Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Since they will only ship to USA, and not any other country, I wonder if it has to do with customs and duty taxes if they ship them out of the USA.  Tracking for my medallion shows the shipment originated in Doral, Florida, not Singapore.  Maybe OCEAN ships them in bulk  from Singapore to Doral and then they get distributed in the U.S. without the need to pay additional tariffs or duty.  Just a guess.  :classic_blink: 

I have read that before on here but IIRC, mine in Nov came from Singapore according to the box label.  Perhaps I read it too hastily.  Anyway, IDK what the big deal is and I did query the customs angle with the Medallion Team.  Their standard line is a phased roll-out.  Well, it has been over a year, so who knows what the hold-up is.  The pre-cruise hotel works for FLL.  Guess I will be OOL come September for our October cruise out of the UK.

We are booked on Regal in April, 2020.  Six of us - 2 cabins, 2 bookings.  I've started setting up Ocean Ready for our booking.  Can the second booking also be set up on the same device or can they be linked in some way?

The objective is for the adults on each booking to be able to access everyone.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:21 PM, CruiseVA said:

This is hilarious, We're sailing on the Regal Princess on Feb 2, 2020. I got our Medallions yesterday, when I looked at the ship name it say's Sky Princess, January 26, 2020. I double-checked the App & that indicates the Regal. LOL!

IMG_20200109_155329.jpg

I have an upcoming cruise on the Sky.  Medallions arrived and everything looks good on the app. THEN today I receive an email asking me to take a short survey about Princess and my upcoming cruise on the Crown.  

I think the techno wizards are at work again.  Sometimes, one should leave well enough alone.  Reminds me of the story of a large corporation's server room.  Inside were a man and a dog. The man was there to feed the dog.  The dog was there to bite the man if he tried to touch anything.

Peace and smooth sailing.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have an upcoming cruise on the Sky.  Medallions arrived and everything looks good on the app. THEN today I receive an email asking me to take a short survey about Princess and my upcoming cruise on the Crown.  

I think the techno wizards are at work again.  Sometimes, one should leave well enough alone.  Reminds me of the story of a large corporation's server room.  Inside were a man and a dog. The man was there to feed the dog.  The dog was there to bite the man if he tried to touch anything.

Peace and smooth sailing.

Hilarious!  I did receive the correct Medallions the other day, I wish I lived in FLL, I'd go over during embarkation and watch them scratch their heads.

@Ombud, I saw your above question about the 73 days. Maybe try checking again soon, as 70 days is usually what they say about when you can start ordering. In terms of Majestic getting Medallion --- so they'll have fully-installed MedallionNet in April 2020 and I tend to estimate they like to take approximately anywhere from a few months to 1+ year(s) in advance before the Medallion system is actually fully installed after MedallionNet is first put on the ship. I don't think it will have the Medallion until sometime in 2021, given that Princess still has a ton of logistics to figure out, including if and when the infrastructure will be completed for delivering outside of the US (like to Australia, for example) and also making sure it can be implemented in foreign languages (Chinese for Majestic, etc.). 

On 1/16/2020 at 7:51 PM, Ombud said:

The cruise is 73 days out and I still cannot order the medallion. When is it generally available?

On two MC cruises (Royal & Sky) last year Medallions were available to order 6 weeks in advance;  this year’s Spring cruises (Royal) were available to order over 5 months in advance.

Last Spring they came from FL; last Fall they came from Singapore.

One of the people going with me on the Sky Princess would like to be able to talk to her husband. It looks like the Medallion app has a chat function, but I looked around and can't find if that would allow direct communication or if that is just the locator function. 

4 hours ago, The Gremlin said:

One of the people going with me on the Sky Princess would like to be able to talk to her husband. It looks like the Medallion app has a chat function, but I looked around and can't find if that would allow direct communication or if that is just the locator function. 

Here’s a short video explaining how the OceanCompass function of MedallionClass can find the location of people on your list, navigate around the ship & can communicate by text with people on your list by using the chat function (no audible notification of a message).

The Princess MC webpage contains information & links to videos to explain the MC system.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

My first MedallionClass™ Cruise is in May, so I’m playing around with the app on my iPad. I really like the idea of being able to view the events schedule once I’m on board, and presumably being able to flag events I’m interested in (like every karaoke session!) But I wondered if there’s been any talk of enhancing the app so that you could add your own personal events, like meeting friends for drinks or onshore reservations that aren’t Princess excursions (I assume purchased Princess excursions will appear in the JourneyView).

Is Princess actively collecting input and suggestions? Maybe just as part of the post-cruise survey? Because there are other features I’d love to see 🙂 

2 hours ago, Mo Jito said:

My first MedallionClass™ Cruise is in May, so I’m playing around with the app on my iPad. I really like the idea of being able to view the events schedule once I’m on board, and presumably being able to flag events I’m interested in (like every karaoke session!) But I wondered if there’s been any talk of enhancing the app so that you could add your own personal events, like meeting friends for drinks or onshore reservations that aren’t Princess excursions (I assume purchased Princess excursions will appear in the JourneyView).

Is Princess actively collecting input and suggestions? Maybe just as part of the post-cruise survey? Because there are other features I’d love to see 🙂 

After you have Ocean Ready completed, you can view the events schedule in Journey View well before your sailing date.  You can flag the events you want to attend once onboard and save them in a personalized Journey View.  You don't need to be onboard to use that app.

3 hours ago, Mo Jito said:

But I wondered if there’s been any talk of enhancing the app so that you could add your own personal events, like meeting friends for drinks or onshore reservations that aren’t Princess excursions (I assume purchased Princess excursions will appear in the JourneyView).

I should think one could do that. Even with the older Princess@Sea I am able to create my own events to show up on my schedule.

21 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I should think one could do that. Even with the older Princess@Sea I am able to create my own events to show up on my schedule.

Okay, I was thinking we were able to do that with Princess@Sea, but I can’t find a way to do it now in the JourneyView. But I am glad to see from Daniel A’s post above that I should be able to see events listed before I get onboard. Right now I do see a nightly dance party and morning suduko challenge listed every day, and if I click on them I can bookmark them. I expect there will be a more complete schedule listed closer to sail date, although I also understand from previous posts that schedules may change and some events won’t be listed ahead of time.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:18 PM, The Gremlin said:

Chat is available, and you can enable 'notification'. This has not always worked for us. There is usually a visible notification, but not always an audio one. However, it is a much improved system to the old one. You can chat with anyone that is a 'shipmate' of yours

Jim😎

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Sorry if this was asked before, but with the medallion instead of a cruise card, how would you know your muster station if you aren't in your stateroom?  (Other than relying on memory...)

The muster station shows on the app under Ocean Profile.  

12 hours ago, t&atravel said:

The muster station shows on the app under Ocean Profile.  

Thanks for the response.  So how does Princess expect thousands of people to get to their muster stations in the event the generators crap out and so does the power to the ship's intranet?  (rhetorical question)

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for the response.  So how does Princess expect thousands of people to get to their muster stations in the event the generators crap out and so does the power to the ship's intranet?  (rhetorical question)

Good question, guess you need to go back to your cabin & look on your door, or, ask your steward?

I think there is still the notice on the back of your door. Also, remember where you went for the drill, and you should be good to go. 
     I would think that if something untoward happens, there will be bunches of people who could access the information from your Medallion enroute. Sorta like they can with the card. 

56 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

Good question, guess you need to go back to your cabin & look on your door, or, ask your steward?

56 minutes ago, The Gremlin said:

I think there is still the notice on the back of your door. Also, remember where you went for the drill, and you should be good to go. 
     I would think that if something untoward happens, there will be bunches of people who could access the information from your Medallion enroute. Sorta like they can with the card. 

10 minutes ago, Darklady said:

You can always save a note on your phone... then you can still access it if the intranet is down as long as your phone has a charge...

Thanks for the responses.  I'm not concerned about me or DW remembering where our muster station is located.  My question is does Princess really expect thousands of PAX (most of whom are seniors) remembering the location of their station during an emergency?  Many don't carry a smart phone and just imagine the lines of PAX asking a crew member where their muster station is?  There has to be room on the Medallion to print the muster station like they did on the cards.