Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Scrapnana

ms Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades November 17, 2019

Recommended Posts

Crown Princess is underway with a departure toot, and I heard them mention something about trying the thrusters to the tugboat Trident, so they may have a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would they attempt to leave if there's a problem with thrusters or any other mechanical system?  Maybe those who know more about ships could respond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Why would they attempt to leave if there's a problem with thrusters or any other mechanical system?  Maybe those who know more about ships could respond.

That's puzzling to me as well - interesting question.

 

Sue/WDW1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Why would they attempt to leave if there's a problem with thrusters or any other mechanical system?  Maybe those who know more about ships could respond.

 

The reason could be for several reasons with none of them due to a problem with the thrusters.  Example, a strong wind from the West could be "pinning" the ship to the side of the pier with a force that her thrusters would not be able to overcome.  Thus, the Captain would request tug assistance to get off the dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

The reason could be for several reasons with none of them due to a problem with the thrusters.  Example, a strong wind from the West could be "pinning" the ship to the side of the pier with a force that her thrusters would not be able to overcome.  Thus, the Captain would request tug assistance to get off the dock.

Thanks.  Okay, one toot.  Hope captain does better than that five weeks from now when we board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Thanks.  Okay, one toot.  Hope captain does better than that five weeks from now when we board.

 

And, if the Captain doesn't, if they have a Q &A session with the Captain, remind him of the Port Everglades web site and the many who watch sailaways and always appreciate toots.  I have been to some Q & A's and reminded one ship's Master of this "fact".  He seemed to appreciate my comment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...