Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
AndyMichelle

Oceana observations...

Recommended Posts

Just to confirm a few points that have been discussed on here recently. 

Most have already been answered, but just in case anyone missed them...

 

Not criticisms as we had a fantastic time, just our honest findings... 

 

You do not have to take your life jacket to muster anymore. This does help when leaving, but it is still a pain as too many people are still squeezed into inadequate spaces, frightening to think what could happen in a real emergency!! 

 

Face cloths are no longer provided, but are available on request. 

 

No turn down service on the first night. Not an issue for us but others weren't happy. 

 

Oceana does have an egg station in the buffet, but the poached eggs were very poor throughout the ship... Very unusual for P&O. 

 

Porters are still available on arrival, but perhaps not as many... We were halfway across the concourse with our luggage before finding one. 

 

Marmite was not available... I don't eat it but asked in the buffet to be told no. 

The jam and butter now is either already decanted or in glass pots, no plastic pouches as previously. 

 

The tea is PG throughout the ship. 

 

Captains welcome was on the last sea day...? Rumours spread that they were not having one due to cutbacks and hastily arranged it after complaints from passengers. The captain denied this, but who knows. 

 

Main toilet doors are now wedged open, so no need to open them with paper towels anymore. The downside to this is the smell in the public areas. Often toilets were blocked with the maintenance guy walking around with his plunger out uncovered... Didn't seem right to me. 

 

MDR lunch menu is still too limited for us, although it was well attended on the first sea day which made service chaotic. 

 

That will do for now, I'm sure I will think of more points and will add them later. 

 

Andy 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by AndyMichelle
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot an important one.. 

No 'golden triangles'. 

They had small, rock hard bits of fried bread, but nothing like the heavenly, fat soaked doorsteps we used to get... 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the Captain's welcome, did he introduce the senior officers as this was not the case on the Aurora yesterday, just a welcome speech by the Captain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Face cloths are no longer provided, but are available on request. 

 

No turn down service on the first night. Not an issue for us but others weren't happy. 

Is this just on Oceana or fleet wide? Does anyone know if this is the case on Britannia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same on Arcadia,  also shower caps only provided on request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had the glass jam pots in the MDR for breakfast.

 

Only went to the buffet on the last morning, there didn’t seem to be as much choice as the other smaller ships we had been on ( Oriana, Aurora) no mushrooms for example.

 

We were on the two weeks before, so 27 Oct to 10 Nov, and the breakfast on the MDR was excellent as always.

 

I realised before the Steward told us we would get no turn down service the first night as the chocolates were already on the bed when we arrived. Not a problem for us and the poor Cabin Stewards had been up working since well before 6 in the morning so I’m glad  they didn’t have to come back in the evening. How does that work with anyone that needs the pullmans pulled down though as health and safety says you can’t do yourself?

 

We asked for face cloths and no problem got changed every day. 
 

Quite a few of the ladies loos had out of order on, it seemed to change which ones every day. I joked someone was playing a joke on us and walking around sticking them on random doors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear that the plastic preserve/marmalade packets have gone.  At least the glass pots can be recycled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Port out said:

At the Captain's welcome, did he introduce the senior officers as this was not the case on the Aurora yesterday, just a welcome speech by the Captain

On Aurora do they still have 4 Captains do’s 2 in the Crows Nest and 2 in Carmens. If so I do not think that the senior staff were all introduced as there would not have been the time and not sure they all moved between the two venues. I think it was brought in when the bigger ships came in with one venue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also just came off Oceana was very disappointed to see they no longer offered mushrooms at the buffet breakfast! I was generally disappointed with The Plaza’s food, but I will post a longer review on the Reviews page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, miranda53 said:

I also just came off Oceana was very disappointed to see they no longer offered mushrooms at the buffet breakfast! I was generally disappointed with The Plaza’s food, but I will post a longer review on the Reviews page.

We have always found that mushrooms are only available on a part time basis, a bit like the grilled tomato halves and tinned tomatoes, which seem to alternate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part time mushrooms,I've heard it all now,lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, miranda53 said:

I also just came off Oceana was very disappointed to see they no longer offered mushrooms at the buffet breakfast! I was generally disappointed with The Plaza’s food, but I will post a longer review on the Reviews page.

Mushrooms on Ventura. Very nice thank you. That was in the Buffet which we found by mistake and quite late in the morning. I do like this new service of the waiter in the orange apron with “Here to help” printed on it. Makes life so much easier in my scooter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's not muchroom on the Oceana maybe.Perhaps the part timers should get a rice.Or is there a cap and they get buttons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, brian1 said:

There's not muchroom on the Oceana maybe.Perhaps the part timers should get a rice.Or is there a cap and they get buttons.

Is it pantomime season already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no it isn't.This is getting corny now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In response to the pullmans mentioned above, when I shared a cabin with my mum and godmother our cabin steward told us she would prepare the sofa-bed when we were at muster.  Obviously, you then have to negotiate round it then for the rest of the evening,as you would have to with pullmans too, but we were fine with this.

 

Michele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband had mushrooms every day, but he gets up at silly o'clock. I only managed once.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Port out said:

At the Captain's welcome, did he introduce the senior officers as this was not the case on the Aurora yesterday, just a welcome speech by the Captain

Same again, just the captains speech. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kenhem said:

Same on Arcadia,  also shower caps only provided on request.

Oh we had a shower cap, unless it was a weird shaped condom😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, amajaa said:

They had the glass jam pots in the MDR for breakfast.

 

Only went to the buffet on the last morning, there didn’t seem to be as much choice as the other smaller ships we had been on ( Oriana, Aurora) no mushrooms for example.

 

We were on the two weeks before, so 27 Oct to 10 Nov, and the breakfast on the MDR was excellent as always.

 

I realised before the Steward told us we would get no turn down service the first night as the chocolates were already on the bed when we arrived. Not a problem for us and the poor Cabin Stewards had been up working since well before 6 in the morning so I’m glad  they didn’t have to come back in the evening. How does that work with anyone that needs the pullmans pulled down though as health and safety says you can’t do yourself?

 

We asked for face cloths and no problem got changed every day. 
 

Quite a few of the ladies loos had out of order on, it seemed to change which ones every day. I joked someone was playing a joke on us and walking around sticking them on random doors. 

We had mushrooms in the buffet. 

The poached eggs in the MDR were atrocious and the service chaotic at best. 

I think they had a large amount of new staff as nobody seemed to know what they were doing, unlike club dining where it ran like a well oiled machine. 

They are still playing that 'out of order' game, but on the lifts as well as the toilets. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, miranda53 said:

I also just came off Oceana was very disappointed to see they no longer offered mushrooms at the buffet breakfast! I was generally disappointed with The Plaza’s food, but I will post a longer review on the Reviews page.

Only used the buffet a couple of times, but definitely had mushrooms on the last day. 

Compared to other ships, we thought the buffet food was OK, just didn't like the layout. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re quiet spaces, we found it nice in the library in the day, overlooking the prom deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Re quiet spaces, we found it nice in the library in the day, overlooking the prom deck.

We did try, but there is only a few seats that were always taken. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We did try, but there is only a few seats that were always taken. 

Andy 


Ah unfortunate. We must have been lucky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...