Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruisingguy007

Vista class ships overcrowded?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, 1st said:

Can someone send me a link to check out the different class levels and ships that are under each one? I am sailing on Imagination in January and want to know which class that ship is in. Thank you ahead of time! 

SAIL ON!!!

 

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/4358798/1551907450/redirect/1/filename/Ship Class Guide 030619.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed Vista last year and didn't find it overly crowded at all. Yes, lines will be long at the buffet during peak times, but we find this with every shipped we've sailed. I got a little turned around on Vista because I'm so used to the layout on the other ships, but that's to be expected. Drink service, we didn't notice it being any different than other ships either. We spend a lot of time in the casino and the drink service was excellent! But we do tip well so maybe that helped, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 3:18 AM, cruisingguy007 said:

For anyone who has cruised on a Vista class ship, did you find the Vista class ship(s) to be overcrowded? I keep reading unflattering reviews on this ship class and having booked the Panorama it has me concerned. Overcrowded, poor drink service, and long lines seem to be the biggest complaints. There also seems to be an excessive amount of these particular complaints. Makes me contemplate the value of a CC over an all inclusive if you end up having to pay extra for everything to enjoy a cruise. By the time you factor in upgraded staterooms (in order to be able to get a lounger or swim), upgraded dining choices (to get quality food without lines), premium excursion packages charges booked through cruise line, drink packages etc, is it a better deal to go with a premium cruise line that offers a higher square foot per passenger ratio or seeking out an all inclusive resort? Did you feel the public areas on Vista class ships were too crowded to be enjoyable? 

I feel like the minority, so I haven't said much about it, but I will never go on that ship or its equivalent again. I did find it too crowded. And there were only two small pools. I couldn't even sit in the pool because kids were jumping in and splashing and getting water in my beer. I swore after that cruise I'd never go on that one again. Just got off the Pride yesterday. WAY smaller. Adults only serenity deck. Even though there were almost no children on the boat, the serenity deck never seemed too crowded. And there were TWO other large pools for the kids. One thing I DID miss from the Vista was the IMAX theater and the specialty restaurants. But it was worth the sacrifice to have a ship I actually learned without a map and didn't have kids ruining my vacation because they had no where else to go. Someone told me to book the Havana deck next time. But I don't want to have to pay a premium price to avoid children when I could just find another ship...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, amyj23 said:

I feel like the minority, so I haven't said much about it, but I will never go on that ship or its equivalent again. I did find it too crowded. And there were only two small pools. I couldn't even sit in the pool because kids were jumping in and splashing and getting water in my beer. I swore after that cruise I'd never go on that one again. Just got off the Pride yesterday. WAY smaller. Adults only serenity deck. Even though there were almost no children on the boat, the serenity deck never seemed too crowded. And there were TWO other large pools for the kids. One thing I DID miss from the Vista was the IMAX theater and the specialty restaurants. But it was worth the sacrifice to have a ship I actually learned without a map and didn't have kids ruining my vacation because they had no where else to go. Someone told me to book the Havana deck next time. But I don't want to have to pay a premium price to avoid children when I could just find another ship...

Thanks for sharing. Appreciate the input and honesty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vista is my favorite ship now! Trying to sail on the Horizon next year. We loved all of the stuff to do, and never felt crowded at all, especially the Havanna bar area. Great crew and a great ship! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have sailed on just about every class of ship Carnival has and the Vista class is way more crowded. We have been on both the Vista and the Horizon and have determined that we will not be going back. They added a lot more cabins and made the public areas smaller. How could it not be crowded? The vista class were clearly designed by accountants to maximize passenger count.

Now before you jump on me and say I am just a hater, I am about to Diamond and love Carnival. I have two more cruises booked for January. As an engineer I just don't think the Vista class was designed well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thanna said:

My wife and I have sailed on just about every class of ship Carnival has and the Vista class is way more crowded. We have been on both the Vista and the Horizon and have determined that we will not be going back. They added a lot more cabins and made the public areas smaller. How could it not be crowded? The vista class were clearly designed by accountants to maximize passenger count.

Now before you jump on me and say I am just a hater, I am about to Diamond and love Carnival. I have two more cruises booked for January. As an engineer I just don't think the Vista class was designed well.

 

 

They added a lot more cabins than which ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They added a lot more cabins than which ship?

Then the Dream class. The previous class to the Vista.

The dream class of ship is our favorite. Large enough to have the extras without "jumping the shark".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thanna said:

Then the Dream class. The previous class to the Vista.

The dream class of ship is our favorite. Large enough to have the extras without "jumping the shark".

 

Lol, ok. Less than 300 people in a bigger ship, I did not know accountants designed ships.  For the record, we have sailed 3 Vista class sailings and over 10 Dream class  (another on the Magic in March), and from our view view the Vista and Horizon as no more crowded and many more amenities, but to each their own, thanks for the reply.  

Edited by jimbo5544

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Lol, ok. Less than 300 people in a bigger ship, I did not know accountants designed ships.  For the record, we have sailed 3 Vista class sailings and over 10 Dream class  (another on the Magic in March), and from our view view the Vista and Horizon as no more crowded and many more amenities, but to each their own, thanks for the reply.  

It's really not much bigger though. The Dream class has a ratio of 35.66 tons per person, the Vista has a ratio of 33.93 tons per person, and that's the less packed Vista.

Of course I think "crowdedness" is fairly subject to the person, their past experiences, what parts of the ship their interested in and the dates they sale on. So in the end I think it's possible to both be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CruisingViper said:

It's really not much bigger though. The Dream class has a ratio of 35.66 tons per person, the Vista has a ratio of 33.93 tons per person, and that's the less packed Vista.

Of course I think "crowdedness" is fairly subject to the person, their past experiences, what parts of the ship their interested in and the dates they sale on. So in the end I think it's possible to both be right.

No issue here, just stating my view, all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thanna said:

My wife and I have sailed on just about every class of ship Carnival has and the Vista class is way more crowded. We have been on both the Vista and the Horizon and have determined that we will not be going back. They added a lot more cabins and made the public areas smaller. How could it not be crowded? The vista class were clearly designed by accountants to maximize passenger count.

Now before you jump on me and say I am just a hater, I am about to Diamond and love Carnival. I have two more cruises booked for January. As an engineer I just don't think the Vista class was designed well.

 

 

This is why I asked the original question. I have read numerous reviews on vista class ships here on cruise critic and elsewhere and there were a lot of people who felt the same. Particularly the pool areas and lido deck. This was before one of the pools was made exclusive full time. Vista class ships list the passenger-to-space ratio of only 28 (lowest of all CC ships), while the spirit class ships have a passenger-to-space ratio of 34.

 

I also noticed a difference in staffing numbers. Vista class ships have nearly doubled the passengers of fantasy class ships but staffing was not doubled. The design also seemed strange to me with things being spread out in various areas and also bottle necks. Also shrinking down the water slide deck chair lounger areas vs the layout of aft area on fantasy class ships. Just want to be prepared for what to expect. Guess I'll find out for myself in 58 days! Very excited! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond and provide first hand experience and pros/cons. 

 

Info for ship class: https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

Edited by cruisingguy007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Carnival ships in general are more crowded than ships on other lines like NCL, MSC, Disney, Princess and Celebrity. 

 

Carnival buffet areas are, IMO, the most crowded of any line, so speaking of crowds become relative.

 

Now some Carnival ships are more crowded than others, but the only area on Vista class I found overly dense was the line for the comedy club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 7:48 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Most who claim this have never sailed on the class of ships.  The Vista class are currently our favorite, followed by the Spirit class. We have found the Vista class no more crowded than any other class of ships. 

WE have cruised on the Vista and twice on the Horizon.  I did not feel overcrowded.  Of course the main pool is crowded but we hang out at the serenity deck and on the Horizon we had Havana inside.  The Lido deck buffet is crowded at normal lunch time.  Just plan on earlier or later.  But with the Seaday Brunch there is no problem with crowding.  If you just want a quiet place to read or enjoy a drink, most of the ship has quiet areas no problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I find Carnival ships in general are more crowded than ships on other lines like NCL, MSC, Disney, Princess and Celebrity. 

 

Carnival buffet areas are, IMO, the most crowded of any line, so speaking of crowds become relative.

 

Now some Carnival ships are more crowded than others, but the only area on Vista class I found overly dense was the line for the comedy club.

Lol, dense as in lots of people or their perceived intelligence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USA41018 said:

WE have cruised on the Vista and twice on the Horizon.  I did not feel overcrowded.  Of course the main pool is crowded but we hang out at the serenity deck and on the Horizon we had Havana inside.  The Lido deck buffet is crowded at normal lunch time.  Just plan on earlier or later.  But with the Seaday Brunch there is no problem with crowding.  If you just want a quiet place to read or enjoy a drink, most of the ship has quiet areas no problem

There are always options, of course there are areas where you see crowds (specifically the Lido area), that said perception is key, everyone has their own.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This is why I asked the original question. I have read numerous reviews on vista class ships here on cruise critic and elsewhere and there were a lot of people who felt the same. Particularly the pool areas and lido deck. This was before one of the pools was made exclusive full time. Vista class ships list the passenger-to-space ratio of only 28 (lowest of all CC ships), while the spirit class ships have a passenger-to-space ratio of 34.

 

I also noticed a difference in staffing numbers. Vista class ships have nearly doubled the passengers of fantasy class ships but staffing was not doubled. The design also seemed strange to me with things being spread out in various areas and also bottle necks. Also shrinking down the water slide deck chair lounger areas vs the layout of aft area on fantasy class ships. Just want to be prepared for what to expect. Guess I'll find out for myself in 58 days! Very excited! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond and provide first hand experience and pros/cons. 

 

Info for ship class: https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

 

Actually the Sunshine, Sunrise, and soon to be Radiance have a PSR of 27 which are the lowest in the fleet. No matter though as to me the Vista Class is a "Sunshined" version of the Dream Class. It is virtually the same platform as the Dream Class,  except they added 54 feet in length to the first five decks of the stern to support the Havana Pool area. This is the 3500grt difference between the Vista and Dream classes. Otherwise the platform is the same. Then on the Vista Class they added cabins on deck 3 where the lowest level of the show lounge is on the Dream Class is. Then they added cabins to the aft section of deck 5 where there aren't any on the Dream Class. Beginning to sound familiar? Of course those cabins on deck 5 are the premium Havana cabins, but I'm not begrudging that as it is a good money maker for Carnival. Then they eliminated the atrium. On the Vista and Horizon, the top two decks have cabins where the atrium should be. On the Panorama,  with the elimination of the IMAX theater, the top three decks will have cabins where the atrium would be. All this has brought the PSR of Vista Class ships down to 28. We will sail on the Vista Class for sure in the future but not during "peak" times such as Summer, Spring break, Christmas and New years  when family groups sail the most filling up those third and fourth berths and the ship is at near or full capacity. We will sail during off peak times when the ship may be sailing full but not at full capacity, which can be a 500 passenger difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the moral of my long rambling story is I can see why some people think the Vista Class feels  crowded and some do not is when (peak or non peak) they actually sailed. I experienced the same thing on my Sunrise cruises.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

 

Actually the Sunshine, Sunrise, and soon to be Radiance have a PSR of 27 which are the lowest in the fleet. No matter though as to me the Vista Class is a "Sunshined" version of the Dream Class. It is virtually the same platform as the Dream Class,  except they added 54 feet in length to the first five decks of the stern to support the Havana Pool area. This is the 3500grt difference between the Vista and Dream classes. Otherwise the platform is the same. Then on the Vista Class they added cabins on deck 3 where the lowest level of the show lounge is on the Dream Class is. Then they added cabins to the aft section of deck 5 where there aren't any on the Dream Class. Beginning to sound familiar? Of course those cabins on deck 5 are the premium Havana cabins, but I'm not begrudging that as it is a good money maker for Carnival. Then they eliminated the atrium. On the Vista and Horizon, the top two decks have cabins where the atrium should be. On the Panorama,  with the elimination of the IMAX theater, the top three decks will have cabins where the atrium would be. All this has brought the PSR of Vista Class ships down to 28. We will sail on the Vista Class for sure in the future but not during "peak" times such as Summer, Spring break, Christmas and New years  when family groups sail the most filling up those third and fourth berths and the ship is at near or full capacity. We will sail during off peak times when the ship may be sailing full but not at full capacity, which can be a 500 passenger difference.

Good info and great explanation of the changes with regard to class. Great tip on sailing on off season as well. I will probably do the same and avoid the high seasons when a lot of folks are off school/work. Could really make a big difference in perceived crowdedness. Makes you wonder if this trend of adding more cabins will continue with future classes of ships.Thanks for sharing your insights!    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just returned from the Vista 11/16/19 departure.  There were about 4600 out of a possible 4800 pax on board.  It rarely felt crowded except for special events and only then, if you arrived just before the event started.  Comedy Club was usually full but was not a problem if you arrive 15 minutes early.  This holds true for virtually all events.

 

We had flex time dining and were very pleased with it.  We usually ate around 7:00 PM. The only time the dining room felt crowded was on the first night. We always got our table assignment within a couple of minutes after requesting it on the app.  No overcrowding ever in Horizon dining room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

The price skyrocketed after the announcement of the whole ship within a ship being full time. It was only $100 more per person when I booked. Crazy. I was originally going to book this for our family at a significant savings over my current bookings but I ended up getting more cabins closer together to accommodate everyone. Could have saved $800 (but been separated from travel companions) then but figured me and the Mrs. would just head there after dinner for some quiet R&R. Unfortunately, I spent $800 more and will now have zero access. Not feeling too peachy about that decision at the moment.  

Havana rooms have always sold a premium, I just booked one for someone and the price was not dramatically higher than the last time.   I have read your post twice but cannot figure out the 800 logic.  Whose fault is the not peachy feeling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the need to be joined at the hip twenty four hours a day with your traveling companions.  You're with them virtually all day, every day. Why do you need to have them sleeping right next door?  We have traveled with family as well as several other couples and we intentionally book a cabin away from everyone.  We mostly do our own thing during the day.  Have dinner together in the evening as well as attend shows together, etc.  I don't need to have them next door to us at night.  We sailed on Vista in November with our son and his family.  We had a balcony on 9 and they had a family suite on 2.  We had a lovely time with them but never once did we visit in each other's cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ratios can be deceptive. They don't account for some spaces on the ship like engine and crew headquarters. No matter the ratio, a poorly designed or ill conceived venue like a tiny comedy club doesn't matter. I say that part should just finally move to the main lounge and be done with it.

 

Still, I wouldn't sail these ships in peak season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sailed the Vista twice in 2018, and we have a cruise on Horizon booked for April. The Vista class ships are our favorite now. We went back to the Breeze last year and we felt a difference. It seemed a little more crowded and like there were less activities/things to do. 

The Vista class has great restaurants and it never felt over crowded. The spa is nice and the havana area is fun. We havent stayed in a havana cabim but the bar area is a good place to relax. 

 

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not sailed a Vista class yet, will be on the Panorama in March.  However, as others have said, you will experience lines and some congestion at peak times on Lido deck(pools, buffet, bars, etc).  Sea days everything can get crowded, but that is to be expected. 

I have been to all inclusives where we have had to wait in line to get into a restaurant.  The motto at most seems to be "hurry up and wait". 

Now, we always travel at peak times to due to me being a teacher, so I am sure other times of the year are less crowded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...