Malaria concern?

cdoobiest

a good covering of DEET will assist.  If you are on the beach during the heat of the day, its a reduced probability as mosquitos come out more toward sunset. But DEET helps for other insects like sand flies.  If up toward OakRidge or Jonesville in the mangroves, you'll definitely need DEET. 

Obviously using DEET at all ports of call is a good idea, especially if your cologne or perfume or body spray attracts insects.

• 1 month later...

The CDC lists a lot of diseases as concerns for most cruise ports. I don't think very many passengers take preventative medication.

I'd talk to your doctor and get a recommendation. I talked to mine and we concluded I didn't need to take anything or get any additional vaccinations. But I am up to date on my routine vaccinations, don't plan on getting pregnant, am not immuno-compromised in any way, and am generally healthy. Each person will have a different situation and a medical professional would give the best advice.

• Like 1

There's different types of malaria so I was told the proactive medicine may be a waste of time but that was around 2013. I got Malaria in Palawan in the Philippines and it's rare in most areas besides Africa.