Tahti rental car for half day or leave Hilton Moorae day early

topcruz

We have OWB at Hilton in Moorae for 4 days.  We are checking out to catch ferry on April 21 to go to Tahiti to catch the 9:30 pm flight to SFO on United.  I am trying to decide if we should get a renal car for 1/2 day on April 21 or should we leave Moorea on April 20 and stay a night at IC in Tahati.  Do I need to be concerned that the ferry may not run due to weather on April 21?  Thanks for the advice

Topcruz,

Just my 2 cents. The ferry has a reputation of not running exactly on time but not that it wouldn't run at all. We've traveled on it in inclement weather and while it was 1/2 hour late, it ran. I'd take the second to the last ferry at 2:45 and plan on being at the ferry 45 minutes early. By the time you check out of the Hilton and get the car it may not be worth having the car for just a few hours. I'd rent a car for a day while at the Hilton. After you check out of your room, have lunch, and hang out there before heading to the ferry.

If you are going to worry tho (and I'm the worst of worry warts) I'd go the day before. If you've not done it before you can rent a car in Papeete and do a circle island there. While the IC Tahiti is the nicest of hotels on Tahiti it doesn't hold a candle to the Hilton Moorea.

You do not need to go to Tahiti a day early. Petoonyas advice makes sense.

In this situation I've gone to Tahiti earlier in the day and rented a car from Avis by the pier and dropped it off at the airport. This gave me a place to store luggage (in the car), provided transportation to the airport, and gave us something to do in the evening while waiting for the flights  - we ate at the food trucks in Papeete. During the day, we drove out to Faarumai Waterfall.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/M7vKYADdoBsDjo2F6

The one way drop fee was about $20. This was back in 2015.

Edited by Mercruiser