Cagney's Lobster upcharge to the dining package is back?

fstuff1

3 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Nope,  you are the one who is misunderstanding the terms. The terms both currently, and in the past, have addressed changes for "additional entrees." In the past, before the recent rise in menu prices at the SRs, the charge for an "additional entree" was a flat $10. If the terms meant what you mistakenly think that they mean, the terms would also say "additional appetizer charges may apply," since they are surcharging for apps, too. Again, you have helped to make another point - that the terms not only need to be followed, but that they also need to be super clear, so that even Homer Simpson can understand them 🙂 PS you clearly don't mind being taken advantage of, and will "gladly" pay any surcharge rather than intelligently question it. Not everyone feels the same. If in fact you are so chill, I don't quite understand why you care so much about defending an unethical (and possibly illegal) business practice. Feel free to pay whatever NCL throws your way, despite contradictory terms and conditions. It won't bother me at all. But please don't try to shame me and other customers into doing the same.

Think we're just going to end up disagreeing on this one, and that's cool.  I'll agree that the wording could be better, but it seems NCL's legal team is probably fine with the way they've set it out in their Terms and Conditions.  If you feel like NCL is violating those conditions, take 'em to task on it.  It could be worth enough to buy a damned lot of lobster tails.  

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't like the fees either.  The difference here is that if I don't want to pay the fee, I won't avail myself of the service.  It's my opinion that taking advantage of the service and then refusing to pay for it on ethical grounds is unethical in and of itself.  

11 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't like the fees either.  The difference here is that if I don't want to pay the fee, I won't avail myself of the service.  It's my opinion that taking advantage of the service and then refusing to pay for it on ethical grounds is unethical in and of itself.  

The problem is, many people don't know about the fees until it's too late, which is I think what NCL banks on. Some don't find out until the are siting at the restaurant. Others find out here. For me, it's already too late bc as far as I'm concerned, once I've purchased the SDP based on your terms, you and I must follow them, not just me. I am a planner and I made my reservations 80 days out. I'm not eating at 9pm somewhere else now b/c NCL decided to change its terms afterwards. And as far as ethics, I have issue with the ethics of NCL, not the consumer who has been duped. IMO, there is nothing wrong with holding a party up to his end of a bargain. In fact, not only is there nothing wrong with it, it is 100% the right thing to do. If I am willing to play by the rules, NCL must also be willing.

Edited by schildiams
  • Like 1

As long as the fees are printed on the menu, it's not "too late."  If there was no mention on the menu, then they charged you 19 bucks, then you have a problem.

I'm going on the Breakaway next week and was looking forward to Surf & Turf in Ocean Blue.  I'll probably just get one of the many other offerings on the menu that come without a surcharge.  I'm disappointed, but the last few years there's been no lobster on the ships at all so this really isn't changing my cruise experience.

33 minutes ago, kpjb said:

As long as the fees are printed on the menu, it's not "too late."  If there was no mention on the menu, then they charged you 19 bucks, then you have a problem.

I'm going on the Breakaway next week and was looking forward to Surf & Turf in Ocean Blue.  I'll probably just get one of the many other offerings on the menu that come without a surcharge.  I'm disappointed, but the last few years there's been no lobster on the ships at all so this really isn't changing my cruise experience.

For you, it may not be too late. That's fine. You do you. But for me, I already paid for the package to the tune of $250 over what I've already paid for my included food in the MDR, and the package apparently is not refundable on board, so its definitely too late if I find out in the restaurant. But honestly its not about when I find out, it's about the fact that I shouldn't be finding out about additional charges at any time at all, because  NCL has terms and conditions on line that I read when I purchased the package that state that all items except the seafood extravaganza in the raw bar are included in the cost of the SDP. I shouldn't have to change my plans on their whim. They expect me to follow their terms, and I expect them to follow them, too. Don't tell me one thing before I purchase a package, and then change the terms (without officially changing the terms, interestingly enough) after the fact. I wouldn't put up with that at any business, and neither should you. But again, you do you. I won't tell you what to do. I'll do me 🙂

Edited by schildiams
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Seriously, why all the hand wringing about Cagney’s?  In all honesty, just go to one of the other specialty restaurants like LeBistro, Tepanyaki, LaCucina, etc.  They were excellent on my last cruise on the Breakaway.  Didn’t miss dining in Cagney’s at all.  And, you won’t have to worry about upcharges, if your lobster is big enough, the size of your shrimp, etc.  If you’re sailing one of the newer ships, try something like the Food Republic....also, excellent.  

Problem solved!

The problem may not be solved; what if they get away with these extra charges at Cagney's and decide to do the same with La Cucina, Tepanyaki and Le Bistro? Seems to me if customers continue to pay the extra charges without giving them feedback, they will continue in other venues. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gypsygirl100% said:

The problem may not be solved; what if they get away with these extra charges at Cagney's and decide to do the same with La Cucina, Tepanyaki and Le Bistro? Seems to me if customers continue to pay the extra charges without giving them feedback, they will continue in other venues. Just sayin'.

We've been hit with the limits in different restaurants so Cagney's isn't the only one doing it.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:57 AM, Gypsygirl100% said:

I have sailed NCL a lot recently.  I’ve criticized them quite a bit recently.  Restaurants and the service/food they offer isn’t one of the things I found fault with.  Matter of fact, I’ve found it to be quite good, regardless of the venue (free or specialty).

That said, I’ve yet to run into anyone who paid for something that wasn’t covered under the Specialty Dining Plan.  If there’s an extra charge, don’t order that item.  Believe me, lobsters, unless fresh and from Maine, aren’t the delicacies some believe they are.  Same for puny shrimp.

I was on the Breakaway in Sept, and the Escape this last Spring.  I ate in LeBistro, LaCucina, Bayamo, Tepanyaki, Food Republic (Escape), in addition to the free venues.  I never ordered anything that they charged me extra for (even though I was told in CC I would be). I was always delighted with my food.  

Bottom line, while I do take issue with other parts of how NCL operates, their food and drinks aren’t one of them.