End of cruise summary

Tangoqueen

We disembarked QV on 16/11 and did not receive the usual report from the Bridge summarising where we’ve been, route followed, weather etc.  Have Cunard stopped doing this now?  

I was also disappointed not to receive an email questionnaire this time too.  I always completed the questionnaires onboard previously and completed the emailed ones once we arrived home.  It’s a shame that feedback wasn’t easily available.

I mentioned about the lack of questionnaires in another thread. On last month's cruise on the QE we received neither one for our cabin or one by email when we arrived home. I questioned this with them by email and although they said they collate the information 7 days after the cruise, they still sent me one by email.

About your first point, we've rarely received a copy of the ship's log. Maybe they're trying to save on paper.

Edited by Ray66

The Voyage summery is all down to  one of the Bridge officers ( usually left to a young/newbie cadet, if he has time to put it together) 

It's always a hit and miss ! however, they are still around , had a copy on the Alaska cruise earlier this year .

Edited by Bell Boy

2 hours ago, siforest65 said:

We didn’t get the Voyage summary but did receive the signed menus and an email questionnaire which I’ve completed.

We didn’t get menus either this time but have previously often seen them thrown into bins in the toilets. 

33 minutes ago, LEESRE said:

Also on our recent QV cruise we did not receive the email questionnaire when we arrived home. !!

There were quite a lot of unhappy people on the latest Canaries cruise so perhaps they don’t want negative reviews.

6 hours ago, Tangoqueen said:

We didn’t get menus either this time but have previously often seen them thrown into bins in the toilets. 

Sorry to hear of your Dining Room staff did not offer you a copy of several menus from your sailing,

Thru our sailing history especially with Cunard, we have not once ever not be presented a copy of a set of menus to us at the final dinner.

What makes them so special is the signatures of all the Dining Room Staff that served us as a kept sake memory to look back on.

Hope they don't forgot you on the next and future sailings.

Edited by BklynBoy8

11 hours ago, Tangoqueen said:

Guilty although I try an find a bin which keeps its contents discreet. There is no way I want to carry the menus home although I do tear of any personalised message and bin that at home..  Luckily, menu presentation seems to be waning.

We usually get a sailing's summary but don't bother taking it home these days.

This year was the first time since the last year of QE2, that we kept the menus as our son is travelling next year and wanted to see them.

I've never asked for menus to take home if staying in a land based hotel, nor in any restaurant and don't understand why people want them unless specifically requested by someone (like our son).

Incidentally, they now provide a folder in which to put any momentos to take home.

Stewart

I have all our menus (and daily programmes) dating back to the 1990s. I enjoy looking at them occasionally, and also find them useful for checking the more exaggerated claims on here about deteriorating food choices. I also have some land-based restaurant menus of special meals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I have all our menus (and daily programmes) dating back to the 1990s. I enjoy looking at them occasionally, and also find them useful for checking the more exaggerated claims on here about deteriorating food choices. I also have some land-based restaurant menus of special meals.

exlondoner,

We too like to keep a compliment of daily programmes and dining room menus besides some other items in paper from sailing pertaining to our trip for future references.

Granted that many travel (cruise) many times a year will accumulate quite a pile of memories in paper. We do not travel that often so our collection is not that large.

We agree with you and do also occasionally look at them before a upcoming cruise. Or during a cold and snowy night with a cup of Hot Chocolate remember our past voyages.

We too like to use them to refer to if we have any questions we can look up..

BTW.....We do not ask or request the copies of menus, they are happily presented to us......

21 hours ago, Tangoqueen said:

There were quite a lot of unhappy people on the latest Canaries cruise so perhaps they don’t want negative reviews.

Out of curiosity what do you think most people’s gripes were about? My guess is late departure from Lanzarote with an overnight silence, missing Lisbon and the rough days. 

I think missing Lisbon was a blow but guess the Captain wanted the extra time to go deeper into the Bay to avoid the worst of the storm. 

On the Thursday evening we got talking to another couple who were also in the Yacht club and we had to leave because it was very rough up there especially on a slippy dance floor. Anyway the guy reckoned that the stabilisers weren’t deployed to save fuel. 

I've been unlucky on my last 2 cruises, the previous one was to Guernsey in August and we had to go to Le Havre on that occasion due to the weather.

I got a questionnaire and tended to be sympathetic in my replies because I feel I have to put total faith in the Captain.

1 hour ago, siforest65 said:

Out of curiosity what do you think most people’s gripes were about? My guess is late departure from Lanzarote with an overnight silence, missing Lisbon and the rough days. 

I think missing Lisbon was a blow but guess the Captain wanted the extra time to go deeper into the Bay to avoid the worst of the storm. 

On the Thursday evening we got talking to another couple who were also in the Yacht club and we had to leave because it was very rough up there especially on a slippy dance floor. Anyway the guy reckoned that the stabilisers weren’t deployed to save fuel. 

I've been unlucky on my last 2 cruises, the previous one was to Guernsey in August and we had to go to Le Havre on that occasion due to the weather.

I got a questionnaire and tended to be sympathetic in my replies because I feel I have to put total faith in the Captain.

Si, a few gripes we heard included lack of updates re delay departing Lanzarote and subsequently missing Lisbon.  Shortage of sea sickness tablets.  Poor quality lectures during the day.  Variety of evening entertainment in the theatre (not helped possibly by inability to bring new acts on at Lisbon).

I think with the added sea day and unfortunate sea conditions (although it is November so have to be prepared) guests were getting a bit fed up and I did hear several saying they wouldn’t do that cruise again at that time of year.  Needless to say we are going to book again for next year any day now.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tangoqueen said:

Si, a few gripes we heard included lack of updates re delay departing Lanzarote and subsequently missing Lisbon.  Shortage of sea sickness tablets.  Poor quality lectures during the day.  Variety of evening entertainment in the theatre (not helped possibly by inability to bring new acts on at Lisbon).

I think with the added sea day and unfortunate sea conditions (although it is November so have to be prepared) guests were getting a bit fed up and I did hear several saying they wouldn’t do that cruise again at that time of year.  Needless to say we are going to book again for next year any day now.

that makes a lot of sense tbh. We only did a couple of theatre visits. Thought the comedian was good. The cruise seemed to have a big highlight at the end with the vocal quartet in the Queens Room,  shame about the early get up the next day. My mum is a diamond level member and messaged me to say we’d done something she hadn’t, namely 4 successive sea days. We enjoyed the relaxing and de-stress after a tough few months at work. 

Our only gripe was a food issue where my wife couldn’t eat her entree one night and Cunard showed a bit of a weak underbelly in trying to correct it but that’s life.

Would definitely do that cruise again.

edited to add that thankfully neither of us got seasick 

Edited by siforest65
  • Like 1

I've also had issues with pieces of the paper not being delivered. 

I went on a 7 nights to the Fjords in June and it was my 1st cruise as Platinum. I was a little disappointed not to receive my Platinum Pin, Wine Tasting invitation and Senior Officers cocktail party invitation.  With respect to the two invitations, I understand these aren't always held, so I didn't ask at the time, however it later transpired these events did take place. 

Thinking back, I didn't receive a voyage report at the end, but I did receive a questionnaire. 

• Like 1

As someone who was also on the most recent Canaries trip, I got the email survey, but no menus (not that I particularly care) nor a voyage summary.

Overall I was pretty positive in the survey. You can't really control the weather and overall I enjoyed the trip. As someone who's done a few transatlantic trips, I enjoy sea days!

• Like 2

We were also on the 4th November cruise to the Canaries. We did receive  the survey and also the daily menus.

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise   Have to agree with the lack of announcements from the Captain, after letting us know that we would be delayed leaving Lanzarote and saying he would update us in half an hour, we heard nothing more until later the next morning.   Not a problem missing ports for us, safety must come first.

We were in the PG and the movement in that restaurant was not too bad at all on the Thursday evening. Glad to say the dress code was being upheld in this restaurant with several gentlemen being asked to return to their cabins to fetch their jackets. Staff all over the ship were friendly in a professional manner.  Did not go to the theatre much, preferring to listen to the band  in the Yacht club most evenings.  Highlight for us was the rhythm and blues set in the Golden Lion, amazing. 

Looking to book for next year on this ship and would be happy to sail again in November as long as we get to see some sun....

On 11/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, siforest65 said:

On the Thursday evening we got talking to another couple who were also in the Yacht club and we had to leave because it was very rough up there especially on a slippy dance floor. Anyway the guy reckoned that the stabilisers weren’t deployed to save fuel

I guarantee that there is no possibility the stabilizers were retracted in rough weather to "save fuel".

Bear in mind though that the stabilizers mitigate rolling (side to side) and do nothing to mitigate pitching (the bow going up and down). But that movement should be minimal in any case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

But that movement should be minimal in any case.

If you have a forward stateroom on QV/QE the pitching can be noticeable. On the first day or two out of Los Angeles headed for Hawaii I could fell my body rising and falling in the mattress while trying to sleep. It wasn't a completely unpleasant sensation but there seemed to be more pitching than rolling.

12 hours ago, Cosmic Rays said:

What was the problem - we are due to sail in a fortnight, also to the Canaries.........

Bad weather mostly. This in turn caused rather rocky seas and a lot of sea sick people. Sea sickness pills were rationed because so many people were ill. High winds meant we left Lanzarote 14 hours late and had to skip Lisbon meaning 4 days at sea in which some people got a bit bored. The rocky seas culminated in a rather memorable dinner on the second to last night were everyone kept gripping the sides of the tables like we were on some sort of river rapids ride. Glasses and crockery were smashed. Wine bottles slid across the table. I heard about one lady who slept with her life jacket by her bed because she was so frightened.

My husband and I still had a good time even though we were looking forward to seeing Lisbon again. There were a few people who were quite disgruntled about not going to Lisbon and thought more could have been done to get there. I think missing a stop might have affected some of the entertainment but I don't tend to head to the theatre after dinner so I can't comment.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with the weather!

2 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

Bad weather mostly. This in turn caused rather rocky seas and a lot of sea sick people. Sea sickness pills were rationed because so many people were ill. High winds meant we left Lanzarote 14 hours late and had to skip Lisbon meaning 4 days at sea in which some people got a bit bored. The rocky seas culminated in a rather memorable dinner on the second to last night were everyone kept gripping the sides of the tables like we were on some sort of river rapids ride. Glasses and crockery were smashed. Wine bottles slid across the table. I heard about one lady who slept with her life jacket by her bed because she was so frightened.

My husband and I still had a good time even though we were looking forward to seeing Lisbon again. There were a few people who were quite disgruntled about not going to Lisbon and thought more could have been done to get there. I think missing a stop might have affected some of the entertainment but I don't tend to head to the theatre after dinner so I can't comment.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with the weather!

That is one of the "old" rumours that always goes around whenever there is rocky seas on a cruise. Nobody never knows the actual person but as heard from somebody else.

just a few queries about the rough seas, why would people not travel with their own medication to alleviate sea sickness, or did they run out and sort medical assistance on board?

we expect to take our own but imagine emergencies could occur.

what were the passengers given and what was the fee?