Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
victory2020

AMEX OFFER till DECEMBER 31, 2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Usually it's not on the branded cards such as Macy's or airline/hotel cards.

 

I don't think the Macy's card is even accessed thru the normal AMEX site. And yeah, it does not usually show up for the airline/hotel cards since I guess it's a competitor (even though it isn't really).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Actually on mine I have to click benefits which takes you to offers, which is then pretty obvious

 

I noticed on the account home page it's listed under AMEX Offers and Benefits. so we're both right :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dshuns said:

For those of you who have added the AMEX offer, has anyone tried making a $500 purchase through Celebrity's online Cruise Planner to see whether you receive a confirmation email from AMEX that the offer has been redeemed? 

 

I realize that the fine print says that it's only valid for cruise reservations, but the World's Leading Cruise Lines (WLCL) offer through AMEX, which lists similar restrictions, still works with Princess when purchasing OBC.

 

It really depends on how the charge posts. With the WLCL offer, it works with HAL but does not with Carnival because it posts as the "Fun Shop" or something similar. You could always try buying the minimum amount of OBC with Celebrity and see how it posts. I haven't checked the fine print but these offers are generally valid for one or more purchases, so you don't have to spend the $500 at one time. I used it on HAL to pad my payment to get to $500 and get the rebate on one card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about AMEX points is you can transfer them 1/1 miles on Delta.  The miles are worth more than $150. I frequently get round trip tickets for 14500- 16000 miles which would cost $225-$240.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Canadians have any luck with this? I logged on to our banking to see if i could find reference to this and nothing. We have the AMEX gold card through our bank. How are people loading offers? (maybe just applicable to Americans?)

Put our deposit for cruise on AMEX and will soon pay the remainder.

 

Thanks for any advice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

This stinks, I just made final payment on another card yesterday.

Rather than passing up on this Amex offer, you can always book another refundable cruise under Black Friday sale. No risk since your booking will be refundable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Rather than passing up on this Amex offer, you can always book another refundable cruise under Black Friday sale. No risk since your booking will be refundable.

 

Except that if you cancel the cruise and get a refund to the same card, AMEX is likely to take the $150 back. I'd wait to hear if buying OBC works for someone. That's easy enough to use or just refund to a different card if you have some left at the end of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSKC said:

Any Canadians have any luck with this? I logged on to our banking to see if i could find reference to this and nothing. We have the AMEX gold card through our bank. How are people loading offers? (maybe just applicable to Americans?)

Put our deposit for cruise on AMEX and will soon pay the remainder.

 

Thanks for any advice.

 

 

Do you have AMEX Offers in Canada? Do you login to the American Express site or your bank's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

I don't think the Macy's card is even accessed thru the normal AMEX site. And yeah, it does not usually show up for the airline/hotel cards since I guess it's a competitor (even though it isn't really).

A couple of years ago someone posted a back way into the offers & I was able to add it to my Macy's Amex. Have not been able to do it since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

I have the Hilton AMX card and have 100 offers and Celebrity is not one of the cash back offers 😞

 

 

You're not going to get travel offers on your Hilton card. That card and Delta do not get offers from other travel companies. Need to get something like a Blue Cash (which has no fee). Of course there is no guarantee that if you got one now that you'd have the offer on it.

Edited by MisterBill99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

You're not going to get travel offers on your Hilton card. That card and Delta do not get offers from other travel companies. Need to get something like a Blue Cash (which has no fee). Of course there is no guarantee that if you got one now that you'd have the offer on it.

One AMX card is more than enough.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

A couple of years ago someone posted a back way into the offers & I was able to add it to my Macy's Amex. Have not been able to do it since.

 

There is a site to get offers on cards not issued by AMEX but I don't see any cruise offers there at the moment. 

 

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/network/shopping.html#all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

One AMX card is more than enough.  Thanks

 

Not if it doesn't get you good offers. But that's your choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

You're not going to get travel offers on your Hilton card. That card and Delta do not get offers from other travel companies. Need to get something like a Blue Cash (which has no fee). Of course there is no guarantee that if you got one now that you'd have the offer on it.

 

Not true.  I got this offer previously on my Delta AmEx.  Just not getting it this time.  Probably only once per card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

It really depends on how the charge posts. With the WLCL offer, it works with HAL but does not with Carnival because it posts as the "Fun Shop" or something similar. You could always try buying the minimum amount of OBC with Celebrity and see how it posts. I haven't checked the fine print but these offers are generally valid for one or more purchases, so you don't have to spend the $500 at one time. I used it on HAL to pad my payment to get to $500 and get the rebate on one card.

 

I've had good luck calling AMEX when a charge doesn't "code" right to meet an offer.  They were / are running an offer of $25 off each of two $50+ purchases online from Instacart, which I use.  I didn't get the credit because Safeway bought them out and the charge now codes as Safeway (but still has "Instacart" in the details).  Quick phone call sorted that out.

Edited by mk-ultra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t show up in my offers, maybe because I’m in the UK 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadians: where do you even go to see/load offers or is this something just for Americans? i've went on the card site as well as our banking site and see where i can transfer my earned points towards things but nowhere to see special offers/load offers on to card. HELP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 2:17 AM, MisterBill99 said:

 

No, it will not. You MIGHT be able to buy $500 of OBC prior to the cruise. That works on some cruise lines but I'm not sure about Celebrity (depends on how the charge posts and if it looks the same as a cruise payment). Worst case you'll get back anything you don't spend when you're on the ship. Just don't use your AMEX card with the offer for your onboard card because if AMEX sees a credit come back, they'll take back the $150.

 

thx.

going to buy $500 worth of casino OBC. celebrity usually gives a +10% bonus if you pre-buy before the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fstuff1 said:

 

thx.

going to buy $500 worth of casino OBC. celebrity usually gives a +10% bonus if you pre-buy before the cruise.

 

Please be sure to post if it triggers the offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

 

I've had good luck calling AMEX when a charge doesn't "code" right to meet an offer.  They were / are running an offer of $25 off each of two $50+ purchases online from Instacart, which I use.  I didn't get the credit because Safeway bought them out and the charge now codes as Safeway (but still has "Instacart" in the details).  Quick phone call sorted that out.

 

It's really going to be YMMV. In the Instacart example, you made the required purchase and it just showed up with the wrong name. With this one, if it posts with some name other than what a normal reservation would post with, it may be difficult to convince them that you purchased the correct item

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

I have the Hilton AMX card and have 100 offers and Celebrity is not one of the cash back offers 😞

 

 

You likely have more than that available but only 100 show available at one time. If you load a bunch you'll see the rest. However, the odds of your getting the Celebrity offer on that card are low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

Please be sure to post if it triggers the offer.

 

hm.. this is how the casino obc charge showed up on my Costco Visa the last time i did it:

CELEBRITY CRUISES MIAMI FL $500.00

PHONE NUMBER: FOLIO NUMBER:

ARRIVE: 00/00/00 DEPART: 00/00/00

 

the arrive and depart dates might be what amex will use to deny the $150?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...