New to Seabourn; a Few Questions

seatrial

Hi.  I have just booked a Caribbean cruise on Seabourn Sojourn for 12/10/19.  This is my first "luxury" cruise.  I have sailed on Azamara several times and in Suites on Celebrity and Holland America many times.  My first question is about the formal night dress code.   I have a tuxedo and I enjoy wearing it.  Do you think I will be out-of-place wearing my tuxedo on formal night?  I know that very few people wear them these days.  Secondly, how does the marina on Seabourn Sojourn operate?  Is it something that you reserve?  How often might it be used on a typical 11-day Caribbean itinerary?  Finally, there are no reservations remaining for TK prior to 8:45 pm.  Is it possible to try for a reservation once onboard.  Thanks for any feedback.

Marina: I have never been on a Seabourn ship in the Caribbean when the marina has been deployed. Please do not count on it being available as you're likely to be disappointed!

However, the various water toys will usually be made available when the Caviar in the Surf and/or beach BBQ takes place. We're booked on the same cruise and I think we'll have a Caviar in the Surf event at Isla Catalina but I'm not certain of that. 

Tuxedo: we're on board for 25 nights and will be going full formal on formal nights. My partner will be wearing his tuxedo so if you wear yours that will be two of you for sure 🙂 

TK: you should be able to get an earlier booking once onboard. 

Perhaps we'll meet onboard - we are usually found at the Sky Bar for the sailaway party. 

I always take my tux, you will not be out of place. You should check with Seabourn to see if the marina will operate on your cruise , they do not use it on every cruise but if used you do not have to book anything. You can book TK whilst on board or even ask to go on cancellation link.

• Like 1

Hi Seatrial.  We are on the same cruise for 11 days, returning home just before Christmas.

My husband doesn't take a tux (called a DJ in England!) but wears a suit or jacket and tie.  However, quite a few do wear a tux.

I've been on 6 or so hot weather cruises and have never seen the marina and watersports out.... ever.  Maybe we're just unlucky!

As far as TK bookings, if I were you, I'd go along to the restaurant as soon as it opens on the first night and ask them to put you down for a booking before 8.45pm at some point during your cruise.  This happened to us once, they had cancellations and rang us in our Suite to offer a booking to us.

We tend to go to the Observation Bar most evening before dinner, and will look out for you.  We hope you enjoy Sojourn, it's our favourite ship.  

• Like 1

We are also on this cruise, until 12/21. My husband is not planning to take a tux, just jacket and tie. I will wear a nice dress but not a gown.

Don't know about the marina. I have never seen it in operation. Yes I believe Catalina Island will have the caviar in the surf event. This is a fun beach and water day. Don't miss it.

On our current 14 day crossing to Barbados we are having 2 formal nights. Different tastes and styles are in play but we are dressed formally and we enjoy doing so. The first time was the Captain’s party and last night was the Club party.

If you want to dress informally you may enjoy the Earth and Ocean which is terrific with creative but simple menus. In our formal wear it is the Restaurant or TK with the Colonnade somewhere in the middle of the mix for others.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham

5 hours ago, seatrial said:

My first question is about the formal night dress code.   I have a tuxedo and I enjoy wearing it.  Do you think I will be out-of-place wearing my tuxedo on formal night?  I know that very few people wear them these days.

As others have said, no one will say a word and you wont be made to feel out of place, but tuxes on Seabourn these days are becoming a bit of a rare breed, especially compared to the old days. This is especially true on Caribbean trips where everything is a bit more casual anyway-- we've done 3 sailings in the Caribbean in more recent times and very few people dress up with the majority not wearing ties. Just sport coats and slacks (jackets and collared shirts are the only requirement even on formal optional nights). 

Im surprised to hear everyone talking about dressing up-- our experience over the years is that Seabourn has become vastly more casual compared to when we first sailed them 20 years ago. 

Secondly, how does the marina on Seabourn Sojourn operate?  Is it something that you reserve?  How often might it be used on a typical 11-day Caribbean itinerary?

We've had good luck with the marina-- no reservations needed in advance (although you can sign up for water sports once you get there). They will let you know the hours of it on the day it's scheduled to operate (if weather permits) and water toys are on a first come first served basis as the pool. If things become too crowded on the platform they will keep you in the little garage area until room opens up and usher you out.  

Finally, there are no reservations remaining for TK prior to 8:45 pm.  Is it possible to try for a reservation once onboard. 

I would just reserve a night online to get your foot in the door and then talk to the maitre'd when you get onboard the first day.

Hello Seatrail,

I have read that it is your first Seabourn cruise , I do not know if you are aware that you can receive $250.00usd credit  for first timers from a referral. If you have already aware of this that's great just didn't want you to miss out. 

If you need to know more about the referral credit just ask and I will help you. If you have a friend that has traveled on Seabourn and is going to again, get them to apply for it .As they get the credit as well as you. Hope you have a great time.

Hi seatrial - Just got off a similar Sojourn Caribbean Cruise yesterday. This was also our first Seabourn cruise and we LOVED IT! Yes to the tux. True - there only a few, but if you enjoy it, go for it. The Observation Bar is a great place to enjoy some time before or after dinner (we didn't discover it until day 10). Bruno adds a classy ambience with his solo keyboard performance nightly.

On our cruise, the Seabourn beach day (next to last port) was when they brought all the beach toys out from the marina on the back of the ship to the shore. You sign up for their use once on shore. No free jet ski (a separate vendor offered those for a fee), but everything from Seabourn is free - kayaks, a banana boat thing pulled by a fast boat (holds 5 or 6 people) a sofa that holds 3, stand-up paddle boards, etc., and so much more. Crazy fun! Quality snorkel gear is offered free throughout the cruise. They even have tubes of suntan lotion for your use at every pool! The crew, the ship, the entire experience was beyond amazing!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Quality snorkel gear is offered free throughout the cruise. 

We are on the Sojourn on December 10th, and I want to snorkel.  Can I ask if they are the full face masks?

We're trying to travel light and I had considered putting one of ours in the case, but won't bother if they provide full face ones.  I don't get on with the masks and breathing tube type!

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

We are on the Sojourn on December 10th, and I want to snorkel.  Can I ask if they are the full face masks?

We're trying to travel light and I had considered putting one of ours in the case, but won't bother if they provide full face ones.  I don't get on with the masks and breathing tube type!

Thanks!

Please be wary of full face snorkel masks. 

On 11/11/2019 at 8:57 AM, seatrial said:

Hi.  I have just booked a Caribbean cruise on Seabourn Sojourn for 12/10/19.  This is my first "luxury" cruise.  I have sailed on Azamara several times and in Suites on Celebrity and Holland America many times.  My first question is about the formal night dress code.   I have a tuxedo and I enjoy wearing it.  Do you think I will be out-of-place wearing my tuxedo on formal night?  I know that very few people wear them these days.  Secondly, how does the marina on Seabourn Sojourn operate?  Is it something that you reserve?  How often might it be used on a typical 11-day Caribbean itinerary?  Finally, there are no reservations remaining for TK prior to 8:45 pm.  Is it possible to try for a reservation once onboard.  Thanks for any feedback.

Hello seatrial,

We just returned from our first Seabourn cruise on the Caribbean itinerary.  We've also sailed on Celebrity suites and I plan to publish a comparison review in the next few days, but here are the answers to your questions based on our recent experience.

The formal night was on the first Sea day.  Yes, we did see a Tux or two but it was predominantly West-coast formal with no tie.  

The only day when the marina was open was at Carambola beach but they brought all the toys to the shore so you don't miss the beach BBQ.

Like others have mentioned, your best option is to check onboard on the first day for reservations at the TK grill.  The last two Sea days are quite popular and the grill was fully booked for those days.  So, the earlier you book, the better.

Now, here are a few tips: ( these are for any room category and not just the high end suites )

1. Soap selection: our wonderful stewardess Naomi gave us all the four soap choices once she found out that it was our first voyage.  So, go for it.  😊

2.  Caviar and champagne in your room: you've probably already heard about this, but you can actually order a full bottle.  In fact, you can order a full bottle of any of the included wines with room service.  You also receive a full bottle of champagne in your room as the welcome drink.  We didn't even open our free bottle of vodka since we could get wine delivered whenever.

3.  For those who don't drink, the mini bar is restocked on demand and you can personalize your options.  If your choice is available anywhere on the ship, you can get it delivered to your room.  

4. Room service is indeed 24/7, even on the last night.  Chris, the room service manager, was fabulous and took care of all our needs.  You can enjoy multi course dinner from the restaurant menu delivered to your room during posted dinner hours and from the in-suite dining menu the rest of the time.

This is truly a luxury experience, and I'm sure you'll have a blast.  Enjoy!  

• Thanks 2

Seatrial,

To answer your original question, I usually wear my tux on formal nights. I feel a little more comfortable when I do, but lots of men don’t. So you will not feel out of place either way.

Concerning the welcome bottle of champagne which will be iced down in your suite upon arrival, don’t rush to open it right away. Your stewardess will bring you a glass of champagne also. With all of the commotion on the first afternoon aboard, we drink her offering and save the bottle in the minibar until a more opportune moment. Of course, you can always order another bottle if you “squander” the first. The trick is not how to get enough, it’s how not to get too much.

Have fun. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pnsnkr said:

.  In fact, you can order a full bottle of any of the included wines with room service. 

Out of interest, have things changed? Last time I tried to order a full bottle via room service, I was told I could have as many glasses as I wanted, but I would be charged if I wanted them to leave the full bottle.

2 hours ago, lexus man said:

Out of interest, have things changed? Last time I tried to order a full bottle via room service, I was told I could have as many glasses as I wanted, but I would be charged if I wanted them to leave the full bottle.

Not on any of our cruises ever. If the wine was on the included list and they had some, you could have a bottle in your suite gratis. I have never, ever had even the suggestion of a charge. Champagne has always been a mixed bag; we started on Silversea where you could always get a bottle in your suite, when we first asked on Seabourn we were told sorry no full bottles, only glasses which you could order at any time. On the last couple of cruises however we've found our room stewardess quite happy to replace the full bottle, perhaps our diligent use of the champagne saver (cork) so that none is wasted was noticed or .. I have no idea. 

However the answer has always been yes, or a polite no, never, ever have we been told that anything which is not premium would be charged.