Cruise Critic Community
ryndam

New boarding & muster drill procedure

We boarded Symphony in Miami yesterday. All check-in procedures (passport, ticket, photo) were done on the pier. Only needed a copy of the bar code on the paper ticket to be scanned on the gangway. Cabin keys were in the cabin. There was no check-in onboard as had been the procedure for the past few years. PH rooms available immediately upon boarding, all other rooms available around 2:30pm.

At the muster drill, there were staff with tablets that scanned your room key card to make sure you were present at the drill. No more staff bellowing out cabin numbers to take attendance.

The staff said these new procedures were implemented 10 days ago. Ours was the second sailing with this change. Check-in has always been very efficient. This new protocol speeded up the process even faster.

Rob

Wonder if the same procedure will be at PE??

What pier at POM did you board ?

Interesting.  I assume the personnel checking you in pier side were Crystal onboard personnel, and not pier contracted folks dressed in Crystal blazers like in the old, old days.

Every other cruise line I've been on does check-in at the pier.  For muster drill, some scan your card; most ask you to provide your cabin number to someone checking off a list.  The "shouting" is only for those cabins who didn't check in (or the checker missed them).  

Having (PH) rooms ready right away is a huge benefit!

We have usually checked in inside the port building  & usually by  contractors not cruise ship personnel  but there is usually the Purser or other cruise staff on hand

30 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Interesting.  I assume the personnel checking you in pier side were Crystal onboard personnel, and not pier contracted folks dressed in Crystal blazers like in the old, old days.

They were not Crystal onboard personnel, although several front office staff were there assisting the shoreside personnel.

56 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Wonder if the same procedure will be at PE??

What pier at POM did you board ?

Terminal J in Miami.

20 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Terminal J in Miami.

So when you say "on the pier"  you mean  the port  building  not on the actual dock outside??

This is an interesting change...  Though I think a positive one.  With the requirements to check paperwork and everything shoreside, the experience was just kind of two lines to wait in.  As someone that works with many of the same event-type temps that work as the check-in clerks for cruise ships shoreside, I get how much more challenging it is to use them than your own staff -- especially how Crystal's ships don't usually dock in the same port every week.  Just about the time someone has the processes, questions/answers, and system down, the day is over and it's back to those other cruise lines you assist with that have whole different systems.

I'm pretty sure Crystal's shipboard staff are only allowed to manage the process shoreside, I don't think they're actually allowed to clerk the desks unless Crystal employed them shoreside.  I could be wrong there, but that was my understanding of one of the reasons they started doing the shipboard check-in years ago.  (They were having quality problems and they can only use their staff as the clerks aboard the ship.)

My only hesitation are the experiences I had before Crystal went to the onboard check-in...  The blank photo on one card that I had to have re-taken at the front desk because the temp didn't know how to work the camera, the one cruise (back when they used pre-printed cards the first time) where the agent forgot to press save when she checked me in and the cruise line thought I was a no-show until they cross-referenced the gangway data, and the agent in Hong Kong that didn't swipe my credit card properly and my folio payment info was "lost".

I'm all about the drill change...  Now that you don't bring your lifejackets, it takes a lot longer for the crew to check the people off the list when the come in or get called off.  Scanning will be a little faster and a little more accurate.

Vince

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

So when you say "on the pier"  you mean  the port  building  not on the actual dock outside??

Only luggage porters and taxi drivers were outside on the sidewalk. Everyone else was in an air conditioned building.

26 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Only luggage porters and taxi drivers were outside on the sidewalk. Everyone else was in an air conditioned building.

works the same with Oceania  when they use Term J

You confused me   when you said ON THE PIER   so not literally  then 😉

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

works the same with Oceania  when they use Term J

You confused me   when you said ON THE PIER   so not literally  then 😉

👍🏻

30 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

This is an interesting change...  Though I think a positive one.  With the requirements to check paperwork and everything shoreside, the experience was just kind of two lines to wait in.  As someone that works with many of the same event-type temps that work as the check-in clerks for cruise ships shoreside, I get how much more challenging it is to use them than your own staff -- especially how Crystal's ships don't usually dock in the same port every week.  Just about the time someone has the processes, questions/answers, and system down, the day is over and it's back to those other cruise lines you assist with that have whole different systems.

I'm pretty sure Crystal's shipboard staff are only allowed to manage the process shoreside, I don't think they're actually allowed to clerk the desks unless Crystal employed them shoreside.  I could be wrong there, but that was my understanding of one of the reasons they started doing the shipboard check-in years ago.  (They were having quality problems and they can only use their staff as the clerks aboard the ship.)

Maybe those that do the check at Term J will know  how to  use the terminals  there 🤔

We have checked in there several times  & had no issues 

Check in fill out the health questionnaire

get your photo & then we got our room key  off to the ship

Sounds like with Crystal you just board the ship after the photo  etc..

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe those that do the check at Term J will know  how to  use the terminals  there 🤔

No health questionnaire anymore.  Rob can correct me if I'm wrong about that.  I was told by a friend on the last Symphony sailing is it is no longer done since there is the health question on PCPC.

Keith

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

None of those experiences happened in Miami.  :classic_smile:  They're also a collection from 30 years of sailing with Crystal -- they're not every-embarkation experiences.  They are -- however -- examples of things I never had happen with Crystal's staff onboard, even though some of them weren't uber-familiar with the front office's systems and processes either.

Vince

Also something Rob didn't mention, if Crystal has a recent enough photo and they determine you look more or less the same, they don't bother to take a new photo. 😁

Patty

5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

No health questionnaire anymore.  Rob can correct me if I'm wrong about that.  I was told by a friend on the last Symphony sailing is it is no longer done since there is the health question on PCPC.

Keith

interesting

How do you know if you will have intestinal issues  the day you board  well in advance ??

8 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

None of those experiences happened in Miami.  :classic_smile:  They're also a collection from 30 years of sailing with Crystal -- they're not every-embarkation experiences.  They are -- however -- examples of things I never had happen with Crystal's staff onboard, even though some of them weren't uber-familiar with the front office's systems and processes either.

Vince

Well maybe since  as the title states  this is a NEW Procedure for Crystal

1 minute ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I don’t know if this is brand new, but it’s a change since I was last on Crystal in 2016: the muster was AT the lifeboats, not at some venue inside the ship. 

Lifeboats on Symphony (unless there's inclement weather) and inside on the Serenity as the lifeboats are fitted into the ships hull (sort of!).

Patty

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Well maybe since  as the title states  this is NEW Procedure

Yeah, I got that, but my point is I've been around since long enough to remember the LAST time this was the new procedure.  lol  And I work with enough event staffing temps every month to know what the upsides and downsides are there, and what hasn't changed.  Trust me.

Vince

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

interesting

How do you know if you will have intestinal issues  the day you board  well in advance ??

I understand and my friend was surprised but just sharing what I was told.

Keith

I guess our sailing was the first to implement this procedure. Having no basis for comparison, it seemed flawless and quick. We boarded at Terminal F because there was some kind of construction going on at Terminal J. We did return to Terminal J at the end of the cruise.

FWIW

WE have checked in at TERM J  with Oceania  (not a luxury line) several times

Signed the medical form. line up, get photo hand over CC  get  room key & off to board the ship

No problems for us with the  contractors checking us in

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I don’t know if this is brand new, but it’s a change since I was last on Crystal in 2016: the muster was AT the lifeboats, not at some venue inside the ship. 

Crystal - that’s because of the different ships - 2016 you were Serenity which does it inside versus Symphony which is always outside unless the weather prevents that