Great Stirrup Cay Island

farkell

We are booked to go to the Bahamas in April on the Bliss, stopping at Great Stirrup Cay.  Does anyone know what's included and what might be extra $$$? (We have the drink package).

Any recommendations are appreciated. 

Drink package works the same on the island - though choice will be reduced to some extent. A BBQ buffet is for lunch, there's a taco place too. Loungers are included and umbrellas if you can find em. Pretty much everything else is extra (renting clamshells, snorkeling gear/kayaks/paddleboards, any excursions).

It's a tender port so there's always a chance you won't make it. 

35 minutes ago, farkell said:

Thank you for your response.  I saw that it was a tender port on the itinerary but wasn't really sure what that meant. Why might there be a chance we won't make it?

if the water is rough they won't go - they use boats (sometimes lifeboats) to get you there so waves can make for a rocky ride... decision not usually made until day of & if missed you usually either have another sea day or if possible, go to Bahamas early... it's a nice relaxing day at the beach & you can eat & drink the same as on the ship... they also have cabanas (cost extra) that look real nice... I've made it there 5 out 6 times & really enjoy that day... have a great cruise!

We are 5 successful visits out of 6 attempts. It is a free beach day. Food and drinks (if you have a drunk package) are free along with use of the beach and loungers.  There are additional water toys that you can rent if you want. Like any port, there are a limited number of shore excursions on the island including swimming with the mata rays, swimming with pigs, wave runners.

We strongly recommend renting a clam shell. There is little shade on the island and the sun can be brutal. Clam shells can be rented onboard before you arrive on the island. 

I'm 2 for 3, the missed one was due to a hurricane that forced us to Key West instead.

Has anyone seen the RCCL commercial on TV for their Coco Cay stop? It looks like a mini Disney park. Kind of gives me ideas.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farkell said:

We just purchased full face snorkel masks, has anyone used them before?  Is it worth snorkeling at GSC?  Also how much does a renting a clam shell cost?

Thanks to everyone for the responses btw. 

We have had full face masks for several years now and LOVE them!  Will never buy anything else. We always go snorkeling at GSC.  You will see some fish, not a lot but some.  Out by the rocks you will see a lot more.  The water can be quite chilly though if you go in the winter months.  Easy to get use to though once you are in.

The last time we were on the Epic, rented a clamshell.  It was $39 for the day.  I would never do it again.  It was like a sauna inside.  There are plenty of palm trees to sit under and that is what we prefer.

image.png.cd2355ef74c845bc9b0d4ff8a20c92e3.png

Edited by ready2cruzagain

2 hours ago, farkell said:

We just purchased full face snorkel masks, has anyone used them before?  Is it worth snorkeling at GSC?  Also how much does a renting a clam shell cost?

The snorkel area is a bit out from shore. If you're wanting to snorkel near shore you won't see much - between the waves and all the people stirring up the sand and the people chasing the fish away. I believe they sunk some stuff out in the snorkel area in hopes of fish hanging out there, but I've never made it out there. 

4 minutes ago, cinsans said:

Very little shade on the island.You can rent an umbrella for $21 thru the shore excursion desk on board before arriving at the island. The umbrella rental includes two lounge chairs. 

last time i was there i was on what i call the '3rd beach' as it was farther from the  ship and had a vented clamshell and thought it was good.

i was unaware of umbrellas. not saying they werent there, just that i didnt remember them. are they only at a particular place? reason i ask. i just googled pics of GSC and on most of the pics its just rows of chairs and literally no umbrellas. plus id imagine if you put one up your neighbor may not like it

They are located in front of the small cabanas.  The umbrellas are  installed in the ground and can't be moved.The umbrellas are locked and you will need to show your excursion ticket showing you paid for the umbrella to staff at the beach before they will open it. The staff will assign you an umbrella with two lounge chairs. 

If you are Silver latitude member or above don't forget to ask for the 10% discount on shore excursions when renting umbrellas, snorkeling equipment, etc. 

6 minutes ago, cinsans said:

They are located in front of the small cabanas.  The umbrellas are  installed in the ground and can't be moved.The umbrellas are locked and you will need to show your excursion ticket showing you paid for the umbrella to staff at the beach before they will open it. The staff will assign you an umbrella with two lounge chairs. 

If you are Silver latitude member or above don't forget to ask for the 10% discount on shore excursions when renting umbrellas, snorkeling equipment, etc. 

good to know about the 10% but the 50 shore credit would pay for 2 umbrellas (3 ppl). which brings up something else. how close to each other are they. will the 3rd person be far away?

17 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

good to know about the 10% but the 50 shore credit would pay for 2 umbrellas (3 ppl). which brings up something else. how close to each other are they. will the 3rd person be far away?

The umbrellas are in long rows on the beach. Just let the staff know you want two umbrellas next to each other.  

6 hours ago, farkell said:

Google the safety of full face mask for snorkeling as we bought 2 but sent them back as we researched them after reading more about them and some accidents involved them in Hawaii. They may have been improved but ours were faulty.
Something about air not exchanging properly.

We enjoy our old gear as it’s safe. We always snorkel with a pool noodle and rash guard. Making it easier for flotation.