Cruise Critic Community
LadyMac72

What's a good gift?

I purchased a cruise for my BF and I for next September (2020) in Alaska.  I've cruised before but he hasn't.  His birthday is in February and I will be giving him the gift then (he'll be 40, hence the reason for this bigger than usual gift).  I want to give him an Alaska book (even though I will be the one to plan everything - LOL - I know my role) but also wanted to give him something that would be helpful for a first time cruiser.  Any ideas?  TIA.  

If he uses cellphone as camera, then a clear waterproof neckpouch for it will be handy for shore excursions and wandering the deck.

Also a charger/splitter without surge protection (which is dangerous with the ship's electric system), like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KPYFMV7/ref=psdc_10967801_t3_B073ZDH43X

The "frequently bought together" suggestions on that devices page (showing me luggage tag sleeves and strong magnet hooks) are also handy things.

I bought this book in 1995, didn’t cruise with it until 2019 and it was still useful and entertaining. DH liked the section on id’ing different fishing boats. 
Coastal Companion

Binoculars if he doesn’t have any. 

packing cubes if he’s likely to use them.

16 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

I purchased a cruise for my BF and I for next September (2020) in Alaska.  I've cruised before but he hasn't.  His birthday is in February and I will be giving him the gift then (he'll be 40, hence the reason for this bigger than usual gift).  I want to give him an Alaska book (even though I will be the one to plan everything - LOL - I know my role) but also wanted to give him something that would be helpful for a first time cruiser.  Any ideas?  TIA.  

For Alaska, binoculars 

Binoculars are a good idea.

I see you are from VA.  If he doesn't have one -- a gortex jacket -- waterproof with zippered lining -- for layering.

I guess I was thinking more "stocking stuffer" type things in my answer above. Nice-while-small binoculars from R.E.I. was what I got my husband a couple of cruises ago!

As far as Alaska books, there are several specific for cruising Alaska -- look for titles and "Look Inside" option on Amazon, but have a look for the same title(s) on eBay for significant savings!

On 11/17/2019 at 1:45 PM, LadyMac72 said:

I want to give him an Alaska book (even though I will be the one to plan everything - LOL - I know my role) but also wanted to give him something that would be helpful for a first time cruiser.  Any ideas?  TIA.  

For a book -- Alaska by James A. Michener.   Spares nothing in telling the story of how Alaska came to be.    😀

Edited by ldubs

If he like to take pictures buy him a GOOD camera, and leave the phone at home.

Definitely binoculars! such a nice gift, a cruise! I think he would already be happy with that!!

Rain jacket, rain boots, binoculars, warm gloves or a hat, nice backpack, waterproof camera case...

A cruise-compliant power cube might benefit both of you - a gift for him that you also get some benefit from 😉