Cruise Critic Community
wishIweretravelling

Random observations from aboard the Symphony

There were lots of empty chairs on my cruise on Serenity this week.  Well, not really empty.  They had books, sunglasses, sunscreen, hats...but not passengers.  I was quite surprised at the rudeness.

7 hours ago, teamflames said:

My one Regent cruise and many passengers took 2 pool chairs, one in the shade and one in the sun. That was chair hogging to a whole new level 

14 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

There were lots of empty chairs on my cruise on Serenity this week.  Well, not really empty.  They had books, sunglasses, sunscreen, hats...but not passengers.  I was quite surprised at the rudeness.

🙄🤨🤔

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Having experienced the same thing on my Symphony cruise the week before Thanksgiving, I'd say that there is a direct correlation between this phenomenon and first time Crystal cruisers. My cruise was majority first timers and I suspect from various observations that the majority of those had never cruised on a luxury, all inclusive line before. For those who return to Crystal, let's hope that they will learn the "rules of the road".

Patty

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Having experienced the same thing on my Symphony cruise the week before Thanksgiving, I'd say that there is a direct correlation between this phenomenon and first time Crystal cruisers. My cruise was majority first timers and I suspect from various observations that the majority of those had never cruised on a luxury, all inclusive line before. For those who return to Crystal, let's hope that they will learn the "rules of the road".

Patty

This too has been our experience Patty.  While some Crystal Society members also do this a far greater number appears to be first timers.  This is further exasperated on sailings with a large percentage of first timers on board and this tends to be more prevalent on sailings of the Caribbean.  This is why this item is not mentioned very often.

Keith

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Having experienced the same thing on my Symphony cruise the week before Thanksgiving, I'd say that there is a direct correlation between this phenomenon and first time Crystal cruisers. My cruise was majority first timers and I suspect from various observations that the majority of those had never cruised on a luxury, all inclusive line before. 

Patty

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This too has been our experience Patty.  While some Crystal Society members also do this a far greater number appears to be first timers.  This is further exasperated on sailings with a large percentage of first timers on board and this tends to be more prevalent on sailings of the Caribbean.  This is why this item is not mentioned very often.

Keith

Not disputing what other posters have experienced, but some of this may depend on time-of-day around the pool. On our pre-Thanksgiving 7-day cruise, on the full two sea days we were occupied with other activities until mid-afternoon. When we went up to the pool around 2:30pm, there were an abundance of unoccupied chairs and loungers around the pool, both in full sun and in the shade. On the port days, we pretty much had our own private pool deck to ourselves.

We did not have a balcony cabin on this cruise. We never had any problem securing at least two loungers in the shade, aft on either deck 8 or deck 9. Most of the time, those rear decks were our own private balconies, with no one else even using the rear, outdoor stairs.

Rob

Rob, I agree with you that time of day is can be a factor.  Also time of day coupled with the outside temperature.  As I often say no two cruises are the same.

Now when I am up in the AM, never a problem getting an outdoor lounge chair or for that matter an indoor elliptical machine.  :classic_laugh:

Keith

There are also “legitimate” reasons users in the pool restrooms etc. people are people and rudeness is unfortunately part of that 

as to drinks we have found by the second or third session on the decks we were brought drinks before we could even be settled or ask. Even after 6 months sometimes our wishes were anticipated 

A funny—we’re on Serenity, now docked in St Thomas. The only other ship in port is the Carnival Fascination. A short while ago, my BIL was on a shuttle bringing guests back to both ships. Some folks jumped off for the Carnival ship, and the driver asked if anyone else was boarding there before heading to Serenity?

One couple remarked loudly and imperiously, “Do WE look like Carnival people??”

Oh dear.

5 minutes ago, CeciltheSeaSerpent said:

A funny—we’re on Serenity, now docked in St Thomas. The only other ship in port is the Carnival Fascination. A short while ago, my BIL was on a shuttle bringing guests back to both ships. Some folks jumped off for the Carnival ship, and the driver asked if anyone else was boarding there before heading to Serenity?

Oh dear.

And this is where I would be saying to myself - "Oy vey"  😀

Hope you are having a nice time on board.

Keith

1 hour ago, CeciltheSeaSerpent said:

Oh dear.

We are on the same cruise, and having a fabulous time. I will post a mini-review when I get home. This is a funny story!

39 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

We are on the same cruise, and having a fabulous time. I will post a mini-review when I get home. This is a funny story!

So am I!  So many of this thread readers in Serenity now, why not start our own thread?  Wish I were tech savvy to do it.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:04 AM, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We saw the same on Symphony last month.  Had never experienced this before.  Many loungers had things on them early in the morning when I was grabbing a coffee.  I hope this doesn’t continue. Totally agree with others who have said it may be “ first timers”.  It was such a turn off to see,  reality detracts from the beautiful atmosphere of the pool deck and the overall vibe:(

On 12/8/2019 at 6:39 AM, Keith1010 said:

Keith

Such as WCers who have their chairs reserved as early as 7AM!!🙄

5 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Such as WCers who have their chairs reserved as early as 7AM!!🙄

It had been four years  since our last World Cruise but sometimes things change. On the 2019

WC I didn't see and specific chairs reserved.  😎 😎

Keith

Check out the group of chairs in the shade on the starboard side. We weren't there in '19 but we were there for a couple of years prior. Towels, books, etc. all there before breakfast! Maybe those people won't be on board this time!

1 hour ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Check out the group of chairs in the shade on the starboard side. We weren't there in '19 but we were there for a couple of years prior. Towels, books, etc. all there before breakfast! Maybe those people won't be on board this time!

I know precisely who you are referring to.

It is only one couple so it's not like tons of chairs have been reserved.  I'm not condoning it but just saying.........

They were not on in 2019 and have no other World Cruises planned.  😀

Keith

22 hours ago, CeciltheSeaSerpent said:

Oh dear.

maybe the same lady we met in the Cove the other night 😂

On 12/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, Keith1010 said:

I know precisely who you are referring to.

It is only one couple so it's not like tons of chairs have been reserved.  I'm not condoning it but just saying.........

They were not on in 2019 and have no other World Cruises planned.  😀

Keith

Keith, you do seem to keep tabs on much about Crystal!

2 hours ago, May B said:

Keith, you do seem to keep tabs on much about Crystal!

Muriel, often this kind of stuff I wouldn't even know about.  However, this is near the stairs that I use a few times a day as I go back and forth playing paddle tennis so you would have to be blind not to see it.  Full disclosure though.  I am not a pool person (never ever been in the Serenity or Symphony pools) nor do I sit out by the pool.  But I do travel that area because of paddle tennis.  😀

Keith