no way I'd eat/drink $1,000 worth of mini-bar items. No. Way. My minor disappointment over the proposed change (which may not even have an impact on our December cruise) is more than tempered by my joy at having scored a YC room for a great price. Point being, MSC can't lower prices and keep the same service, it's just basic economics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I just want to say 2 quick things regarding the proposed changes:

1. I'm not happy about it, but:

2. The YC price for our upcoming cruise on Meraviglia is WAY below what we would've paid for the same stateroom last year on the Seaside. I know because I remember thinking "wow, we can't afford that." So my point is that if they sell me a stateroom for almost $1,000 less and then substitute a full litre bottle of champagne in exchange for charging for the mini-bar, who cares? There's no way I'd eat/drink $1,000 worth of mini-bar items. No. Way. My minor disappointment over the proposed change (which may not even have an impact on our December cruise) is more than tempered by my joy at having scored a YC room for a great price. Point being, MSC can't lower prices and keep the same service, it's just basic economics.

 

 

When you paid for your YC experience these things were all included already.  Only after they took your money did they think it appropriate to nickel and dime you on what is supposed to be their top level.  You got the great price to start with.  They didn't give you anything for removing things.  That's like if I get a great deal on an appliance package and pay for it, but when it gets delivered I find something is a lesser model or lower features than I had paid for and I say 'Well, I got such a great deal to start with, it really doesn't matter if I'm not getting what I paid for."  

 

If both parties benefit; that's fine.  When only one party benefits, it is not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

 

 

When you paid for your YC experience these things were all included already.  Only after they took your money did they think it appropriate to nickel and dime you on what is supposed to be their top level.  You got the great price to start with.  They didn't give you anything for removing things.  That's like if I get a great deal on an appliance package and pay for it, but when it gets delivered I find something is a lesser model or lower features than I had paid for and I say 'Well, I got such a great deal to start with, it really doesn't matter if I'm not getting what I paid for."  

 

If both parties benefit; that's fine.  When only one party benefits, it is not. 

I totally agree with you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the Taz di Blu Yacht Club Nuts the chocolate covered ones? 5.5 eros, Is that a good price? Will they add 15% on top? Not bothered by the pringles. I'd prefer chocolate covered raisins! Maybe I could just take some. Is that allowed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ranchette said:

I totally agree with you

I am happy with what MSC is offering, given that their pricing is way below what I could find on RCL, Celebrity and NCL for the same time period. @LMaxwell makes a very valid point about the cruise line changing the offerings after the fact, but every cruise line makes sure to cover itself within the Terms and Conditions that allow them to make adjustments at any time. I know a lot of passengers book cruises way ahead of time (2-3 years before is not uncommon), and it would be financially untenable to hold a cruise line to every facet of the experience that far in advance. They have to be allowed to make adjustments, and MSC is not at all alone in this regard. All cruise lines take things away, charge for items previously included for free, change itineraries, whatever the case may be. That's just life, and this is just my opinion. Others have theirs and that's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 5:19 AM, hamrag said:

 

Yes, that makes sense as the beer bottles are cumbersome but spirit miniatures are not!

 

I have read on these threads, not often but occasionally, of passengers emptying their minibar twice a day and going home with their 'swag'. Most who do that would not be posting such on these boards, so I wonder if this is prevalent and the powers that be have decided to remove this particular YC perk as it was intended for cabin use only? I am not criticising anyone who would take a few snacks on a port tour for example....we have done that a few times.

Many people in the YC on our Seaside Nov 9 cruise told us they were staying in Miami for a few days and emptied their minibar to take with them.  This must cost MSC a fortune and I may not like the change, but understand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bigblue1952 said:

Many people in the YC on our Seaside Nov 9 cruise told us they were staying in Miami for a few days and emptied their minibar to take with them.  This must cost MSC a fortune and I may not like the change, but understand it.

I suppose, if you do that on final day it's no biggie. But if you are doing it every day of the cruise, then......!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

 

 

When you paid for your YC experience these things were all included already.  Only after they took your money did they think it appropriate to nickel and dime you on what is supposed to be their top level.  You got the great price to start with.  They didn't give you anything for removing things.  That's like if I get a great deal on an appliance package and pay for it, but when it gets delivered I find something is a lesser model or lower features than I had paid for and I say 'Well, I got such a great deal to start with, it really doesn't matter if I'm not getting what I paid for."  

 

If both parties benefit; that's fine.  When only one party benefits, it is not. 

 

One thing I have learned about life.  If someone is determined to be unhappy about something they can always find a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigblue1952 said:

Many people in the YC on our Seaside Nov 9 cruise told us they were staying in Miami for a few days and emptied their minibar to take with them.  This must cost MSC a fortune and I may not like the change, but understand it.

And still no word or proof of why it was changed! Just supposition on the part of a few people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...