Can I bring a fan??

Katelynw98

How big of a fan can you bring on a Carnival cruise ship? My fiance and I are so hot-natured, and I am afraid that we will be miserable on the ship.  I have heard that most staterooms do not get very cold, so we want to bring a fan but we don't know how big of one we can bring.  Also, does it have to be in a box if we bring it in our carry-on luggage?

I have brought my own fan on many cruises, I have also ordered a fan to be in my room by calling the cruise line a month or so prior to sailing to have them provide a fan for my room . Only Holland America confiscated my fan upon boarding on a cruise a few years ago. It was about a 12  or 10 inch fan.

17 hours ago, yogibear said:

John Heald posted over on book of faces that: Yes, you can bring a fan but it has to be less than 12 inches in diameter and has to be in your carry-on luggage.

Karen

Is the part about the fan having to be in carry-on luggage new?  We have brought an O2 Cool fan like this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Treva-O2cool-10-In-Fan-W-Ac-Adapter/711601509

several times, and always in checked luggage with no problems.

I've seen plenty of people say they took, or saw others with, a box fan. Whether or not that's changed, I don't know. Guest Services should have a limited number of fans to borrow, so if you want one of those, the sooner you ask, the better.

It should be in good condition. I don't think it has to be in the box. I take a 10" portable fan that I bought in the camping section of Walmart probably about 10 years ago. It's still in great condition and even in its original box. They just want to make sure it doesn't pose a hazard.

I like to carry mine on for one big reason. Terminal security are not employed by Carnival and have sometimes been known to question items that Carnival does allow. If that happens, I'd rather the fan be with me so I can  talk to them about it if they question it. Plead my case, if you will. If it's in your checked luggage and gets confiscated, you won't know about it until you get to your cabin and get the letter notifying you that it was removed.

Side note, I always take a long extension cord with us (9-10 ft.). That way I can move the fan right next to the bed where I like it, both for airflow and white noise. It's also long enough to position it in the bathroom to help air it out after showers while we're getting ready. Sometimes the cabin AC is good, sometimes it's not. We've had a fairly warm cabin, even though it was turned up all the way, and a very cool cabin without having to turn it up. It's a crap shoot.