Cruise Critic Community
JoeMammy

Booking Back to Back While Onboard- Anyone?

So we leave out of Ft. Lauderdale on Sun, 11/24 on the NS. 7 niter. I'm seeing some significant price drops for the following cruise departing 12/1 with a slightly different itinerary. This will be our first HAL cruise (lots of NCL and X). We drive to Port Everglades about 4 hours. So if we like the NS and decide to go back to back will these good deals be available on board?

Maybe. Maybe not. Nobody is going to be able to tell you...it depends if they sell it out or not. If you want to be on the 12/1 sailing, I would book it now.

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Nobody is going to be able to tell you...it depends if they sell it out or not. If you want to be on the 12/1 sailing, I would book it now.

Amen.  The next week could sell out completely before you leave.  I'll echo what CruiserBruce said: If you want to cruise during that 2nd week, book now.  Nieuw Statendam is a lovely ship.  We sailed on her last Christmas. 

Do NOT expect the diversions that NCL offers.  You won't find any laser tag or go-cart racing.  HAL is laid-back; you basically entertain yourself during the day.  In the evening, you have three venues with live bands/dueling pianists.  The World Stage is a fabulous multi-screen (260 degrees) theater but is underutilized.  You won't see any large production show.  You also can enjoy Lincoln Center Stage, classical musicians.  HAL no longer has a library on the larger ships (or some of the smaller ships, for that matter), so bring your own reading material if you like to read.  

If you're trying HAL to see how this line fits with your preferences, you may not want to book a second week prior to experiencing the product.  What if you hate it?  Booking that second week means you're stuck.  On the other hand, if you love your experience, you can book another future cruise while on the ship, as the incentives are sometimes alluring.  In this case, you have another cruise to anticipate.  Since you're only four hours driving time from FLL, you could easily make the trip.  Ultimately, what you do (booking B2B now or waiting for a future cruise) is your call.  

Come back and let us know your impressions of NS and HAL.  Here's hoping you have a fabulous time.

1 hour ago, JoeMammy said:

So we leave out of Ft. Lauderdale on Sun, 11/24 on the NS. 7 niter. I'm seeing some significant price drops for the following cruise departing 12/1 with a slightly different itinerary. This will be our first HAL cruise (lots of NCL and X). We drive to Port Everglades about 4 hours. So if we like the NS and decide to go back to back will these good deals be available on board?

I have never seen anything like that advertised and the only time I heard of it was due to weather problems that created lots of missed flights and thus open cabins.  From what I can see, HAL tries real hard to "fill" the ship by about 2 weeks out (thus the price drops you are seeing).

Edited by DaveOKC

My TA is also checking current cabin availability. Booking now seems prudent but I won't be able to sell my better half on a b2b unless she loves the ship too, so if it happens it will happen while on board or contacting my TA on a port day.

We are both readers and have drifted away from NCL because of the family on board attractions. Plus I'm a pickleball junkie.

Don't count on cabins being available on the 12/1 cruise.  HAL has lowered prices now to sell those cabins and people will grab them.

I think you’re going to love it.  I would totally book now because it’s going to sell out fast.

The closest I’ve come to booking “onboard” was when the Zuiderdam couldn’t leave port in NYC due to a hurricane.  I called HAL (from home) and they put me through to the accounts department because the ship had “already sailed”, so to speak, but there were a lot of no-shows.  I remember, back in the day, my Dad heading down to the port on sailing day just to see if they had availability.  They’d score a deal, pack up and check out of their hotel, then head onboard.  Of course you can’t do that anymore but I know they had a lot of fun doing it.

If you decide to do it after you board you can check with Guest Services for availability.  Enjoy your cruise and welcome to HAL!!

Edited by *Miss G*
Stupid autocorrect

3 hours ago, JoeMammy said:

My guess is that if you book it now, you will be glad you did!

I suggest you call right away and see if the same cabin is available for both cruises so you won't have to change cabins. We booked 3 cruises B2B2B in March for 6 weeks and were able to book the same SY cabin.  

Several years ago we were doing a TA to Tampa on the Ryndam and mid crossing were offered a 'killer' fare to stay on for an additional week to the Western Caribbean.  So we took it.

Our experiences are a bit different. During several cruises, notices were distributed offering bargain fares for the next cruise. Unfortunately, we were not able to take advantage of these offers because of prior commitments.

On another cruise, we decided we would like to stay aboard for another 10 days. When we checked with the Front Office, we were told the ship was sold out.  I decided to check HAL's website and it showed quite a bit of availability. So I booked online through the website, selected a cabin, paid with my credit card and then took the booking number to the Front Office. Needless to say, they were surprised that we were able to book a cabin because they believed that they were full.  Yes, we had to change cabins but it was no big deal, the cabin stewards moved us. This happened a few years ago.

Regarding whether you should book the second week now or while on board, if you are not comfortable in completing the booking now, then wait. Just be aware that the second week will have a completely different vibe. Thanksgiving week will wind up being packed with families and the ship will sail full.

It is a possibility that the ship could sell out for your second week but it is highly unlikely.  People are getting over Thanksgiving and now focusing on the Holiday Season ahead. Schools are back in session and people are returning to their jobs. The fares are probably are as low as they are going to go for this sailing but you could check  on  Black Friday to see if they offer OBC/gratuities. 

11 hours ago, peanuts5454 said:

I suggest you call right away and see if the same cabin is available for both cruises so you won't have to change cabins. We booked 3 cruises B2B2B in March for 6 weeks and were able to book the same SY cabin.  

We have an aft Vista Suite. I'm sure they are gone for the second week. However, they are advertising Vista Suites (unassigned) with a bev package for a great deal.

1 hour ago, adrift@sea said:

Thanksgiving week will wind up being packed with families and the ship will sail full.

We sailed last year during txgiving on X out of the same port. There were very few children on board. The majority of the pax we met were Europeans, Aussies and Canadians. This was an 11 day cruise so that may have affected the kids not getting out of school. We like not having to cook, plan, host etc and there are usually great deals that week.