Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
wesport

Amex spend 500 get 100 is back

Recommended Posts

On 11/28/2019 at 11:37 AM, DaveOKC said:

You cannot use OBC (of any kind as I understand it) to book shore excursions ahead of time (I sure wish HAL would change this!!!).  I guess you could purchase excursion using Am Ex and that would work (but not CERTAIN of it).  Just to be safe, if your purchase is under $500, also buy OBC at the same time so your Cart charge on Am Ex is over $500.

Confirming that the Amex offer will work with shore excursion purchases. We bought slightly over $500 worth last week and when I checked my Amex account this morning the credit had been applied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tregatti said:

Confirming that the Amex offer will work with shore excursion purchases. We bought slightly over $500 worth last week and when I checked my Amex account this morning the credit had been applied. 

I used it two summers ago to buy onboard credit which was used for shore excursions on HAL. I did get it, but it was a bit of a hassle. When it first did not show up, I called and was told that it specifically said not for spending while on board. I in reply asked how I could be spending it when I paid it onboard when we were not yet onboard. It was eventually escalated, and I was told I would be getting it in a few days, and did get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tregatti said:

Confirming that the Amex offer will work with shore excursion purchases. We bought slightly over $500 worth last week and when I checked my Amex account this morning the credit had been applied. 

 

Thanks for the tip.   I've got onboard credit for my next two HAL cruises, but will do shore excursions if I get a chance to double dip. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a lot of time to be online right now so not sure if anyone else already said this.

But I was on a cruise in Nov and bought $500 in casino credit.  You had to get like 50 inc. of $10.  But I got $100 credit on my AMEX statement.  When I was on the cruise, I expected that the $500 would be applied to my ship card to use for gambling.  However, they just handed me $500 in cash to do with whatever I wanted.  You could use that money to buy souveniers on shore, pay off some of your onboard account, or take it back home with you.  I thought this was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to book cruise tomorrow can i still buy obc? when is the last day to purchase obc before cruise sails? I know princess has limit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jameslee said:

I plan to book cruise tomorrow can i still buy obc? when is the last day to purchase obc before cruise sails? I know princess has limit

 

When is your cruise? I think I read that you can even buy OBC while you're on board, although I wouldn't want to chance that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jameslee said:

I plan to book cruise tomorrow can i still buy obc? when is the last day to purchase obc before cruise sails? I know princess has limit

 

Yes, you will still be able to purchase OBC.  The booking will disappear from your login on the date of sailing, so you can purchase up until the day before.  Cancellations (of excursions, etc) must be made no later than three days before.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise Critics rock

I just got the offer with my new Blue Card which I got for this purpose.   Was about to give up.    Note that I also have Bonvoy Amex and the offer never shows on bonvoy.

Purchased $500 Casino Chips.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had this offer on 2 out of 3 of my cards.  Applied it to one of the cards using the backdoor method (y) (y) for that.  $200 savings is significant IMO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Had this offer on 2 out of 3 of my cards.  Applied it to one of the cards using the backdoor method (y) (y) for that.  $200 savings is significant IMO 

 

Were they both $100 off or was one of them the Membership Rewards offer? And were they both in your name or was one an Authorized User card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, SFO PETER said:

Cruise Critics rock

I just got the offer with my new Blue Card which I got for this purpose.   Was about to give up.    Note that I also have Bonvoy Amex and the offer never shows on bonvoy.

Purchased $500 Casino Chips.

 

 

 

This offer (and other travel offers) almost never show up on co-sponsored cards from other travel cmopanies.  The back door link is what you needed to use for that card.

 

Glad to hear that you were able to get it on your new Blue card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 11:41 PM, MisterBill99 said:

 

When is your cruise? I think I read that you can even buy OBC while you're on board, although I wouldn't want to chance that.

technically the american express offer must be made from the hal website, not onboard. that doesn't mean it won't work, but just do it ahead of time to be sure. 

 

for those buying obc, is it refundable if it's not all used?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dszrew said:

technically the american express offer must be made from the hal website, not onboard. that doesn't mean it won't work, but just do it ahead of time to be sure. 

 

for those buying obc, is it refundable if it's not all used?

 

You can buy OBC by phone while you are on board (or so I have been told). I wasn't talking about buying it from guest services on the ship.

 

And yes, OBC that you purchase is refundable. Only OBC that you are given by HAL is non-refundable.

Edited by MisterBill99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you buy the $500 obc online?

Jan cruise is already booked and paid, but I’m sure I’ll use the OBC.

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to HAL's web site and bring up your booking.  

Select Purchase Gifts & Indulgences from menu on left hand side of screen.  

Select -  GIFTS & INDULGENCES

Select - Shipboard Credit

Select - 

$100.00 Shipboard Credit

Enter -

5 in the Quantity box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, NMTraveller said:

This link put the discount on my account.

 

http://americanexpress.com/wlcl

 

It may show up as Princess but it is Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc.

Thank you for this.  We've been away but this will be helpful as we pay the next cruise.  With this link it works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, regnig said:

Go to HAL's web site and bring up your booking.  

Select Purchase Gifts & Indulgences from menu on left hand side of screen.  

Select -  GIFTS & INDULGENCES

Select - Shipboard Credit

 

Select - 

$100.00 Shipboard Credit

 

Enter -

5 in the Quantity box

 


so I did this and it triggered the credit.

 

couple question though...

can I just use the $500 obc I purchased for the casino?

cash out when I”m done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Motor City said:


so I did this and it triggered the credit.

 

couple question though...

can I just use the $500 obc I purchased for the casino?

cash out when I”m done?

 

You can use it for whatever you purchase on the ship, including the casino.  You cash out, in person, no later than the last night.

Edited by *Miss G*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

 

You can use it for whatever you purchase on the ship, including the casino.  You cash out, in person, no later than the last night.

 

Or refundable OBC will go back to the card you registered at check in after they settle up the account after disembarkation.  To be safe, don't register the AmEx that you used to get the AmEx Offer on... to be extra safe, don't register an AmEx for your cruise.

 

Last year, I got the Offer via my AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card for 5x$100 OBC, purchased through HAL's website (statement credit posted well before the cruise).  I registered my Delta AmEx for onboard spending, because cruise was new calendar year and wanted spending on the DL card again.  Refund went to my Delta card and I never heard a peep from AmEx about problems with the Offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jb008 said:

Last year, I got the Offer via my AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card for 5x$100 OBC, purchased through HAL's website (statement credit posted well before the cruise).  I registered my Delta AmEx for onboard spending, because cruise was new calendar year and wanted spending on the DL card again.  Refund went to my Delta card and I never heard a peep from AmEx about problems with the Offer.

 

For future reference, you never want your OBC refund going on a card that gives you points/miles/money. It will deduct those for whatever amount gets credited back to your account. I always use a debit card when I am expecting a credit. Or take the money at guest services on the last night of the cruise if you don't mind traveling with cash (or it's not too much).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

 

For future reference, you never want your OBC refund going on a card that gives you points/miles/money. It will deduct those for whatever amount gets credited back to your account. I always use a debit card when I am expecting a credit. Or take the money at guest services on the last night of the cruise if you don't mind traveling with cash (or it's not too much).

 

Personally, I spend all OBC at the casino the last night, one pull for each dollar, then cash out the balance.  My room charge at the end of the cruise was just over $3.  I figure this also pumps the Mariner status points.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added this offer to my AmEx - thank you!

 

Ques: Does this offer apply if I go on the HAL website and purchase beverage package, internet, shore excursions, dining, etc and use my AmEx to do so? or is it only for purchasing OBC? 

 

TIA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cykim7 said:

I added this offer to my AmEx - thank you!

 

Ques: Does this offer apply if I go on the HAL website and purchase beverage package, internet, shore excursions, dining, etc and use my AmEx to do so? or is it only for purchasing OBC? 

 

TIA!

I plan on using my new Blue Cash Card to purchase 2 beverage packages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...