Royal Caribbean extension cord restrictions

SimGuy

From the RCI website - note the bold and underlined item referencing extension cords.  It does not differentiate between surge or non-surge protected types:

Prohibited items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • CBD Oil / CBD Products
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Exceptions can be made for the following sporting goods; however, the item must be stored in the guest’s stateroom and cannot be used onboard.

• Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, and Golf clubs
  • Skateboards, Surfboards, and Bicycles

Maybe

If security sees it, they will inspect it. If the person who inspects determines it's safe, then maybe.

If the person who sees it, doesn't determine its safe. it will be confiscated.

However, as noted above, it is a restricted item.

Edited by klfrodo

6 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I was recently on the Voyager OTS, and had an extension cord in my CPAP bag. It went through with no problem. I don’t know if boarding in Singapore made a difference.

Typically if you contact guest services in advance (or once you board) with a request to furnish one for a CPAP the cruise line will have it waiting in your stateroom.  Perhaps since you had a CPAP and the cord with you at boarding they did not flag the extension cord, realizing that one is necessary for the CPAP.  That would be an exception, although the cruise line would prefer to furnish it for you relative to the surge protection concerns. City of boarding has no bearing on the restriction, however.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

25 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Typically if you contact guest services in advance (or once you board) with a request to furnish one for a CPAP the cruise line will have it waiting in your stateroom.  Perhaps since you had a CPAP and the cord with you at boarding they did not flag the extension cord, realizing that one is necessary for the CPAP.  That would be an exception, although the cruise line would prefer to furnish it for you relative to the surge protection concerns. City of boarding has no bearing on the restriction, however.

I had contacted special needs before the cruise about having a CPAP, but nothing was in cabin when I arrived.

Since my cord made it on board, I told my steward I just needed the distilled water. Last year on my Serenade cruises, the steward already had the cord all set up and arranged behind the sofa, and water was waiting. The reason I mentioned the port, is some seem to be more restrictive than others.

On Carnival Europe sailings, they have no issue with bringing on alcohol at debarkation or ports of call. Go figure.

12 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

The reason I mentioned the port, is some seem to be more restrictive than others.

The port check in personnel and security staff are not cruise line employees, so the consistency of rules enforcement certainly can vary.  But the restrictions in terms of what can or cannot be brought on board doesn't vary by port. The security and luggage screening on board, however, is done by ship staff which should be where non approved items would ultimately be flagged if not during boarding.

Extension cords required for CPAP devices are not typically flagged. Special needs staff response I guess vary from ship to ship, but typically CPAP requirements are understood and usually met with prompt support.

Clearly you know the drill with the CPAP concerns....🙂

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I always carry some for fans.  Before early this year there was never an issue in 30 cruises.  Then I was called to the “naughty room” and told to remove them, which I did.  Our room steward brought us some but they were very large and long.  They gave them back at the end of the trip.  Then in October we did B2B and nothing was said at all.