Celebrity Tiers category upgrades

We are in the Classic tier. What does the following benefit mean: 'One category upgrade through AquaClass (prior to sailing, when available, restrictions apply).  Does this mean at the pier you asked to be upgraded? Also, if you are in a mid ship balcony, what would be the next category? Hopefully someone knows the answer. Thank you. 

It means that at the time of booking you can book a cabin for the price of a lower tier cabin within that category. So you could get a C2 cabin for the price of a C3, for example. But it has to be within your cabin category. You couldn't do the free upgrade from a regular verandah to a concierge or aqua cabin.

At booking you can get 1 subcategory higher stateroom at the lower subcategory price.  For example

Book Aqua Class A1 and pay A2 price

Book C2 and pay C3 price                    (C1 category is not allowed)

Book category 11 at 12 price

Does not include suites, C1, FV, SV sub categories.

The differences in the category levels (C3 to a C2 for example) is location. The lower numbers are better locations. I've forgotten to ask for the upgrade at booking occasionally and called my TA and asked for the change and was able to get it, but don't wait too long and certainly don't wait until boarding!

But you can from A2 to A1 which we do all the time.  I have never been able to understand the omission of C2 to C1 when Aqua is included in this benefit.  Suites are not included either.

Sorry for the redundancy in answering.  I guess we were all typing together!

Edited by TeaBag

I have not been given the upgrade if the one I was upgrading from was sold out. In other words, when there were no A2's, I couldn't book an A1 at the A2 price (there was no price for them to use since none were available).

I asked about the C1's one time and the rep said it was because they are in such high demand (or something along that line).

On Millennium Class, the C1 staterooms are all located on the aft and feature huge balconies...  They’re very popular, tend to be booked quickly and command a price premium...

Edited by Xport

The C1's I asked about were on the Equinox - I booked 2 great adjacent C1's for a Med cruise on 1st hour of their sale (full rate since couldn't get the upgrade). The Equinox was later redepolyed and the cruise was canceled. We booked the Reflection for a similar cruise, but the C1's were gone. We booked adjacent A1's - our cruise buddies were new to cruising so they didn't get the upgrade discount, but we saved $800! We've never saved that much before for the CC upgrade - that, and the $200 OBC we were given, made the cruise cancellation a little less painful. We had a wonderful time on the Reflection (got to enjoy Blu) and never looked back.

It's great when the upgrade works!

Edited by vtcruising
5 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

At booking you can get 1 subcategory higher stateroom at the lower subcategory price.  For example

Book Aqua Class A1 and pay A2 price

Book C2 and pay C3 price                    (C1 category is not allowed)

Book category 11 at 12 price

Does not include suites, C1, FV, SV sub categories.

11 at 12 is incorrect - not allowed. Here are the details from the Celebrity Website - note the additional exceptions for E-class:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes categories 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I have not been given the upgrade if the one I was upgrading from was sold out. In other words, when there were no A2's, I couldn't book an A1 at the A2 price (there was no price for them to use since none were available).

Yes, there needs to be cabins available in both cabin levels in order to get the higher level cabin at the lower level price.

A few years ago, while surfing CruiseCritic late at night, I noticed a posting about a great A2 price on my sailing (actually cheaper than my existing 2A cabin!) However, we were sailing with another couple and had existing adjacent 2A cabins booked. When I went on the Celebrity website I found there was only one A2 cabin available and the only available adjacent AQ cabins were A1s; so I quickly placed 24-hour holds on the one A2 and the two adjacent A1s.  The following morning I contacted my TA and through a 3-way call with Celebrity was able to transfer both reservations from 2A to A1 at the great A2 price! Had I only placed holds on the A1s, the A2 might well have disappeared by the morning - along with my great deal!

To the OP.

It might be easier to think about this benefit as a down price rather than an upgrade. That is, book the cabin you want, and you will be charged for the price of the category below yours.  If you have booked a category 8, you will be charged the price of a category 9.  If you book a 1a, You get it for the price of a 1B.

This is something that must be done at the time of booking, not at the pier.

Thank you  to everyone for explaining this to me. We already booked at 1B  cabin on a June sailing. I'll give a call later today, you never know, maybe they will change the price. What category do I tell them to change it to?

Edited by Jagggg
8 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

11 at 12 is incorrect - not allowed. Here are the details from the Celebrity Website - note the additional exceptions for E-class:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a super category upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Galapagos voyages. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes categories 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. On Celebrity Edge categories 12, 9, 7, 6, IO, 1B, 1A, SV, ES, E1, C2, C1, A1 are also excluded. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings.

just tried this yesterday via phoning our TA as had booked on line the evening before I had booked a E4 (Edge) and after calling TA with captains club number was upgraded to an E2 cabin. We have only sailed once before with celebrity so lowest tier member 

12 minutes ago, fragilek said:

just tried this yesterday via phoning our TA as had booked on line the evening before I had booked a E4 (Edge) and after calling TA with captains club number was upgraded to an E2 cabin. We have only sailed once before with celebrity so lowest tier member 

Interesting... you should have only been upgraded to an E3.

to add to this I just got a move up offer (2 days after booking) that offers C class for bids of more than 115pp  when it is only £13pp mover for any of the C1- C3 cabins at booking

CATEGORY CODEE2
Edge Stateroom w/ Infinite Veranda

Description The most transformational aspect of our stateroom design is the introduction of the Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda, where with the touch of a button, your entire living space becomes the veranda, letting you walk right out to the water's edge. These staterooms feature the latest in design and technology, and they're 23% larger than our award-winning Solstice Class veranda staterooms.

Onboard credit available * Per Cabin
Starting from£960

CATEGORY CODEE1
Edge Stateroom w/ Infinite Veranda

Description The most transformational aspect of our stateroom design is the introduction of the Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda, where with the touch of a button, your entire living space becomes the veranda, letting you walk right out to the water's edge. These staterooms feature the latest in design and technology, and they're 23% larger than our award-winning Solstice Class veranda staterooms.

Starting from£978

CATEGORY CODEC3
Concierge Class

Description Exactly what the name implies, you'll enjoy dedicated service from Priority Check-in at the pier to the time you head home. A dedicated concierge is always just steps away from your room to assist with your vacation needs. Attend exclusive events, including a Welcome Aboard Luncheon and Destination Seminar. Then there's the room, the Infinite VerandaSM takes the whole room right to the water's edge.

Starting from£978

CATEGORY CODEC2
Concierge Class

Description Exactly what the name implies, you'll enjoy dedicated service from Priority Check-in at the pier to the time you head home. A dedicated concierge is always just steps away from your room to assist with your vacation needs. Attend exclusive events, including a Welcome Aboard Luncheon and Destination Seminar. Then there's the room, the Infinite VerandaSM takes the whole room right to the water's edge.

Starting from£978

CATEGORY CODEC1
Concierge Class

Starting from£978

CATEGORY CODEX
Veranda Guarantee

Description Veranda Staterooms face aft and include the added luxury of outdoor space to enjoy sweeping ocean panoramas. Located at either end of the ship, the Sunset Veranda and Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda guarantee the best view of breathtaking sunrises and sunsets.

Starting from£1,023

CATEGORY CODEXC
Concierge Guarantee

Starting from£1,068

CATEGORY CODESV
Sunset Veranda Stateroom

Description Veranda Staterooms face aft and include the added luxury of outdoor space to enjoy sweeping ocean panoramas. Located at either end of the ship, the Sunset Veranda and Deluxe Ocean View with Veranda guarantee the best view of breathtaking sunrises and sunsets.

Starting from£1,113

CATEGORY CODEA2
Aqua Class

Description Unlimited access to The Sea Thermal Suite. Dedicated Spa Concierge to make reservations for you - or create a whole spa regimen during your cruise. Delight in a variety of spa-inspired stateroom touches, including: the Bossini shower panel, aromatherapy diffusers, pillow menus, daily deliveries of flavored tea and fresh fruit, and the exclusive eXhale Bedding and Cashmere mattress. Dine at Blu, the exclusive restaurant featuring favorite dishes reimagined with a healthier twist.

Starting from£1,131

CATEGORY CODEXA
Aqua Guarantee

Description Unlimited access to The Sea Thermal Suite. Dedicated Spa Concierge to make reservations for you - or create a whole spa regimen during your cruise. Delight in a variety of spa-inspired stateroom touches, including: the Bossini shower panel, aromatherapy diffusers, pillow menus, daily deliveries of flavored tea and fresh fruit, and the exclusive eXhale Bedding and Cashmere mattress. Dine at Blu, the exclusive restaurant featuring favorite dishes reimagined with a healthier twist.

Starting from£1,221
OCEANVIEW

PLEASE NOTE:Stateroom images and features are samples only. Actual furniture, fixtures, colors, configurations and window/porthole views may vary.

CATEGORY CODE08
Ocean View Stateroom

Description Larger living spaces and expansive views make Ocean View Staterooms the ideal place to unwind at sea. These perfectly indulgent spaces come furnished with Celebrity's eXhaleTM bedding featuring the luxury king-sized Cashmere Mattress and everything else a modern traveler needs.

Starting from£915

CATEGORY CODEY
Ocean View Guarantee

Description Larger living spaces and expansive views make Ocean View Staterooms the ideal place to unwind at sea. These perfectly indulgent spaces come furnished with Celebrity's eXhaleTM bedding featuring the luxury king-sized Cashmere Mattress and everything else a modern traveler needs.

Starting from£933

CATEGORY CODE07
Ocean View Stateroom

Starting from£933

CATEGORY CODE06
Deluxe Ocean View Stateroom

Starting from£969
SUITE

PLEASE NOTE:Stateroom images and features are samples only. Actual furniture, fixtures, colors, configurations and window/porthole views may vary.

CATEGORY CODES3
Sky Suite

Description Perfectly designed Sky Suite offer a blend of expansive views and intimate luxury. These large suites feature a king-sized bed from our signature Cashmere Bedding CollectionSM that faces outward for views of the great outdoors, a sitting area, with a signature Kelly Hoppen wooden rocker, and a spacious, private veranda. The split bathroom features a large spa tub with shower and a sliding panel that allows views to the room and the ocean beyond.

Starting from£2,085

CATEGORY CODES2
Sky Suite

Description Perfectly designed Sky Suite offer a blend of expansive views and intimate luxury. These large suites feature a king-sized bed from our signature Cashmere Bedding CollectionSM that faces outward for views of the great outdoors, a sitting area, with a signature Kelly Hoppen wooden rocker, and a spacious, private veranda. The split bathroom features a large spa tub with shower and a sliding panel that allows views to the room and the ocean beyond.

Starting from£2,094

CATEGORY CODES1
Sky Suite

Starting from£2,121

CATEGORY CODEW
Suite Guarantee

Description Edge Class Suites include indulgent Stateroom Class amenities plus some exclusives, including access to The Retreat Lounge, The Retreat Sundeck, and private dining in Luminae reserved for our Suite Class guests. With a variety of Celebrity Suites featuring different luxurious comforts, you're sure to find a perfect home away from home at sea.

Starting from£2,166

CATEGORY CODECS
Celebrity Suite

Description Spacious two room suites feature a large living and dining area with floor to ceiling panoramic windows. The master bedroom has a king-sized bed and a private veranda. Split bathroom arrangement offers a powder room, a separate spa tub/shower area, and a master dressing area with dual sink and vanity, and a full wardrobe. Celebrity Suites are located close to the Retreat with a private restaurant, exclusive lounge, and a private pool area complete with its own pool bar.

Starting from£4,065

CATEGORY CODEEV
Edge Villas

Description Designed by Kelly Hoppen, MBE, our Edge Villas offer two levels of breathtaking views and erases the boundaries between inside and outside living space. With two stories of windows that look out over the terrace (featuring a three-feet-deep plunge pool and inviting lounge furniture) to the incredible ocean views beyond, it's an open and airy environment that truly invites the outside in, and vice versa. Step right out to The Retreat Sundeck and The Retreat Pool and bar.

Starting from£7,305

CATEGORY CODEIC
Iconic Suite

Description Celebrity Edge introduces our most luxurious and spacious suite in the fleet, our new Iconic Suites. As an Iconic Suite guest, you'll feel like you're on top of the world - literally. Positioned high on top of the ship, above the bridge, the Iconic Suites offer sweeping, panoramic views from front to back. Ther is an expansive outdoor space - where you'll find a private hot tub, stylish furnishings, and a covered, double daybed. Two bedrooms, two baths. Space for six guests.

Starting from£13,578

7NIGHTS
CARIBBEAN - EASTERNDEPARTING FROM FORT LAUDERDALE (PORT EVERGLADES)
Your trip summary
  • Cruise Line Celebrity Cruises
    Ship Celebrity Edge
  • Departing Sun, 12 Jan 2020
    Return Port Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
  • Ports of Call Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) | San Juan, Puerto Rico | Tortola, B.V.I. | Philipsburg, St. Maarten
View Details
Your selection
12 hours ago, Jagggg said:

Thank you  to everyone for explaining this to me. We already booked at 1B  cabin on a June sailing. I'll give a call later today, you never know, maybe they will change the price. What category do I tell them to change it to?

When you booked your 1B cabin you should have gotten the lower price of a 1C if there was a 1C cabin available for sale at that time. Check with your TA or Celebrity (which ever you booked with) and ask them if your price was based on the 1C or 1B fare. If they say on the 1C, then all is fine; if they say 1B, then try to get them to reprice it at the 1C fare - never hurts to ask!