Cruise Critic Community
seaandsea

Help with info about the Edge

We are taking our second cruise on Celebrity, the first on the Edge. (We have done lots of cruising, most on RCCL) I am wondering if someone can fill me in on what I need to know and what I need to do before boarding the ship.

1. What I have read, dinning seems to be different. There are 4 restaurants? If I book early or late dinning, which restaurant will I be in? Will the restaurant change nightly?

2. Dinner on the magic carpet, is that available every night? Can I make reservations before boarding?

3. If we do select dinning can times be reserved before boarding?

4. As for dinning times, are most show times at 7:00 and 9:00? Would like to have the option to see them.

5. We have booked a concierge class cabin, only because the price was right. We are Elite because of all the sailings on RCCL, so I am not sure we will need any of the perks. Is anything offered to concierge class that is not offered to Elite?

6. I noticed there are a few concierge cabins available near what I think is sky suites? They seem to stick out further than other cabins. Just wondering if the cabins right next to them would have an obstructed view. 

7. Has anyone ever rented a cabana by the pool? Is it worth it? I hate fighting for pool chairs, it would be nice to have on a sea day. I like to be in the sun, do we have that option if we are in a cabana?

8. Is there anything else I have not thought of that needs to be done before boarding the ship, (reservations for anything). I would hate to not do everything I could before hand to make the cruise more enjoyable.

Thank you in advance to all you Celebrity experts that can give me any information.

1 minute ago, seaandsea said:

We are taking our second cruise on Celebrity, the first on the Edge. (We have done lots of cruising, most on RCCL) I am wondering if someone can fill me in on what I need to know and what I need to do before boarding the ship.

1. What I have read, dinning seems to be different. There are 4 restaurants? If I book early or late dinning, which restaurant will I be in? Will the restaurant change nightly? I believe that you will be in one of the 4 every night... I am sure someone who knows for sure will respon

2. Dinner on the magic carpet, is that available every night? Not every night, only a few times per cruise.. Can I make reservations before boarding?No, it is a function of weather

3. If we do select dinning can times be reserved before boarding?yes we decided to try each of the 4 restaurants. DH turns out ... prefers sitting in the same restaurant to have the same staff

4. As for dinning times, are most show times at 7:00 and 9:00? Would like to have the option to see them. We did select dinning between 6:15 and 6:45 and then went to the 9:00 shows.

5. We have booked a concierge class cabin, only because the price was right. We are Elite because of all the sailings on RCCL, so I am not sure we will need any of the perks. Is anything offered to concierge class that is not offered to Elite?

6. I noticed there are a few concierge cabins available near what I think is sky suites? They seem to stick out further than other cabins. Just wondering if the cabins right next to them would have an obstructed view. I believe the cabins right next to them are considered 5% obstructed... higher if next to Magic Carpet. The jut out is roughly 4', so will have some impact on view forward or back... the Magic Carpet area sticks out about 10-12' so more of an obstruction.

7. Has anyone ever rented a cabana by the pool? Is it worth it? I hate fighting for pool chairs, it would be nice to have on a sea day. I like to be in the sun, do we have that option if we are in a cabana?

8. Is there anything else I have not thought of that needs to be done before boarding the ship, (reservations for anything). I would hate to not do everything I could before hand to make the cruise more enjoyable. Download the ap... you can have all your check in information available when you board... right on your smart phone

Thank you in advance to all you Celebrity experts that can give me any information. Have fun

I'm going on my first Edge (and Celebrity) cruise in February, but what I have gathered from reading here (sorry - no info on Concierge as that's not my style...I'm more common. 🙂 )

1. What I have read, dinning seems to be different. There are 4 restaurants? If I book early or late dinning, which restaurant will I be in? Will the restaurant change nightly?

If you have a fixed dining time, as I understand it, you will be assigned ONE of the 4 dining rooms. You can request to dine in another and may be allowed on a space-available basis.

2. Dinner on the magic carpet, is that available every night? Can I make reservations before boarding?

As I understand it, it is offered usually once per cruise and can only be booked on board.

3. If we do select dinning can times be reserved before boarding?

Yes. I've got select and have reserved my dining for all nights giving myself a rotation of the dining rooms.

4. As for dinning times, are most show times at 7:00 and 9:00? Would like to have the option to see them.

No clue. Based on what I've seen on their instagram, I'm not stressing it. (I'm a show snob though.)

No clue.

6. I noticed there are a few concierge cabins available near what I think is sky suites? They seem to stick out further than other cabins. Just wondering if the cabins right next to them would have an obstructed view. 

No clue.

I don't think the cabanas are by the pool. And most people don't like them on Edge because they are right next to a public walkway.

8. Is there anything else I have not thought of that needs to be done before boarding the ship, (reservations for anything). I would hate to not do everything I could before hand to make the cruise more enjoyable.

Excursions, ship tours, spa experiences, fitness classes...

Thank you in advance to all you Celebrity experts that can give me any information.

Lots of questions about dining answered here:

Choosing an Infinite Veranda and an explanation of concierge benefits here. Being next to a bump out will obstruct your view a bit to one side - most try to avoid, but if the best choice available, it is not a deal breaker, IMO. Scroll down for the Aqua/Concierge benefits chart PDF.

Has anyone ever rented a cabana by the pool? Is it worth it? I hate fighting for pool chairs, it would be nice to have on a sea day. I like to be in the sun, do we have that option if we are in a cabana?

I have rented one and liked it,  but it is on a walkway so not private. If you think of it as having comfortable seating with table near the pool (yes, it is near the pool, but you aren't looking at the pool), then it is worth it. We had shade earlier in the day, with more sun as the day went on. The cabana butler will pamper you with drinks and food, cool wash cloths, etc. We had a great day and have booked one for the Apex in April. One thing to consider: the full one seems big for 2 people and the 1/2 one seems too small. We ended up with a full one last time and rented a full one again.

Full Cabana:

image.thumb.png.4887e3f9463495a7fc437898c61eecd7.png

Half Cabanas:

image.png.55de3bce0a47ccad3d09ab25c0e9bad3.png

image.thumb.png.a5ad029daa324c3b10d3d777570cab91.png

image.png.4de895366435f5c37df20df953d08130.png

Edited by vtcruising