Random observations from aboard the Symphony

On 11/23/2019 at 8:22 AM,  wishIweretravelling said: 

"Then there’s the proliferation of 2-tops and couples who are on this cruise more as a getaway for time together than as a travel adventure.  That may be specific to a Caribbean cruise..."

My experience to date is that Caribbean cruises are more lively, and beget a friendlier vibe than others...well, in comparison to Med cruises we have also enjoyed.  One of my favorites was in Seabourn, where perfect strangers sung in elevators, stopped you to say how good you looked, invited you to their groups, etc.  This was not a booze cruise; these were people like you and me wanting to have a good time with fellow cruisers.  The M&M people also bonded very well, and that was a highlight of the cruise.  I am very much looking forward to a repeat performance in Crystal's December 6th's Caribbean cruise...why not?

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Bottled water is available, beach towels are available, iced towels are available in hot ports, beverages are usually available tender-side -- but NONE of these things are placed in the path of traffic where people in front of you stop or bottleneck.  Yes, heaven forbid you may have to go 5-10 steps out of your way to get them, but that means that unlike on some other lines, you're never in a bottleneck from the distractions. 

Ok I lied 😁

one more post

Vince  that is too bad on your Oceania cruise they placed the water & towels in the path of the exit doorway

Usually they set the tables up either side of the exit so you  have to step out of the line to pick up water/towels  before heading out the doorway

so as to not create  a bottleneck or hold up the line for those not wanting towels/water

It is not  a drawback   for me (well maybe a little)  it is just nice to know  that Crystal does things differently  so we can be sure to bring water with us before going to the exit

Thanks for sharing

14 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

For those with sensitive skin, are you O.K. with the laundry detergent in the self-serve washers?  I have sensitive skin, so pack all of my toiletries.  If the soap in the laundry room is O.K. for sensitive skin, I won't pack Tide Pod Frees.

Thanks!

I think that might be too much soap for those small machines. 

I also think some some people hold the button for way more than ten seconds, b/c there’s tons of soap suds in some machines while they’re running. Other people don’t count seconds as long as I do. 

T

9 hours ago, May B said:

I think that might be too much soap for those small machines. 

I also think some some people hold the button for way more than ten seconds, b/c there’s tons of soap suds in some machines while they’re running. Other people don’t count seconds as long as I do. 

Thanks for the information, May. It’s most appreciated. 

22 hours ago, Camillus112 said:
  On 11/23/2019 at 8:22 AM,  wishIweretravelling said: 

"Then there’s the proliferation of 2-tops and couples who are on this cruise more as a getaway for time together than as a travel adventure.  That may be specific to a Caribbean cruise..."

My experience to date is that Caribbean cruises are more lively, and beget a friendlier vibe than others...well, in comparison to Med cruises we have also enjoyed.  One of my favorites was in Seabourn, where perfect strangers sung in elevators, stopped you to say how good you looked, invited you to their groups, etc.  This was not a booze cruise; these were people like you and me wanting to have a good time with fellow cruisers.  The M&M people also bonded very well, and that was a highlight of the cruise.  I am very much looking forward to a repeat performance in Crystal's December 6th's Caribbean cruise...why not?

Hi Camillus. I agree about Caribbean cruises having a friendlier vibe than other cruises. The two week Caribbean cruise this October on the Crystal Symphony was a blast, but I have the feeling that I’m going to have to lower expectations for a Norwegian cruise I’ve booked in June on the Crystal Symphony. 🥳

20 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

I’m going to have to lower expectations for a Norwegian cruise I’ve booked in June on the Crystal Symphony.

We found our Norwegian cruise one of the nicest in terms of scenery but the onboard ambience was a little dull. No one seemed to be up and about very late and I would say 80% of the ship was dining early. We normally meet a lot of people when we cruise, especially around the bars of an evening - this cruise was the exception. Maybe it was just a rogue sailing but I think I've heard others comment that this seems to happen for some reason on this itinerary.

2 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

We found our Norwegian cruise one of the nicest in terms of scenery but the onboard ambience was a little dull. No one seemed to be up and about very late and I would say 80% of the ship was dining early. We normally meet a lot of people when we cruise, especially around the bars of an evening - this cruise was the exception. Maybe it was just a rogue sailing but I think I've heard others comment that this seems to happen for some reason on this itinerary.

Oh, I do hope this was a one off!  My very best wishes for a fun time to Mackenzie1 in his Norwegian Cruise.

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

Think there were of few of us on our Norway cruise that were out and about later in the evening and also late diners!!! 😀😀

Nancy

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Think there were of few of us on our Norway cruise that were out and about later in the evening and also late diners!!! 😀😀

Nancy

Very true, Nancy - thank goodness for you and Larry and the rest of your merry group!

2 hours ago, TER777 said:

Mackenzie1, Several friends and I (all solos), are on that cruise. You’re welcome to meet us in the Avenue. We’ll be there at midnight after dancing ends. 

How wonderful!  I’m traveling solo, too, and am so glad to find out that there will be other friendly solos on the Norwegian cruise.  It would be so much fun if Joe Spire is still playing at the Avenue, too. 

21 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Very true, Nancy - thank goodness for you and Larry and the rest of your merry group!

Your welcome...we need to do again...sooner than later!!! 😘

Maybe people we're tired from touring the beautiful country!!!  I forgot that the cruise was prior to open seating.  Most folks dined early on the majority of our cruises prior to open seating regardless of the itinerary.

xx

Nancy

5 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

....but I have the feeling that I’m going to have to lower expectations for a Norwegian cruise I’ve booked in June on the Crystal Symphony. 🥳

I'll be on the Norway cruise next June on the Symphony also. Right now they have John Randel listed for the Avenue.  I haven't sailed with him yet.  If I'm not in the Avenue, I'll be in the Cove until it closes most nights!  I'm up for some fun and it will still be light out at midnight as well!!!!

See you in June,

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
spelling
8 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Hi Camillus. I agree about Caribbean cruises having a friendlier vibe than other cruises. The two week Caribbean cruise this October on the Crystal Symphony was a blast, but I have the feeling that I’m going to have to lower expectations for a Norwegian cruise I’ve booked in June on the Crystal Symphony. 🥳

Well if you're on the June 19th cruise, I hope you're wrong because we're on that cruise and not only do we normally eat late (8-8:30 PM) but also tend to like to stay up late in the Avenue or wherever there's entertainment.

4 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

How wonderful!  I’m traveling solo, too, and am so glad to find out that there will be other friendly solos on the Norwegian cruise.  It would be so much fun if Joe Spire is still playing at the Avenue, too. 

He's not. John Randel is slated right now to be on the cruise. While he's an excellent piano player, he's no Joel Spire, Colin Salter or Mark Farris. He plays music and sings. He doesn't really connect with the audience. At least he didn't on the Atlantic Crossing we just got off. (However he'd be terrific in the Cove!)

Edited by AtA
13 hours ago, oakridger said:

I'll be on the Norway cruise next June on the Symphony also. Right now they have John Randel listed for the Avenue.  I haven't sailed with him yet.  If I'm not in the Avenue, I'll be in the Cove until it closes most nights!  I'm up for some fun and it will still be light out at midnight as well!!!!

See you in June,

~Nancy

Wonderful news, Nancy!  This cruise will be great.  A Lofoten is unbelievably beautiful. 

11 hours ago, AtA said:

He's not. John Randel is slated right now to be on the cruise. While he's an excellent piano player, he's no Joel Spire, Colin Salter or Mark Farris. He plays music and sings. He doesn't really connect with the audience. At least he didn't on the Atlantic Crossing we just got off. (However he'd be terrific in the Cove!)

If I may ask, how do you find out who will be the entertainment?  Since this will be a Crystal on Broadway cruise, I’m hoping that David Price will be on drums backing up the entertainers and Crystal singers and dancers. He’s very talented. 

11 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

If I may ask, how do you find out who will be the entertainment?  Since this will be a Crystal on Broadway cruise, I’m hoping that David Price will be on drums backing up the entertainers and Crystal singers and dancers. He’s very talented. 

I log into the Crystal site, find the cruise and then click the link for Onboard. When you get to the Onboard page, there's a link that says View Entertainment Programs. See photo below. Click on that link and it will say who the lecturers are, etc.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.21.57 PM.png

1 hour ago, AtA said:

I log into the Crystal site, find the cruise and then click the link for Onboard. When you get to the Onboard page, there's a link that says View Entertainment Programs. See photo below. Click on that link and it will say who the lecturers are, etc.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.21.57 PM.png

Thanks, AtA, for the great information!

Nancy

On 11/24/2019 at 11:30 PM, Keith1010 said:

I will repeat myself again which some will say is not unusual.

There are hundreds of bath products on the market and you see this when you go to the store. Shelves full of soaps, shampoo, conditioner and other bath products.

Why?

Because we are human beings and we are not all the same.

Some like scents.  Some don't care for scents.

Some have thick hair.  Some have thin hair.  Some have long hair.  Some have short hair.  Some have no hair.  (I'm starting to feel like the latter up top).  

Some have oily skin.

Some have dry skin.

Some have sensitivities to certain products.

Some can deal with whatever is provided.  Some can't.  

And the list goes on and on and on.

So for those who are going for their first time and are particular about what they use my recommendation is always to bring your own.  

And no matter what product Crystal or any Cruise Line would provide or Hotel some would be fine with it and some won't be fine with it.  My wife brings her own shampoo and conditioner and soap and the only way to avoid this is if Crystal provided precisely what she uses.  Is that practical to do for everyone.  I think NOT which is why if we visit family, travel only on land, travel only at sea or do a combination she brings her own.  She is not alone on this.

If it was so simple there would be a handful of products in the stores similar to buying Oatmeal or Raisin Bran Cereal.  It's just not so simple and impossible to please everyone.

And even as some lines do if there was some choice such as you can select from three or four body soaps I don't believe this would make things a whole lot different.

Keith

Sadly my computer lacks the sniff feature or I could ask you to message me the a whiff of the scent! 

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Time to get a new computer.  😎:classic_laugh:

Keith

Until we all have Smell-O-Vision compatible computers, maybe Cruise Critic should issue monthly Odorama scratch-cards that pair up to the conversations on the board?  lol 

Vince

On 11/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, wishIweretravelling said:

It may be peculiar to this cruise, but it takes about 30 minutes to get a drink at the pool. Consistently.  I’ve seen people go off to the bar themselves after getting tired of waiting.  This is not deadly or awful, it’s just the way it is. Not the best look for a luxury cruise line, but the way it is. I’ve notched it up to the distance the waiters must travel. It may be that the pool is more popular on this cruise than usual.  Certainly this is the first time on any cruise on Crystal, Regent, or Silversea that I’ve seen chair hogging.  So it might be an anomaly.  And certainly the service is crisp in the lounges all over the ship. Again, making me think that bar proximity is the issue.

No card about fruit bowl.  I didn’t think to ask, and really don’t need any more food anyway.  I was just noting some of the things that I thought were gone from prior cruises.

My one Regent cruise and many passengers took 2 pool chairs, one in the shade and one in the sun. That was chair hogging to a whole new level