Cruise Critic Community
ivyleaguegent

Oceania Sirena

Back in the only Harmony days - sure things were different but the crew and how they interact and treat the passengers is the same great way as they do today.  Great food - some of which was prepared at your table for you - miss that.  Dress code sure was different but it was everywhere back then.  "All inclusive" may be great but in the end we all pay for all that still - it is in the fares although those who don't drink are paying for those who do.  Sure many of the shows may have run too long but I enjoyed them in general more than some of the ones we saw this year.

I'm surprised that many cruise lines still use and get away with the 2 for 1 fare joke.

I get a lot of brochures from O and their cruises and offers look appealing but from what I see on these boards I think Crystal suits us better.  I don't think anyone can provide a better overall experience than Crystal

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

At the risk of being accused of marketing or offending someone

I am not sure  what Crystal's single supplement is or if  it is on all cruises  but Oceania  does offer some cruises  with 50% or less  SS on certain cruise & certain cabin categories

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/single-supplement/

They may not offer all the things Crystal does but if the itinerary works for you might be worth it

At one time, and not that many years ago, Crystal's Single Supplement was a flat 25% on virtually every itinerary and I think that was what Jayayeff was referring to. Today it is on a sliding scale and not offered on every itinerary, similar to the way O does it. Still quite "generous" in comparison to most other lines where it is a flat 100% across the board.

Ok, been on a day and a half now. I do intend to post a fuller review after we return but so far very impressed. Much younger and livelier passengers who stay up later to party. Avenue saloon packed both nights with singing and dancing crowd. 3 other venues with people in to beyond midnight. On O I was often the only passenger prowling the ship after 10.00😁

Not having to show room cards to get a drink is a bonus and waiters top up drinks readily - not something that occurs on O. 

Enrichment is fab, never been so busy as I was yesterday. 

1st port day today, not getting off, will see what happens but so far......

BEST CRUISE EVER!

4 minutes ago, beardedshark said:

Not having to show room cards to get a drink is a bonus and waiters top up drinks readily - not something that occurs on O. 

Could have something to do with O not being  semi inclusive 🙄

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes, that’s a fact

Nancy

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you do have a full beverage package on O , some bartenders or waiters are imposing doubles ...probably for the gratuity?

Maybe poaring measures are small on O, however at 11 am I am not in the mood to have double wodka in a Bloody mary.

3 minutes ago, vistaman said:

If you do have a full beverage package on O , some bartenders or waiters are imposing doubles ...probably for the gratuity?

Maybe poaring measures are small on O, however at 11 am I am not in the mood to have double wodka in a Bloody mary.

just tell them to go light on vodka 😉

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, Roland4 said:

Crystal was still a more "traditional" line in 2003, with two fixed dinner seatings, three dress codes (Formal/Informal/Casual) and on Formal nights, as someone once described it, "80% of the men will be in Tuxes, which they own".  It was also only partially inclusive after Serenity entered the fleet in July, with all non-alcoholic beverages included, but wine/beer/spirits a la carte. Shows, lectures and activities same/similar to today, they are still running a couple of the production shows to this day. The service was excellent, just as it is today, which makes sense since most of the staff in 2003 are still with Crystal to this day!

Crystal really should atttract a few "new" and younger entertainers , some of those are there since 2002 - my very first cruise on Crystal doing nearly the same act  - even one doing the very same as on the defunct Royal Viking Line .

13 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

just tell them to go light on vodka 😉

I am only cruising on O eventually for the Caribbean at a special - for sure never in Europe ...

My next Caribbean however is on the Crystal Serenity in November 2020

6 minutes ago, vistaman said:

Crystal really should atttract a few "new" and younger entertainers , some of those are there since 2002 - my very first cruise on Crystal doing nearly the same act  - even one doing the very same as on the defunct Royal Viking Line .

As as a matter of fact, crystal has attracted quite a few new and younger entertainers in the past couple of years.

Nancy

12 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Just want to note that it was in 2003 that they included items such as water and soda in the cruise fare.  It was our second cruise and back then our son was still drinking soda so my shipboard account got a break from the sodas he was consuming.

Keith, I just found a file of things from my first Crystal cruise in the early 90's, including the onboard settlement receipt.  I was a minor at the time, and aside from laundry and shore excursions, it was two weeks worth of soft drink charges from all over Harmony.  I can relate to your comment -- they were all settled to my father's AmEx at the bottom.  lol

My first Crystal cruise knocked my socks off -- even coming from other premium lines...  But there is very little I want to go back in time and grab from Crystal circa 1990-2004.  I'm generally grateful for the ways Crystal has evolved, and take the couple of small lumps with the vast improvements.

Vince

14 minutes ago, vistaman said:

Just seconding Nancy's comment...  I've seen them either bringing in or trying a lot of newer things with entertainers lately, which I appreciate.  I was in the same camp as you for a while.

Now if we could just get a little more diversity among the lecturers.

Vince

4 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Just seconding Nancy's comment...  I've seen them either bringing in or trying a lot of newer things with entertainers lately, which I appreciate.  I was in the same camp as you for a while.

Vince

I noticed some new people as well in September on Serenity , however - may i give one example : there was one singer trying to to a not so very easy song - that person i will not specify further -  had not one crack but a few because the voice was not allowing to sing the piece  anymore - it was not a cold or similar….simply age and too many performances  

ok we are on a  cruise ship  not in the "Met" however that is not pleasant not for the artist neither for the audience

52 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Keith, I just found a file of things from my first Crystal cruise in the early 90's, including the onboard settlement receipt.  I was a minor at the time, and aside from laundry and shore excursions, it was two weeks worth of soft drink charges from all over Harmony.  I can relate to your comment -- they were all settled to my father's AmEx at the bottom.  lol

My first Crystal cruise knocked my socks off -- even coming from other premium lines...  But there is very little I want to go back in time and grab from Crystal circa 1990-2004.  I'm generally grateful for the ways Crystal has evolved, and take the couple of small lumps with the vast improvements.

Vince

Vince, you are so good about saving items from the past cruises.  I had saved so much but have started to pitch some items.  I wish I saved some more from our first Harmony cruise.  I do still have a couple of items from when I took my first cruise at age 12.  I do have most of the Reflections.  Now if I began cruising today it would be far easier as so much can be stored as soft copies.  It is always fun to look back at items.  I have menus from when Anne Marie and I dated and love to look at the prices.  I know inflation but it's funny to see the prices. 

Earlier this year while we were on Serenity I started to write down many of the changes since we started to cruise Crystal.  I keep adding to the list.  Now I am updating it with recent changes.  I hope to post it sometime in the next couple of months. 

Vince, I do think of the changes similarly to you.  Like you,  I think of is as an evolution and overall I am very happy how it has evolved and at time truly amazed how it has been implemented.  It would be far easier to have implemented some of the changes on new ships yet Crystal has figured out to implement them on existing ships which speaks so highly to the expertise of the ship based and land based Crystal personnel.

Keith

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Now if we could just get a little more diversity among the lecturers

Amen to that - I do wonder if they realise they have an issue?

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Totally agree!  Thanks

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

I noticed some new people as well in September on Serenity , however - may i give one example : there was one singer trying to to a not so very easy song - that person i will not specify further -  had not one crack but a few because the voice was not allowing to sing the piece  anymore - it was not a cold or similar….simply age and too many performances  

ok we are on a  cruise ship  not in the "Met" however that is not pleasant not for the artist neither for the audience

I totally agree...  There are still some in Crystal's cache that have been there a little too long, and that's a good example.  Based on my last couple of cruises they at least seem to be starting a refresh process, even if they are just on the front end of it.

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Amen to that - I do wonder if they realise they have an issue?

Based on some comments I've received in the past when I've suggested this, I have a feeling Crystal is receiving mixed messaging on this.  So while I think they _see_ the issue, at the same time they're still receiving a lot of positive reinforcement for the status quo.  I think it might help to talk this up a little when talking with contacts in Crystal's management and surveys.  Just my two cents...

Vince

5 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I totally agree...  There are still some in Crystal's cache that have been there a little too long, and that's a good example.  Based on my last couple of cruises they at least seem to be starting a refresh process, even if they are just on the front end of it.

Based on some comments I've received in the past when I've suggested this, I have a feeling Crystal is receiving mixed messaging on this.  So while I think they _see_ the issue, at the same time they're still receiving a lot of positive reinforcement for the status quo.  I think it might help to talk this up a little when talking with contacts in Crystal's management and surveys.  Just my two cents...

Vince

Interesting point Vince.  Makes me wonder if the Supper Club is, partly, Crystal's way of trying to thread the needle on this?  A night (or two) of high quality nostalgia while refreshing the show lounge acts.

(And yes, only on Serenity for now.)

8 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Interesting point Vince.  Makes me wonder if the Supper Club is, partly, Crystal's way of trying to thread the needle on this?  A night (or two) of high quality nostalgia while refreshing the show lounge acts.

I thought Vince was referring to the Speaker roster?

I don’t think the Supper Club was implemented to placate guests While other shows and entertainment were changing at all - it’s just part of the refresh of Entertainment Keith Cox is overseeing

It is very unlikely to be on Symphony as there is no similar venue available that could accommodate it 

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I thought Vince was referring to the Speaker roster?

I don’t think the Supper Club was implemented to placate guests While other shows and entertainment were changing at all - it’s just part of the refresh of Entertainment Keith Cox is overseeing

It is very unlikely to be on Symphony as there is no similar venue available that could accommodate it 

Yeah, you have me.  I quoted his comment about speakers, rather than the one above that, which was about entertainers.

And yes, the Symphony we will not accommodate such a revue.  Which is why I did not suggest it.

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Interesting thought.

I think the Supper Club was two fold.  One was simply to reduce volume at Waterside on BTO nights because without another venue Serenity wouldn't be able to accommodate all of the guests who wanted to dine there at peak hours.

In terms of the theme I guess they could have gone with a more contemporary theme although I think the Supper Club has appeal for multi-generations of cruisers.  Old things seem to reappear.  Even LP's are making a comeback.  :classic_biggrin:

Keith

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Vince, you are so good about saving items from the past cruises.  I had saved so much but have started to pitch some items.  I wish I saved some more from our first Harmony cruise.  I do still have a couple of items from when I took my first cruise at age 12.  I do have most of the Reflections.  Now if I began cruising today it would be far easier as so much can be stored as soft copies.  It is always fun to look back at items.  I have menus from when Anne Marie and I dated and love to look at the prices.  I know inflation but it's funny to see the prices. 

Earlier this year while we were on Serenity I started to write down many of the changes since we started to cruise Crystal.  I keep adding to the list.  Now I am updating it with recent changes.  I hope to post it sometime in the next couple of months. 

Vince, I do think of the changes similarly to you.  Like you,  I think of is as an evolution and overall I am very happy how it has evolved and at time truly amazed how it has been implemented.  It would be far easier to have implemented some of the changes on new ships yet Crystal has figured out to implement them on existing ships which speaks so highly to the expertise of the ship based and land based Crystal personnel.

Keith

Since I started in 1983 I kept a lot of memorabilia as well - my very first on Fred Olsen where Dutch people were drinking egg liquor as aperitive and Matteus Rosé. When I am looking back to my oldest on Cunard in 1990 I am feeling sorry I did not drink more super great wines in those days. One of the headwaiters on Serenity use to be chief sommelier on the Vistafjord in that period and the most expensive bottle was a Château Latour at some 125 $ . On my very first Royal Viking Sun in 1993  - my salary increased :classic_biggrin: and still have the menu's - i even had Mouton  and Cheval Blanc for less as 100 $

Some luxury items especially great wines  did reach supersonic prices ...proven by cruise memorabilia  :classic_ohmy:

It is interesting to me how many people on this board have been doing Crystal since the early Harmony days.  If that isn't a reflection on how great an experience it is I don't know what would be.

We just arrived in Cozumel this morning. These two pictures are posted especially for any Oceania cruisers. 😉

Rob

Insignia 01.JPG

Insignia 02.JPG

Very interesting topic.  We are avid Crystal cruisers (18 cruises) and just came back from an Oceania cruise on the Marina. This is our second Oceania cruise, we went to Cuba on the Sirena.  The Sirena is an awful ship.  Very small rooms, tiny bathrooms and only two specialty restaurants.  The food was good , the entertainment non existent, the crew attitude was fair and we chose  the Sirena because it was the only ship that was doing a 7 day cruise to only Cuba. (Can't do this trip anymore, thanks to Donald)

We chose the Marina because we heard very good things about it, it was cruising Rome to Monte Carlo when we desired and we heard raves from friends about the Marina. Am about to post on the Oceania page our review of our cruise and needless to say, we already made our 19th reservation on Crystal for next summer.

The Marina is a modern ship with large cabins, nice verandas and very large bathrooms.  The room stewardess was excellent but there it all stopped.  The attitude of the crew, officers and personnel was 'off"  The dining staff was below average in attitude and service.  The specialty restaurants were very good but the main dining room, the food was fair, the service terrible.

We had a nice time but everything we saw, experienced and took part in we compared to Crystal.  The cost was a bit cheaper than Crystal but the difference in comfort, hospitality, attitude of personnel is night and day.

In dealing with problems, the front desk or the shore excursion reservations, could care less.

We had 2 bad experiences in the main dining room with wait staff and supervisors that we explain in detail in our Oceania post.  We long for the 8:15 seating on Crystal, having the same wait staff who remember everything we order and need and maitre'd who will satisfy any wants and needs.  Where is Remy when we needed him.

The Marina was nice, glad we tried it but we now know that "there is no place like home"  We are Crystalized all over again.