Cruise Critic Community
ryndam

New boarding & muster drill procedure

I like the sound of the new check-in process being done port side purely from a superficial point of view - no unsightly check-in desks on the ship. I think it will be a much nicer welcome onboard when you don't have to get shuffled to the area where you need to check in. I've found in the past that when first getting on the ship the welcome on board can be inconsistent. We've been greeted by champagne on some occasions, nothing on others and the very worst was entering the ship on deck 4 and having to lug hand luggage up the stairs. I think part of this has to do with the logistics of having passengers check in on the ship and the number of staff that need to be deployed to assist in this. Going forward I think embarking will have a much nicer and more relaxed vibe with staff hopefully offering champagne as you board.

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

No health questionnaire anymore.  Rob can correct me if I'm wrong about that.  I was told by a friend on the last Symphony sailing is it is no longer done since there is the health question on PCPC.

Keith

Keith, that is correct. We were not asked the health questions at check-in.

Rob

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Also something Rob didn't mention, if Crystal has a recent enough photo and they determine you look more or less the same, they don't bother to take a new photo.

That’s been the case since at least January 2019 

I kind of wish they’d take a new one each time but now they’re no longer on the access card I guess it doesn’t really matter

4 hours ago, ryndam said:

The staff said these new procedures were implemented 10 days ago. Ours was the second sailing with this change. Check-in has always been very efficient. This new protocol speeded up the process even faster.

It will be interesting to see if this is going to be the case at all ports or just Miami perhaps?

We haven’t heard anything from the Serenity re a change totem process when they boarded in Lisbon

I’m surprised they’re not asking the health questions at checkin anymore - we all know (some) people lie through their teeth when answering if they’re not feeling so good so they’re not denied boarding - hasn’t happened to us (of course) but I’d be surprised if that wasn’t the case

Given the PCPC is completed at least a week before embarkation I would think that asking at embarkation is going to get a more accurate view of the passengers health - and any issues can be reviewed 

13 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Going forward I think embarking will have a much nicer and more relaxed vibe with staff hopefully offering champagne as you board.

Yes - handing out champagne when boarding has become less consistent over recent years. Remember they will also try and give you the alternate embarkation day champagne not the Jacquart Brut that is normally served 

15 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Yes - handing out champagne when boarding has become less consistent over recent years. Remember they will also try and give you the alternate embarkation day champagne not the Jacquart Brut that is normally served 

What brand is the alternate Embarkation day stuff?

Just incase they are handing some out  

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What brand is the alternate Embarkation day stuff?

Just incase they are handing some out  

Last time I checked it was Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Reserve NV - interestingly this Was the standard pour champagne on Seabourn last year - but they since changed to a different brand 

14 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Last time I checked it was Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Reserve NV - interestingly this Was the standard pour champagne on Seabourn last year - but they since changed to a different brand 

Thanks  I have not heard of that one

I am such a connoisseur of  champagnes  😎 NOT!!

But I do know the ones I like

As long as the process is smooth it is all I ask....will avoid the melee in the ship as we hand in our carry ons etc.

I have found that mainstream cruises check in is on the dock....luxury usually is inside the ship. 

1 minute ago, Emdee said:

As long as the process is smooth it is all I ask....will avoid the melee in the ship as we hand in our carry ons etc

Won’t they still be checking in hand luggage onboard to store while waiting for your cabin to become available? I’ve never encountered a melee when doing so but there’s the possibility of a short wait while they handle that

13 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Won’t they still be checking in hand luggage onboard to store while waiting for your cabin to become available? I’ve never encountered a melee when doing so but there’s the possibility of a short wait while they handle that

Hope so...we are not in a penthouse!

A couple of times we found  long lines to check in hand luggage.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks  I have not heard of that one

I am such a connoisseur of  champagnes  😎 NOT!!

But I do know the ones I like

Me too!  When she lost her husband she turned... pink!

39 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Hope so...we are not in a penthouse!

A couple of times we found  long lines to check in hand luggage.

The process was seamless yesterday. Less than 20 paces from the gangway to the hand luggage desk. Five staff members working the luggage desk. We were then surrounded by at least four waiters with full trays of champagne. Headed straight to Waterside for lunch, with enough champagne to launch another  ship. We didn’t pay any attention to the champagne label....we liked the taste and that was really all that mattered!

Rob

7 minutes ago, ryndam said:

The process was seamless yesterday. Less than 20 paces from the gangway to the hand luggage desk. Five staff members working the luggage desk. We were then surrounded by at least four waiters with full trays of champagne. Headed straight to Waterside for lunch, with enough champagne to launch another  ship. We didn’t pay any attention to the champagne label....we liked the taste and that was really all that mattered!

Rob

Great to hear...counting down to our Serenity cruises in December.

20 minutes ago, ryndam said:

The process was seamless yesterday. Less than 20 paces from the gangway to the hand luggage desk. Five staff members working the luggage desk.

Rob

new to Crystal  so where is the hand luggage desk   is it on the ship or before you board ?

I usually just keep it with me  as I have meds & valuables

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

new to Crystal  so where is the hand luggage desk   is it on the ship or before you board ?

When you board the ship, you have the option of leaving your carry on in a secure spot so you do not have to roll it or carry it while you wait for your cabin to be ready.  It's tagged and you get a claim check.  I might not check jewelry or high value electronics, but the majority of carry on is nice to leave behind while you go to Waterside or Trident for lunch

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Yes it is on the ship and quite safe. Alternatively, even if not in a PH or higher, if you wander up to your room, the door will be open, you can put the valuables in the safe and the carryons in the closet, then go enjoy lunch. Sometimes the fire doors are closed at the elevator lobby which prevents doing this, but for the most part the cabins are accessible.

I never carry valuables on trips...best left in the bank IMO.

But, I do leave my bag with my meds . Just makes it easy.

2 hours ago, Emdee said:

I never carry valuables on trips...best left in the bank IMO.

But, I do leave my bag with my meds . Just makes it easy.

I guess my idea of valuables is different than yours 😉

I consider my meds & laptop  valuables....will carry my  camera with us

31 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I guess my idea of valuables is different than yours 😉

I consider my meds & laptop  valuables....will carry my  camera with us

Meds are not just valuable...they are invaluable. I guess I was thinking you meant jewellery.

We always leave meds, lap tops, camera equipment, iPads in the cabins and trust  the Crystal staff and consider leaving it on embarkation day no different.On our Crystal cruise after our Safari my DD carried a huge number of costly lenses for the 5000 plus pictures she took and happily left it in the secure care of the Crystal staff. 

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Remember they will also try and give you the alternate embarkation day champagne not the Jacquart Brut that is normally served 

"The horror, the horror"

7 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Meds are not just valuable...they are invaluable. I guess I was thinking you meant jewellery.

I take nice costume jewellery   but still would not want to lose it

I just want to know if it was stored on the ship or in the terminal

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I take nice costume jewellery   but still would not want to lose it

I just want to know if it was stored on the ship or in the terminal

Last February on Symphony the hand carry holding area was near the reception desk next to the Cove at a table with two Crystal Employees standing right there with the cases.  I would leave my hand carry there, no problem!

~Nancy

17 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

That’s been the case since at least January 2019 

I kind of wish they’d take a new one each time but now they’re no longer on the access card I guess it doesn’t really matter

I passed on taking a new one because I figured the same thing -- for the back-office purposes and the two seconds it flashes on the screen with each scan the old one was fine.  Besides, it's not like I'm getting better looking with age.  lol

At least you have the option of always getting a new one every time if you like.  They offered everyone to re-take it pretty enthusiastically when I checked in last.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

On 11/18/2019 at 1:12 PM, ryndam said:

At the muster drill, there were staff with tablets that scanned your room key card to make sure you were present at the drill. No more staff bellowing out cabin numbers to take attendance.

For both my Serenity muster drills they had a clipboard and paper.  I don't think they've called out every room number for a couple of years.

Roy