Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
CarlieInSF

Ship Time vs PV Time - Princess

We are going on the Royal Princess out of Long Beach over New Years.  We have Mazatlan New Years Eve (1 hour time difference from Long Beach) and then PV on New Years Day (2 hours later than Long Beach).   Has anyone been on Princess recently and can tell me if they will be changing the time between Mazatlan and PV?

I am hoping not because we will lose an hour of sleep on New Years Eve night and excursions are early that next morning!!

Thank you!!

Have you asked on the Princess board, as this is really about Princess policy and procedure?

PV is always a tricky one, as it is right on the line between two time zones. Most cruise lines go to the local time.

In the past, on most of my Princess Mex Riv cruises, the ship did NOT adjust to local time for PV, and this caused some people confusion.  Fortunately, the ship's clocks were BEHIND local time, so no one was late getting back to the ship because of this discrepancy -- they just missed their last hour ashore and returned to the ship one hour early.

On the Nov 2 Royal Princess from San Pedro to Mex Riv (NOT from Long Beach, which is completely different cruise terminal -- are you sure you have it right?), ship's time was the same as local time for all three ports -- Cabo, Mazatlán and PV.  Because this voyage included the end of Daylight Savings Time in the US, the ship left the clocks completely unadjusted for Cabo and Mazatlán -- failing to adjust the clocks back for the end of DST was the same as advancing the clocks one hour for time zone -- and we then adjusted the clocks one hour for PV.  Coming back to LA, we had two separate one hour adjustments.

Of course, with so many people having "smart phones", and most people using their phones on the ship thanks to the "apps" that the Cruise Lines are encouraging us to use, a lot of people's phones automatically adjusted for the switch from DST to Standard Time (even though the ship's time did not), and this confused people.  

Thank you both for the info. I will check the Princess Board but sounds like I may just have to wait to see what our ship does. And you are right Mike45, it is San Pedro!  Your time changes do seem very confusing.  I was just hoping to avoid a time change on New Years Eve with our early excursion.  Guess we can sleep on our 2 sea days home 🙂