Rental Car Review and Tips - Hertz: Kona - Hilo - Maui - Kauai

ebay33

Our ship--the Grand Princess--is docking in Kahului on our December 20 cruise.  This was a change from the original plan which was Lahaina, but a welcome one for us.  Lahaina is a bit too carnival-like for me, after you have been there several times.  And you are close to the airport car rentals by shuttle.  Plenty of interesting car destinations from Kahului without having to drive an hour first.

3 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

While I don't like tendering, I'd much prefer to have Lahaina be the port stop than Kahului.

Same-- Lahaina would have been my preferred too. Kahului you are close to maybe Paia and can get a jump on the Hana road but other than that you are driving a bit to get most other places, especially beaches. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

While I don't like tendering, I'd much prefer to have Lahaina be the port stop than Kahului.

Totally agree. West coast of Maui is far more interesting than non-tourist area of Kahalui. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

This was a change from the original plan which was Lahaina, but a welcome one for us.  Lahaina is a bit too carnival-like for me, after you have been there several times.

I read this a few times and am still trying to make sense of it. I've been to Maui far more times than this poster has and am trying to figure out the "carnival" part of it or why anyone would want to end up in Kahalui when the ship was kind enough to bring them over to Lahaina. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:44 PM, princeton123211 said:

I read this a few times and am still trying to make sense of it. I've been to Maui far more times than this poster has and am trying to figure out the "carnival" part of it or why anyone would want to end up in Kahalui when the ship was kind enough to bring them over to Lahaina. 

My first time to Maui was in 1983, at which point we bought a condo there.  Since then we've been to Maui more than 30 times, and have traveled that death highway between the center of Maui around Olowalu to Kaanapali innumerable times.   If you want T-shirt shops, restaurants, art studios, and Lahaina history (which is considerable and very interesting, but read Michener first), then Lahaina is for you.  Oops--forgot golf a way north.  But central and eastern Maui are absolutely loaded with interest.  Look it up.

1 hour ago, GoHuskies! said:

My first time to Maui was in 1983, at which point we bought a condo there.  Since then we've been to Maui more than 30 times, and have traveled that death highway between the center of Maui around Olowalu to Kaanapali innumerable times.   If you want T-shirt shops, restaurants, art studios, and Lahaina history (which is considerable and very interesting, but read Michener first), then Lahaina is for you.  Oops--forgot golf a way north.  But central and eastern Maui are absolutely loaded with interest.  Look it up.

My story is similar to you...have had a timeshare since 1985, been to Maui over 30 times. But virtually any part of Maui is better than Kahalui.

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

My story is similar to you...have had a timeshare since 1985, been to Maui over 30 times. But virtually any part of Maui is better than Kahalui.

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yeah--I admit that Kahului itself is pretty boring--the most I can say is that it's a quick foot trip over to the Maui Mall where the Guri Guri shop has the best gelato-like "ice cream" you'll ever find.  But it's a central place for sites in almost any direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 11:32 AM, GoHuskies! said:

Since then we've been to Maui more than 30 times, and have traveled that death highway between the center of Maui around Olowalu to Kaanapali innumerable times.

If by "death highway" you mean Kahekili Highway, it runs from Wailuku to Kapalua and not around Olowalu to Kaanapali.

On 8/31/2021 at 2:34 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

If by "death highway" you mean Kahekili Highway, it runs from Wailuku to Kapalua and not around Olowalu to Kaanapali.

Nope.  Honoapiilani highway.  I did drive Kahekili in 1983, at night, before it was paved or even graded in places.  I don't consider that a highway, or at least one that people might take to get to Wailuku, Kahului or Kihei.