Cruise Critic Community
wesport

Remaining obc

I am on board and started with

100 dollar shareholders credit

30 dollar 5 star internet credit

40 internet credit for internet being down two days

i forgot I had free gratuities and now still have an 88 dollar credit.is this a use it or lose it situation?

Yes, I just sent my wife shopping with $500 OBC. Lots of trinkets and beads I didn't need.

Order a bottle or more of wine and take it home.

1 hour ago, wesport said:

I am on board and started with

100 dollar shareholders credit

30 dollar 5 star internet credit

40 internet credit for internet being down two days

i forgot I had free gratuities and now still have an 88 dollar credit.is this a use it or lose it situation?

You can also donate it to the crew as extra tips.  See front desk for details.

I had quite a bit OBC left over and the Front Desk said to spend it.  I did and the $7.00 I didn't spend was credited onto the final bill.  I suspect that I could have had it all credited back to me.  

I might just depend on who at the Front Desk you ask.  Maybe ask three or four times?

4 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I had quite a bit OBC left over and the Front Desk said to spend it.  I did and the $7.00 I didn't spend was credited onto the final bill.  I suspect that I could have had it all credited back to me.  

I might just depend on who at the Front Desk you ask.  Maybe ask three or four times?

First, not all OBC is the same.  It depends on the source of it.  If it is something that HAL gave you (like stockholder credit, future cruise depoist credit, promotional credit, etc., then it is not refundable.  If it comes from your TA or a gift from someone (or yourself) then it is refundable.

Second, some HAL ships seem to do a better job than others in keeping track of the two types, so your results may vary by ship.

Just off NS.  We had several OBC's shown on our statement when we boarded.  Each was marked as non-refundable or ones that could be credited back to our credit card.  Also, charges are deducted from non-refundable OBC's before starting on refundable ones.

I had so much OBC on the Konigsdam last year that I ended up with a GoPro purchased at 9:00 PM on the last cruise day.  Still figuring out how/when to use it.  This small camera was added to my collection of OBC-purchased watches from previous cruises.

A few years ago, there were other options to "cash-out" OBC but HAL tightened the restrictions.