HAL muster drills

DMorris

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

It's announced in general perhaps an hour before the drill starts, and there a detailed introduction to the details of each stage as it is called. 

I don't where I have been but I have never heard such an announcement, ever. Do they do this on every ship?

Just did two muster drills on the Nieuw Statendam. Pretty terrible / dangerous experiences. Just one of the reasons that I will not go on that ship again.

1) go to you room and wait for announcement.

2) with announcement proceeded to your muster station. Not easily identified but with some research I found out it was in the back corner of the MDR. NOT like your life boat stations, easy to find.

3) proceed down the stairs to your muster station. Yes elevators are not to be used. Just like an emergency.

4) check in and sit down and wait, with a crowd of hundreds

Ok , the problem from deck 8 a couple of hundred over weight, out of shape and physically disabled passengers walk down the stairs. (took a long time) Everybody from the stern, same staircase. Sure, nice and polite for the drill. In an emergency a nightmare. you might be able to get an exemption for the drill, but not for an emergency.

21 minutes ago, rhblake said:

I don't where I have been but I have never heard such an announcement, ever. Do they do this on every ship?

Yes. Whether you muster indoors (two newest ships) or on deck, you're supposed to follow this procedure. IIRC, it's explained on the safety video in your cabin.

I agree with aa7yy that it can be difficult to find your muster station. Midships on the K it was in the atrium, with only a portable sign that wasn't put out until the drill, so I couldn't look for my muster station in advance, which I like to do.

IMG_20190123_160225096.jpg

45 minutes ago, rhblake said:

I have never heard of this 3 stage process before. Is it announced during the drill and if not when?

I suspect the three stage process has been in existence on HAL for some time.

We had "stage 1" on the Zuiderdam about ten years ago when there was a fire somewhere on the ship.

We were woken up about 3 AM with in cabin announcements that all crew were to go to muster stations. Passengers were to stay awake in their cabins and await further announcements from the bridge.

That was a perfect storm start to the cruise. Boarding was first delayed due to a deep cleaning and boarding did not start until 8 PM and finished at midnight. (HAL did a great job of arranging comfortable options at the local convention center for the afternoon and evening). No muster drill was held before departure.

Then the 3 AM wake up call....

Going back a number of years, HAL's muster drill also included the lowering of a number of the lifeboats on order from the captain as we stood and watched on the promenade deck at our respective stations.  To me, this drove home the seriousness of the drill and sent shivers up my spine as the boats were lowered into the loading position.  I'll take the "inconvenient" HAL drill any day over the sit in a crowded lounge with people talking so you can't hear the video be played and leaving no better informed than before..

28 minutes ago, lambcom said:

Going back a number of years, HAL's muster drill also included the lowering of a number of the lifeboats on order from the captain as we stood and watched on the promenade deck at our respective stations.  To me, this drove home the seriousness of the drill and sent shivers up my spine as the boats were lowered into the loading position.  I'll take the "inconvenient" HAL drill any day over the sit in a crowded lounge with people talking so you can't hear the video be played and leaving no better informed than before..

I've never seen a video played at a muster station. It's usually already on the TV in my cabin when I arrive.

Regarding post #27:

There are a select few elevators operating that allow for folks with mobility issues to get to their deck for the muster drill. The slow walkers should have been directed towards them. My husband needed to use a transport chair during our July Amsterdam cruise and we were directed towards the elevators that worked for mobility issue passengers.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've never seen a video played at a muster station. It's usually already on the TV in my cabin when I arrive.

That's how it was on the Koningsdam. The muster station for us was in the dining room and staff directed passengers to their corners. I have been a  different ship of about the same size as the Koningsdam (different line) where the muster station  was in a crowded public space with limited seating and the video was playing right there. I thought that the Koningsdam did an excellent job. There was nothing dangerous about it.