Service Dogs!

roger b

3 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Then there was the woman who allowed her Yorkie to poop and pee everywhere, and never cleaned it up.  A friend opened his cabin door to find a lovely gift right there.  He let guest services have it and after that the dog was confined to the owners cabin for the rest of the cruise.

Was this on Oceania ?? 😱

There's a website (and there are many others!) called United Support Animals that describes itself as an "Official Animal Support and Service Animal Registry". For  $69 you can have your dog registered as an emotional support animal, for $59 a service animal, $109 for airlines. You can have your needs verified by "mental health professionals".

So in essence I could have my 150lb Pyrenees and 90lb rambunctious lab accompany me wherever I want to fly.

This kind of disregard must be so painful for someone who is truly in need of a service animal. As someone said earlier, have your doc prescribe you a Xanax.

• Like 4

On 11/17/2019 at 10:45 AM, ropomo said:

This gives new meaning to the term "poop deck" 🙄

Nope.  That's been the meaning all along.  Well, except it was for sailors, not dogs.

Edited by Haboob

On 11/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, LHT28 said:

Jan  it is just my opinion  but if  they are allowed on the  ship as  a service animal  they have to be allowed where ever the owner goes

It is just too bad there is not any regulations on what can be designated a service animal & what questions the cruise lines can ask to be sure they a true service animals

I believe  the ADA   rules  state you cannot ask what disability a  person has (privacy issues)  so may also pertain to a Service dog being allowed or not

JMO

Actually, there are regulations.  Under the ADA (the Air Carrier Access Act does not apply to cruise ships) the animal must be a dog, and staff on a cruise which enters US waters may only ask two questions:

1. Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the dog been trained to  perform?

They may not:

• ask about the nature or extent of an individual’s disability
  • require proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal
  • require the animal to wear an identifying vest or tag
  • ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the task or work

-- https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Can you spell "insanely open to abuse"?

• Like 2

I have a dear friend who is a vet...who has a service animal due to severe emotional PTSD. Totally "vetted" by his various doctors and allowed to fly with him etc. as he is under care from the VA. While he has not been on a cruise with his dear dog...I would hate that those of you on this thread...would question and/or disbelieve his need for this valued companion. No....he doesn't wear a "bow"...but he is a "small dog"...and that doesn't mean he isn't of value to him. I also have a friend who has seizures...and she also has an "alert dog". Just because someone doesn't have an "obvious disability" doesn't mean they don't require assistance. Please stop judging things as you are...as you are certainly NOT in his/her shoes. YES...there are those who I think may abuse the "system"...but that is not true of everyone. Can you please have some compassion for those who need this type of care? LuAnn

14 hours ago, Haboob said:

Actually, there are regulations.  Under the ADA (the Air Carrier Access Act does not apply to cruise ships) the animal must be a dog, and staff on a cruise which enters US waters may only ask two questions:

1. Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
  2. What work or task has the dog been trained to  perform?

They may not:

• ask about the nature or extent of an individual’s disability
  • require proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal
  • require the animal to wear an identifying vest or tag
  • ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the task or work

-- https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Can you spell "insanely open to abuse"?

As indicated above the law is actually very clear.  And, of course, it is clearly an invitation to abuse.  The cruise industry (and the airlines, grocery stores and doctors offices) can do nothing but ask the two questions stated above. Even if it is obvious that the person is lying the law prohibits them from asking the questions that would catch the lie.

The only fix to this mess is a revision of the law.  Unfortunately, repeated efforts to get congress to fix this situation have not gotten their interest.  Sadly, they have other priorities 🙁

ON a recent sailing we saw two large men with their chihuahua

There was great doubt the dog was trained for anything and it was carried/coddled ...

Anyone can get fake tags/papers off the internet or print them at home. I know someone who did that so they could take their pets to the mall. Infuriating

You don't even need the fake vests or papers. Just lie if challenged. If questioned beyond the legal two questions you can file a complaint with the federal justice department (easily done on line).  The subsequent investigation can be a huge pain in the ass for the company accused,  And, believe me, these self-centered abusers are quite willing to do just that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

I have a dear friend who is a vet...who has a service animal due to severe emotional PTSD. Totally "vetted" by his various doctors and allowed to fly with him etc. as he is under care from the VA. While he has not been on a cruise with his dear dog...I would hate that those of you on this thread...would question and/or disbelieve his need for this valued companion. No....he doesn't wear a "bow"...but he is a "small dog"...and that doesn't mean he isn't of value to him. I also have a friend who has seizures...and she also has an "alert dog". Just because someone doesn't have an "obvious disability" doesn't mean they don't require assistance. Please stop judging things as you are...as you are certainly NOT in his/her shoes. YES...there are those who I think may abuse the "system"...but that is not true of everyone. Can you please have some compassion for those who need this type of care? LuAnn

I do not believe anyone here objects to real service dogs  what people are complaining about  are those that are NOT a service dog  but  a pet  disguised  under the ADA  rules as one

See the above posts on what a real service dog  is  & what is  a pet incognito

JMO

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not believe anyone here objects to real service dogs  what people are complaining about  are those that are NOT a service dog  but  a pet  disguised  under the ADA  rules as one

See the above posts on what a real service dog  is  & what is  a pet incognito

JMO

+1

Any anger should be focused on the disgusting frauds who game the system for their own selfish reasons.

• Like 4

On 11/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, StanandJim said:

Yes, and everyone who wears sneakers into the Dining Room does not have a medical condition that warrants it and a good number of the abled bodied sometimes use wheelchairs because they don't enjoy walking long distances-

Ethics are no longer taught in the schools, what do you expect?

My thoughts exactly!!!

On 11/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, sunlover12 said:

People who bring dogs on a cruise ship that are not true service dogs are unbelievably self-centered.  They care about no one but themselves.  Then to bring them into a dining room adds to the absurdity.  They should stay at home if they cannot bear to be away from their pet.

What is wrong with these people?!

Don't you know they are PRIVILEGED PEOPLE!  I've met some  of them, not the dog lovers,   but those that feel they are ENTITLED to do whatever they want.

5 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Don't you know they are PRIVILEGED PEOPLE!  I've met some  of them, not the dog lovers,   but those that feel they are ENTITLED to do whatever they want.

Yep! Same passengers that sign up for ship shore tours they aren’t physically capable of , while totally expecting the other tour passengers to constantly wait on THEM and to facilitate THEM. Oceania cruises with plenty of the Entitled!

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Yep! Same passengers that sign up for ship shore tours they aren’t physically capable of , while totally expecting the other tour passengers to constantly wait on THEM and to facilitate THEM. Oceania cruises with plenty of the Entitled!

Yes, Pinot, O certainly does have them.  On one cruise we had received an invitation for a bridge tour - limited number of people, eight I think.  We had to RSVP and were contacted with info when and at what time to meet.  While waiting for the last person to arrive at our meeting place with the Concierge Hostess, three thirty-somethings came up and asked what we were waiting for.  The CH explained that it was a private bridge tour.  Well, sure enough, the three whined and wrung their hands and begged to come along.  After several 'no' answers, the CH finally gave in, and the three joined our 'private' tour.  Really a shame, as it reinforced their privileged status.  (I know she was just trying to avoid a scene, as that was where these young 'ladies' were gearing up for!)

They knew their game and played it well, evidently having much experience at this in the past, starting with mommy and daddy!  GRRRRR

On 11/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, StanandJim said:

Ethics are no longer taught in the schools, what do you expect?

Forget about the schools. It was my parents that taught me ethics. There are far too many people today who have a grossly inflated and unwarranted sense of entitlement. You're not going to find them teaching their children ethics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

I started this discussion not realiziing it would start such  intense feelings.Having spent two weeks on Sirena with a dog aboard , has it made any difference to my life or my enjoyment  of  the cruise NO! 

My only thought is that it is unfair on the animal to be to be cooped up in the confined area of a ship just for the gratification  of its owners which it clearly was.

Also there were some guests  that objected to the dog being aboard as they are worried about health risks.

A cruise ship is not a place for dogs and owners can find alternative  holidays that does not affect other people .

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roger b said:

I started this discussion not realiziing it would start such  intense feelings.Having spent two weeks on Sirena with a dog aboard , has it made any difference to my life or my enjoyment  of  the cruise NO! 

My only thought is that it is unfair on the animal to be to be cooped up in the confined area of a ship just for the gratification  of its owners which it clearly was.

Also there were some guests  that objected to the dog being aboard as they are worried about health risks.

A cruise ship is not a place for dogs and owners can find alternative  holidays that does not affect other people .

I am curious if you know and would be willing to share the stateroom number.  One of us has a very sensitive nose for residual smells and is  allergic to dog and cat hair.  We have a cruise booked on the Sirena in a couple of weeks and we are hoping that the cabin is not the same as ours.

• Like 2

If one suspects that the dog is not a service dog ie barks, craves attention, etc. , I would challenge the owners irregardless of the consequences.  If they are bluffing they will concede and be found out. No harm, no foul.   Unless the owners are punished or face consequences, there will be no hesitation by these unscrupulous creatines. .