10 straight days at sea

I just looked today for some reason at cruises in 2021. Never booked a cruise so far out, but must be something that happens when you get older. Anyway, found a TA cruise on Rhapsody in April 2021 leaving Tampa and not porting until 10 straight days at sea in Ibiza Spain. Seems kind of extreme, but I booked a refundable reservation. Is this a record amount of straight sea days for a Royal sailing?

Edited by coaster

We're doing Allure TA next year and have 9 straight days at sea.  We love the TAs as feel much more relaxed and just love staring at the ocean and chilling.

We did a 22 night from LA to Sydney a few years back and was our second cruise - I struggled with 5 days straight at sea but not any more as TAs are my favorite now.  I'm sure you'll love it.

10 minutes ago, normannna said:

We're doing Allure TA next year and have 9 straight days at sea.  We love the TAs as feel much more relaxed and just love staring at the ocean and chilling.

We did a 22 night from LA to Sydney a few years back and was our second cruise - I struggled with 5 days straight at sea but not any more as TAs are my favorite now.  I'm sure you'll love it.

You are scheduled for 9 so 10 is not so extreme. Never done a TA, but it has been more of a thought the longer I cruise. I am low maintenance also and can sit for hours on the promenade deck.

Edited by coaster

I think when on a mega ships (Oasis Class) TA the 9-10 days is fine as there is so much to do but on the Vision/Radiance Class....not sure...the most we have ever done on that class was 6 days and it was great to finally reach a port. We love TA cruises but on the smaller ships its better to have more ports.

15 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

As the OP didn’t ask whether any of us would book that many day at sea, does anyone actually know the answer to the question that was posed, is this a record for Royal Caribbean?

we have done 21 Transatlantics and the most continuous days at sea we have had have been 8 . 

Back in the haydays of cruising the Pacific, before Royal Caribbean, 1942-1945,  my dad did 33 straight sea days going from San Francisco to the Philippines.  Not a lot of onboard entertainment back then, mostly inside cabins.  Disembarkation was done via landing craft, including wading ashore with all your luggage, no porters, no tipping.

Edited by mugtech

Can't actually say if it's a record or not.  But we did 7 days during a TA in 2012 and they told us then that 7 days was the longest number of at sea days at  the time.  Apparently that has changed.  10 is the longest I've ever heard of for a Royal Caribbean ship.  I would think it's pretty close to a record number for "scheduled" days at sea.  

Edited by papaflamingo
11 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Don't think I could handle 10 straight days with no ports at all.   I'm not in need of THAT much "relaxation"...especially at the prices they charge!

We love cruising but for us part of the attraction is getting off the ship in different places.  I can't imagine that I could do 10 straight sea days.  I get antsy with more than two.

In the Navy, we sometimes spent 45-60 days at sea.  On a small destroyer with canvas racks for sleeping.  10 days on a giant cruise ship with good food and drinks available as well as loungers and pools and entertainment, that's like heaven sent.:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Back in the haydays of cruising the Pacific, before Royal Caribbean, 1942-1945,  my dad did 33 straight sea days going from San Francisco to the Philippines.  Not a lot of onboard entertainment back then, mostly inside cabins.  Disembarkation was done via landing craft, including wading ashore with all your luggage, no porters, no tipping.

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

As for continuous days at sea

One trip missed the 1st stop because of a storm so we had 3 full days at sea in a row.

That was the longest span we have done

It did start to get a little boring. 

I would not make it on a Trans/Atlantic   

In case anyone is interested..

Saturday, April 10    Tampa, FL        4:00pm
Sunday, April 11    At Sea        
Monday, April 12    At Sea        
Tuesday, April 13    At Sea        
Wednesday, April 14    At Sea        
Thursday, April 15    At Sea        
Friday, April 16    At Sea        
Saturday, April 17    At Sea        
Sunday, April 18    At Sea        
Monday, April 19    At Sea        
Tuesday, April 20    At Sea        
Wednesday, April 21    Ibiza, Spain    7:00am    9:00pm
Thursday, April 22    At Sea        
Friday, April 23    Naples, Italy    7:00am    6:00pm
Saturday, April 24    Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy    6:00am    

You miss the boat in Tampa and game over! There wouldn't be much to catch up to.

The intinerary is what it is and the deal is done, but couldn't they have done CocoCay, Bermuda, Madeira, Morocco, Cadiz, something to shorten that stretch of sea days or break things up better? I'm sure there's a demographic out there who will respond favorably to this intensive at-sea trip. It's possible the market drops off after 14 nights and RC was looking to get the ship from Tampa to Europe as quickly as possible without chewing up any more time.

45 minutes ago, coaster said:

In case anyone is interested..

Saturday, April 10    Tampa, FL        4:00pm
Sunday, April 11    At Sea        
Monday, April 12    At Sea        
Tuesday, April 13    At Sea        
Wednesday, April 14    At Sea        
Thursday, April 15    At Sea        
Friday, April 16    At Sea        
Saturday, April 17    At Sea        
Sunday, April 18    At Sea        
Monday, April 19    At Sea        
Tuesday, April 20    At Sea        
Wednesday, April 21    Ibiza, Spain    7:00am    9:00pm
Thursday, April 22    At Sea        
Friday, April 23    Naples, Italy    7:00am    6:00pm
Saturday, April 24    Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy    6:00am    

If I was on that trip

I would probably fake a Heart attack on April 14 to get life flighted off....

7 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

10 days?  I would wonder about the condition/quality of the food after so many days at sea.  And heaven forbid they run out of liquor!

Most food is loaded at embarkation.  Even for 12+ night cruises.

They do have these things called refrigerators and freezers. 🙂