Jet skiing

There is at Coco Cay.

It is follow the leader, but the leader pretty much runs flat out.  They try to sort people as to expected speed, but will resort at the stops to get the faster people in front.  The stops are for the slower people to catch up.

Even two up, my SO and I run near the front at about 40 MPH indicated.

It is follow the leader as there are some VERY shallow spots around Coco Cay that would hang up even a wave runner.

We did follow the leader in Labadee two weeks ago. I wanted to go fast so I was given position 1 behind the leader. I was flat out but the jet ski was limited to 39 mph. Every time I got close to the leader he would pull away. I asked if he had more power than me and he gave me a knowing smile!

Fantastic experience particular when we started hitting the rolling waves. Got some great air time. Those in my group who were much slower were not under any pressure to go fast. There was a follower who made sure no one got left behind or disorientated.

Edited by Esprit

41 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

There is Jet Skies at ever island in the Caribbean.

Don't do it from RC.

Unless you want to pay more and be micro managed.

Agree, but the OP has no choice at Coco Cay.  It's all "follow the leader" at Coco Cay.

Now mind you, if you are a weekend warrior, and not used to using the jet skis it would be safer to rent them at CC or Labadee.

Those guides know the waters and know where to look for sand barges and other water hazards.

If you have experience I would cautiously rent on the other ports,  You know how to jet ski, but need still to be aware of water hazards. And I would wonder just exactly the maintenance record is for the skis.

Just saying

We are weekend warriors and have done the jet skis about 7 times at Labadee.

And over the years this gently aging mama has dropped from ranking #3 to #9, and I still have fun.

Be safe

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

MY CC name is based on Jet Skis, of course, they are not jet skis, they are personal watercraft.  Jet Skis take more skill to ride as you have to stand-up on a much smaller device.

XP a model of Sea Doo aka  CDOO J=me K=DW

jc

Are Jet Skis and Waverunners the same thing? At Labadee they called the personal watercraft I rode Waverunners. At Paradise Beach in Cozumel they also call what they have Waverunners. In Bermuda they call the personal watercraft tours Jet Ski tours. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

MY CC name is based on Jet Skis, of course, they are not jet skis, they are personal watercraft.  Jet Skis take more skill to ride as you have to stand-up on a much smaller device.

XP a model of Sea Doo aka  CDOO J=me K=DW

jc

Loved XP since got my First one in 1995

On 11/10/2019 at 10:41 PM, msgiggles76 said:

Is there Jet skiing at Coco Cay and or Paradise Beach in Cozumel?  Leaving on the Harmony in July and my niece would love to do it.

Remember lot of places have age requirements, unless a passenger some need have Driver's Licence to drive...

We did the jet skis at Coco Cay. You follow a guide seperated by about 100 yards a person. I found it far too fast. I was doing over 30 MPH and still trailing others. You don't have an option to go out on your own if you want to. It was all follow the leader for about 45 minutes. We've done this before but were not very experienced. 

8 minutes ago, RBKL said:

We did the jet skis at Coco Cay. You follow a guide seperated by about 100 yards a person. I found it far too fast. I was doing over 30 MPH and still trailing others. You don't have an option to go out on your own if you want to. It was all follow the leader for about 45 minutes. We've done this before but were not very experienced. 

Yeah, it's always been(25+ yrs) follow the leader at Coco Cay and Labadee. I prefer/preferred it this way, otherwise to many inexperienced idiots driving every which way

Edited by ONECRUISER

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Are Jet Skis and Waverunners the same thing? At Labadee they called the personal watercraft I rode Waverunners. At Paradise Beach in Cozumel they also call what they have Waverunners. In Bermuda they call the personal watercraft tours Jet Ski tours. 

No.

Jet Skis are the original type, and you stand up on them. Jet Ski is a trademarked name for Kawasaki.   But you have to be moving to get up on them, so a lot more skill is required.  You start holding on to the controls, mostly in the water.  Then you start, pull yourself forward and step up on it.  These are also called Stand Up PWC (Personal Water Craft).  It seems only Kawasaki and Yamaha (SuperJet) still make this style.

Wave Runner is a trademarked name of Yamaha.  But is becoming somewhat generic for the sit down PWC.  These are what they have at Coco Cay.  There are a number of brands of this type of PWC, called different things: Bombardier (Sea Doo),  Honda (AquaTrax), Polaris (Sealion) and Arctic Cat (Tigershark).

7 hours ago, SRF said:

No.

Jet Skis are the original type, and you stand up on them. Jet Ski is a trademarked name for Kawasaki.   But you have to be moving to get up on them, so a lot more skill is required.  You start holding on to the controls, mostly in the water.  Then you start, pull yourself forward and step up on it.  These are also called Stand Up PWC (Personal Water Craft).  It seems only Kawasaki and Yamaha (SuperJet) still make this style.

Wave Runner is a trademarked name of Yamaha.  But is becoming somewhat generic for the sit down PWC.  These are what they have at Coco Cay.  There are a number of brands of this type of PWC, called different things: Bombardier (Sea Doo),  Honda (AquaTrax), Polaris (Sealion) and Arctic Cat (Tigershark).

Exactly this, I have owned a Jet Ski, a Seadoo, and a Waverunner.  My family (sister) has also owned Polaris and Arctic Cat.

I prefer seadoo, but my waverunner late 90s model was the most comfortable and stable. 

jc

10 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

On the ship's private island/beaches, the wave runners are a "follow the leader" sort of thing.  You can't rent them and do your own thing.

If you google your port along with "wave runner" or "jet ski", lots of options will pop up.

What a news flash......

Except this has already been covered.

And exactly how many times have you done the wave runner at CocoCay or Labadee?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SRF said:

What a news flash......

Except this has already been covered.

And exactly how many times have you done the wave runner at CocoCay or Labadee?

You have been around long enough that you should know the person you are replying to posts and runs.  I doubt they even read repies to their posts. It is all about their post count. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You have been around long enough that you should know the person you are replying to posts and runs.  I doubt they even read repies to their posts. It is all about their post count. 

It was more of a warning to those who do not know him.

Where in MD are you?  I am Harford County.

Edited by SRF